I love my MP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor einer Stunde schrieb Huss:

I never noticed any magenta touch from my Asph V1.  Did that claim come from digital camera users where many sensors have slight colour influences baked into their algorithms?  Or from M8/M9 users where (especially the 8 ) where the sensor was susceptible to purple tones due to the cover glass?

I don't know what kind of cameras they are using but i read this many times in this forum and also that the coating of the v2 makes such warm tones, so i decided to try&buy the second one.

Edited by Dzongkha

On 5/21/2023 at 9:39 AM, Dzongkha said:

I don't know what kind of cameras they are using but i read this many times in this forum and also that the coating of the v2 makes such warm tones, so i decided to try&buy the second one.

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, AndrewArnott said:

Hey Guys just bought my first ever leica mp and leica in general and was wondering what lens to get ? looking around the £400-£600 range and having a tough time choosing what to to go with so looking for some suggestions.

Try this :

https://www.tli-processing.com/product-page/dj-optical-boyer-paris-50mm-f1-1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Voigtländer Color Skopar f2,5 35mm can be found used for under 400 EUR in mint/new condition. A little lens that works nicely on film and with flaws on digital but is sharp and ok to the edges on film. Great beginner's lens and/or a superb crash lens when things get rough, and a proper Summicron is too valuable for the mission. Own both, and the Color Skopar gets lots of use. Won't use it on digital, though, as it vignettes too much.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AndrewArnott said:

Hey Guys just bought my first ever leica mp and leica in general and was wondering what lens to get ? looking around the £400-£600 range and having a tough time choosing what to to go with so looking for some suggestions.

Not sure for how much it is going these days, but a Leica Elmar-M 2.8/50mm (i.e., the latest version) is a terrific choice for an MP. Otherwise, maybe a Canon 1.4/50mm in LTM mount with M adapter. 

• Like 1

MP & M-A

and some summilux lenses

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by FilmSpiel
  • Like 17

On 6/6/2023 at 8:35 PM, AndrewArnott said:

Begin by thinking about which focal length you might prefer.  

With a budget of £400-600, your best bet would be to look at the Voigtlander range.  Something like the 35mm f1.4 nokton ii would be within reach or save a bit more money for a 50mm f1.5 nokton ii.  With either of those you’re getting close to Leica M image quality and in the case of the 35mm f1.4, some similar character to the summilux pre asph for a fraction of the cost of a Leica summilux in either focal length.

A no- brainer given your budget, imo.

Good luck with your new MP, you’ll love it!

• Like 3

On 5/23/2023 at 3:22 PM, BillyBarnack said:

Will an M4 (or other) base plate fit on an MP, and enable the use of IXMOO cassettes with the MP?

Well the bottom plate will fit just like the m-motor fit the m4-p, m6, mp and m-a.  I sold 2 m4 and my m4p after I got my 2 m-a so I can't validate but if I remember well, I had the same thing on my mind and, always if my memories are right I concluded the need to also interchange the body bottom plate, the one you take off to adjust the drum's tension.  (with the diagram for the film parkour).  I may be wrong and maybe just changing the bottom plate would be enough.

5 hours ago, lekitr said:

Well the bottom plate will fit just like the m-motor fit the m4-p, m6, mp and m-a.  I sold 2 m4 and my m4p after I got my 2 m-a so I can't validate but if I remember well, I had the same thing on my mind and, always if my memories are right I concluded the need to also interchange the body bottom plate, the one you take off to adjust the drum's tension.  (with the diagram for the film parkour).  I may be wrong and maybe just changing the bottom plate would be enough.

The body shape of the cameras after the M6 is different and won't fit IXMOO cassettes: nothing to do with the baseplate.

After years I finally got a .58 MP new from Japan. 2005 batch. Never had a chrome camera either. Very beautiful in person, simple and clean. Looking forward to a long friendship. 

• Like 19

0,72 MP 🌞

• Like 12

10 hours ago, BigBabyEarl said:

After years I finally got a .58 MP new from Japan. 2005 batch. Never had a chrome camera either. Very beautiful in person, simple and clean. Looking forward to a long friendship. 

Wow, congratulations. A while ago I went to the Frankfurt shop and held in a similar MP with this leatherette, the salesperson said that early versions of the MP came with this leatherette and the newer versions has the M240/M-P240 leatherette. He further explained that according to him, this version with your leatherette will become a collectors piece, if that will be true I have no idea but just a fun fact :) Enjoy your beautiful MP

Edited by Borna
  • Like 2

On 6/11/2023 at 10:53 AM, Borna said:

...<snip> He further explained that according to him, this version with your leatherette will become a collectors piece, if that will be true I have no idea but just a fun fact :) Enjoy your beautiful MP

...got rid of the 'sharkskin' leatherette from both my early MPs - they simply didn't work for me aesthetically or functionally.

On 1/2/2007 at 4:14 AM, martin said:

got a Luigi halfcase and that's a real great thing

How do folks like the Luigi Cases? Tried out one some 15 years ago. We didn't get on it. Should I give it another look?

7 hours ago, kivis said:

How do folks like the Luigi Cases? Tried out one some 15 years ago. We didn't get on it. Should I give it another look?

I think you should. His website is a nightmare but his service is second to none, a great guy to deal with and the cases are first class.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2023 at 2:53 AM, Borna said:

Wow, congratulations. A while ago I went to the Frankfurt shop and held in a similar MP with this leatherette, the salesperson said that early versions of the MP came with this leatherette and the newer versions has the M240/M-P240 leatherette. He further explained that according to him, this version with your leatherette will become a collectors piece, if that will be true I have no idea but just a fun fact :) Enjoy your beautiful MP

My MP has the sharkskin.  I really didn't like it at the beginning  - it's just not nice to hold really, and IMO it doesn't look nice either.  My view hasn't changed but while initially I was going to replace it w the much nicer newer types, I just can't be bothered as it is 'fine' and I have other Ms too.  Plus that camera stays in a half case.

A collector's item?  I don't think so as Leica made them for many years.  But a good way to close a sale!

I have a bunch of half cases, including Leicatime/Luigi, Zhou, Art and Artisans, Leica and a $50 from ebay.

My favourite, easily, is the $50 ebay one.  It fits better than the Luigi, it is less bulky, it doesn't cover the rewind release, it doesn't have tabs that go over the strap eyelets.  It's just a much sleeker design.  It also has better, tighter stitching.  The fact that it is at least 1/4 of the price of the Luigi is icing on the cake.

Luigi is from the time when the M8 and M9 hit the markets, and basically no-one was making half cases.  It still is from that era.  Anyway - my MP with the $50 case, my M3 w the Luigi.

• Like 2