I love my MP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, mole73 said:

My MP (built in February 2019) and delivered with the sharkskin leatherette was repaired in the Wetzlar factory because of a burned hole in the shutter curtain. Before repair Leica informed me that they had to cover the body shell with the new leatherette. First I was a bit disappointed because I liked the sharkskin. After repair I‘m more than happy with the new covering. It looks and ferls much nicer than before. No more air bubbles... 😉

Curious, how did you get the burned hole? Did you forget to put the lens cap on? (New to Leica, want to avoid if I can)

On 12/17/2020 at 9:41 PM, Explore More said:

Can you please show your camera more? I read that since august 2020 Leica changed the sharkskin cladding for a more traditional leatherette...my silver MP is on order so hoping for that...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

vor 12 Stunden schrieb 28framelines:

Curious, how did you get the burned hole? Did you forget to put the lens cap on? (New to Leica, want to avoid if I can)

I took a photo in the direct sunlight with my summilux wide open. I read about burned holes in the past but was „surprised“ of the speed it would happen... 

4 hours ago, cornedeweert.nl said:

Nice with the 'new' covers.  Looking at the rewind lever, I assume you've rewound a film and not cocked the shutter! :)

The chronolgy of the burned shutter curtain... 

1 - last picture before damage

2 - picture which damaged the curtain

3 - first picture after damage

• Like 1

4 - second picture after damage 

• Like 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb ralf3:

Really? Bright sunlight, summilux wide open and long exposure do not fit very well.

I mean the " long" in the good question. 

What shutterspeed do you need to ruin your shutter cloth?  I have made very much MP-summilux combination photos and never had any problems with sun. 

So yes, please tell me how long this exposure was. It's a good question if was a long exposure. Maybe Mole 73 is the only one who can answer how long an exposure has to be to burn your cloth. 

vor 2 Minuten schrieb Paulus:

I mean the " long" in the good question. 

What shutterspeed do you need to ruin your shutter cloth?  I have made very much MP-summilux combination photos and never had any problems with sun. 

So yes, please tell me how long this exposure was. It's a good question if was a long exposure. Maybe Mole 73 is the only one who can answer how long an exposure has to be to burn your cloth. 

It must have been 1/250 or 1/500 of a second. I was very surprised to see the curtain burn in such short time. Perhaps it has to with both pictures 1 and 2. I took both pictures short one after another with the aperture wide open.

Hello Everybody,

With the cloth shutter curtains of an MP it does not matter what speed the shutter is set at. What matters is how long the camera lens is pointed at the Sun. Whether you are taking a picture, carrying the camera on your shoulder or if you put the camera on a table with the lens pointed at the Sun.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, mole73 said:

It must have been 1/250 or 1/500 of a second. I was very surprised to see the curtain burn in such short time. Perhaps it has to with both pictures 1 and 2. I took both pictures short one after another with the aperture wide open.

Hi, the curtain is burnt irrespective to shutter time. What matter is how long the camera is pointed towards the sun (with the focus ring set to infinity or near infinity).

• Like 1

vor 6 Stunden schrieb ckuwajima:

Hi, the curtain is burnt irrespective to shutter time. What matter is how long the camera is pointed towards the sun (with the focus ring set to infinity or near infinity).

I cannot imagine that the shutter cloth will be burned when I put my MP in the sun while looking through my viewfinder. I would be irreversibly blinded before the shutter cloth would burn.

Of course when you use and point it without looking through the viewfinder, I could imagine a cloth burnt, because the burning will start long before you take a picture holding the camera in the sun. 

In all these years I did not hear much stories of cloth burning while taking a picture. 1/250 or 1/500 with opening 1,4 will IMHO not cause such a burn. 

Also, when the shutter is opened, the cloth is not there, so how could it burn in the opening time? It must have been before/after  the making of the picture, that the cloth burned?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Everybody,

With the cloth shutter curtains of an MP it does not matter what speed the shutter is set at. What matters is how long the camera lens is pointed at the Sun. Whether you are taking a picture, carrying the camera on your shoulder or if you put the camera on a table with the lens pointed at the Sun.

Best Regards,

Michael

Precisely. 

I always carry my Leicas in hand and with the lens facing down or towards my body. If I’m just walking, it’s in a bag. I’ve never been inclined to carry it on a strap around my neck, on a shoulder or across my body. 

An alternative is to always use a lens cap and refit it between shots, like HCB. Not practical for many ... 

To reiterate, taking a photo against the sun will not, of itself, burn a hole in your shutter curtain. Pointing an uncovered lens at the sun for some time, however, may well. 

• Like 1

It may be small enough for you to fill it with a spot of Matt black paint. First decide which blind it is, the one exposed to the light before you wind on or after. With an M camera you can open the back and may be able to see the hole if you shine a bright led torch in the lens mouth while you watch, in a blackened room ( this has been discussed in another thread recently).

i was always told to carry the camera with the lens pointing down from the sky if it was bright and sunny, but you can’t avoid it if you take into the light pictures, just don’t point it at the sun longer than it takes to take the picture.

The shutter speed doesn’t matter, it is the light shining on one or other of the shutter blinds that makes the hole.

Edited by Pyrogallol

I wouldn't expect the sun burning a hole in the shutter while taking shot unless it took a long time to compose and focus the shot.  

Also, if the "cause" shot did damage the shutter and the "cause" shot captures the damage in the upper right hand quadrant of the shot, then the shooter must have had the shutter release side of the camera at the bottom and released the shutter with the right hand.  This might explain why the subsequent shots show the burnt hole on the upper left side of the landscape shots.  

Also, the "cause" shot doesn't appear to have a completely blown highlight, meaning a "cause" shot would reflect the damage, unless the burning happened after releasing the shutter.  

I'd like to know what went on after the "cause" shot and before the "result" shot.