I love my MP

2 minutes ago, roelandinho said:

you can have it but you’re only allowed to use it with the included 28 Summaron 🤡

I doubt I've removed the lens from the body more than a couple of times this year so it probably wouldn't cause me much bother if Leica glued it on.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, roelandinho said:

Interesting. I recently asked Wetzlar if it was possible to get a black paint M-A but the response was negative. 

Apparently you can buy a chrome M-A and send it back to the factory for conversion to black paint through the 'Redesign' program.  Heaven knows what that costs...

https://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/M-System-Service/Redesign

Why you can't just order one in black paint rather than going through the trouble of taking delivery and then immediately sending the camera back for a 'redesign' is beyond me.

2 hours ago, wattsy said:

I doubt I've removed the lens from the body more than a couple of times this year so it probably wouldn't cause me much bother if Leica glued it on.

The 28 Summaron is a nice lens for sure, but I’d be afraid in the dark if it was literally glued to the camera. 

41 minutes ago, logan2z said:

Do tell.  I've spoken to one of the largest Leica dealers in the US who told me you can't.  

I get different answers from different people. When I call Leica in Germany, some people say you can, others say you can't. But those who still accept the A La Carte program will also accept to do it on a "new purchase". It just takes a few months longer. Except over a year for an A La Carte camera. 

2 hours ago, Steven said:

I get different answers from different people. When I call Leica in Germany, some people say you can, others say you can't. But those who still accept the A La Carte program will also accept to do it on a "new purchase". It just takes a few months longer. Except over a year for an A La Carte camera. 

I don't know any US dealers who still accept the a la carte program.  Are you referring to people at Leica Germany who still do?

2 hours ago, logan2z said:

I don't know any US dealers who still accept the a la carte program.  Are you referring to people at Leica Germany who still do?

I called them 10 times this spring to ask them to convert an M7 to Black Paint via the A La Carte program. The first 9 times, they said A La Carte was a thing of the past. On the tenth try, they gave up and sent me a quote. If you really want it, you can have it... 

• Haha 1

But just to clarify, my earlier comment about getting an A La Carte camera straight out of factory was based on assumptions. Someone posted a link to the US page for A La Carte program. So I assumed that A La Carte was still a thing in the US. And I just wanted to remind that when the A La Carte program was an official offer from Leica, you could do it on a used camera, as well as on a new special order. It just took a long time. 

12 minutes ago, Steven said:

But just to clarify, my earlier comment about getting an A La Carte camera straight out of factory was based on assumptions. Someone posted a link to the US page for A La Carte program. So I assumed that A La Carte was still a thing in the US. And I just wanted to remind that when the A La Carte program was an official offer from Leica, you could do it on a used camera, as well as on a new special order. It just took a long time. 

https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2019/06/leica-discontinuing-m-a-la-carte-program/

Jeff

2 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Right, long discontinued.  That's why I mentioned the new(er) "Redesign" program.  But that doesn't allow for a new camera to be ordered with black paint, just an old camera to be returned to the factory for 'redesign' - which can include conversion to black paint. 

The whole thing seems rather silly to me.  If you can 'redesign' an older camera, why can't you 'design' a new camera?

3 hours ago, Steven said:

I called them 10 times this spring to ask them to convert an M7 to Black Paint via the A La Carte program. The first 9 times, they said A La Carte was a thing of the past. On the tenth try, they gave up and sent me a quote. If you really want it, you can have it... 

Convert an existing M7?  That would seem to be covered by the current 'Redesign' program.  So I don't know why it would take 10 phone calls to make that happen.

Might simply be a numbers game.  The 'redesign' program seems to be facilitated by the repair department, not part of nor an offshoot of the normal production line.  I suspect that with all the new products Leica has introduced in recent years, this is something they keep under the radar and not market broadly.  It could also be that not everyone at Leica is well informed about the 'redesign' options; rather just aware of the a la carte program discontinuation.  Or Steven may not have talked with the same person all 10 times, finally getting lucky on the last call.

Jeff

Ok, so just to summarize: There is no way to order a new black paint M-A from the factory.  And if you talk to enough people at the factory you might find one who is aware of the Redesign program and will accept an older camera in for conversion to black paint. 

I still don't understand why you can convert a camera to black paint but can't order one with black paint in the first place. 

One of life's great mysteries :)

That seems not to be completely true.

Here (Germany) the black paint M-A still available for online order (2-5 days delivery) as well as for pick-up at the Leica Store Wetzlar.

However I have to admit that it is at back order at most of the other stores.