I love my MP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 minutes ago, predicolous said:

picked up my 5613xxx Black Paint Leica MP beginning of march 2021. Produced and shipped in February 2021.

I can both confirm the new box (similiar to the new digital Ms), no film, nice leather strap,
leatherette as mentioned by dsetiono01 and the ISO dial made in a combination of metal and plastic as posted by cornedeweert.nl on his chrome MP.
To me appearance the inner ring and "casing" of the ISO dial is plastic whereas the dial / ring itself seems to be metal.

Can someone please confirm the shutter sounds my MP is making? 
Starting from the 1/30th I hear a sound which my M6 classic (1987) did not make. I uploaded some videos here:

at 1/60th everything sounds as it did with the M6 classic:
https://youtube.com/shorts/CFn4EtCEg6A

at 1/30th the MP adds a little "ssssrsssr" after the shutter:
https://youtube.com/shorts/i3mTbTWhQ9A

and starting at 1/8th I can hear a sound similiar to a selftimer?
https://youtube.com/shorts/4ROnoVPuhbQ

I guess it's alright as the older M2 shutter seems to make similar sounds but would be happy if someone could confirm.
Shutter speeds are accurate (+- 1/3 stop) when checked with the photoblug (which shurely is no real shutter check machine) 

thank you guys!

Sounds are normal. Same as my early MP. Don’t worry. 

Pocket sized today!  Tiny Elmar-M

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Mute-on said:

Sounds are normal. Same as my early MP. Don’t worry. 

13 minutes ago, johntobias said:

same sounds as mine!   all normal...mines an old box new leatherette oct 20 ..now get out and use that baby !!   it is an utter delight !

thank you both for the fast confirmation! just wanted to make sure it's alright 😃
maybe the videos help future users for reference ;)

already shot the first 10 rolls - the experience is really enhanced to my M6 classic which I already upgraded to the MP-Film lever.
for me it's an upgrade very well worth it!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wattsy said:

Not much bigger than that red softie thing you have screwed into the shutter release.

Ive BIG hands and find a shutter release extension really helps with my 'bunch of bananas fingers'  I can easily use my Nikon D5 single handed!

Edited by johntobias
  • Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

21 hours ago, johntobias said:

Ive BIG hands and find a shutter release extension really helps with my 'bunch of bananas fingers'  I can easily use my Nikon D5 single handed!

Arguments will rage forever about soft releases, your hand doesn't look that big that you can't use the camera without one.  I think they are horrible both in looks and function.  I tried one on my MP years ago and hated how it changed the feel of the MP shutter release, it went from smoothly progressive without it to unacceptably rough with the soft release so I threw it away.   

I remember reading on here a long time ago how someone had found that a soft release had damaged their camera through direct impact.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Arguments will rage forever about soft releases, your hand doesn't look that big that you can't use the camera without one.  I think they are horrible both in looks and function.  I tried one on my MP years ago and hated how it changed the feel of the MP shutter release, it went from smoothly progressive without it to unacceptably rough with the soft release so I threw it away.   

I remember reading on here a long time ago how someone had found that a soft release had damaged their camera through direct impact.

Our differences are what makes us unique    , it works for me   I take your point 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my latest MP after an exchange. Hoping this one is the lucky winner of my long term camera :) Not the best photo! 

Edited by gabrielaszalos
Photo format issue
  • Like 17

On 4/8/2021 at 8:25 PM, gabrielaszalos said:

Just got my latest MP after an exchange. Hoping this one is the lucky winner of my long term camera :) Not the best photo! 

Your leatherette seems different, more like leather looks of the m10 monochrome if im not wrong

looks gorgeous 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, johntobias said:

Congratulations , you will love it!   What lens did you go for?

I’m getting the new Voigtlander 28mm Ultron that was just announced, once that comes out! Probably pair it with the Voigtlander 50mm f1.5 at some point.

Originally, I was going to get the M-A, but for my purposes, I really felt like the MP was the better tool. Perhaps one day I’ll have Sunny 16 down, but at that point, I might just buy an M4/M4-P for the meterless camera. Once I had decided on the MP, I was back and forth on whether or not I wanted silver chrome or BP, and ultimately, I just love that timeless look of the Silver Chrome. I’m hoping I don’t have to wait too too long for it, but who knows these days with supply haha.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, logan2z said:

I believe that's an MP Classic Edition, which did not contain a meter. 

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/Leica/Leica-M3/Leica-MP/index4.htm

OOPS, yes, If I'd looked at the photos , thats the classic solms one, Mine is the current one with the door on the front.....my bad ! sorry

3 minutes ago, johntobias said:

OOPS, yes, If I'd looked at the photos , thats the classic solms one, Mine is the current one with the door on the front.....my bad ! sorry

No worries. 

I'd love one of those.  I don't need a built-in meter and the battery compartment is kind of, well, ugly.  Too bad Leica doesn't make a BP M-A.  

• Thanks 1