I love my MP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here's my early model MP (third batch from 2002) - bought it a few years back (second hand) with this covering (non sharkskin) - looks similar to the new covering previously shown - must have been redone sometime in its earlier life or was it an a la carte model (was that available back in 2002?)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by romualdo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, romualdo said:

Here's my early model MP (third batch from 2002) - bought it a few years back (second hand) with this covering (non sharkskin) - looks similar to the new covering previously shown - must have been redone sometime in its earlier life or was it an a la carte model (was that available back in 2002?)

Interesting, I have an earlier silver MP from the second batch in 2002 that already has the later ISO dial.

A friend who shoots with a digital M, asked me for a comparison between the MP and the only other M I have, an M10M.

Short answer is one needs film and the other needs a SD card. Oh, and the while the MP doesn't need a ThumbsUp, the ISO dial does not go as high.

They asked if I had any comparison of output of the MP with B&W film versus the M10M. I explained not yet, but I would not be reporting the results for awhile since I will have to develop the film and I want to compare 16x24 prints not just computer screen output. But the idea of a film camera is more about the experience and fun.

They asked if they could use the MP to see about the experience,  so I handed it over.  I said, "See if you can load it and take a picture without any other information." 

They were able to open the base plate since it is similar to digital M's but requires more twisting of the "key". It's also at the other end of the base.

They impressed me by looking at the diagram for film loading on the bottom and did load the film correctly. They figured out that they had to wind the camera to "0". That's not required with an SD card.  I hinted for them to watch the rewind knob turn to make sure the film was being actually transported.

They did a sunny 16 rule on the exposure because they didn't find an "On" switch and so didn't assume there was a light meter. But once they looked in the viewfinder, they saw that the light meter was on, since they had moved the shutter speed from B-OFF to 1/500. The lighted red arrows were pretty self explanatory. Focusing was not an issue since they were used to using a digital M rangefinder. If someone was not used to manual focus, that would take some explanation. 

I laughed when they took their first picture and automatically glanced at the camera back to see the picture. Even though they knew it was a film camera, chimping was a muscle memory.  They really liked that the thickness of the MP was thinner than their M9, but that's true of the M10M too. They shot a roll and I wondered if they knew what to do next. Fortunately, they knew they couldn't just pop the film out as one would an SD card. They looked at the R symbol on the what they knew was a film rewind knob, and figured out by messing around that they had to pull the knob up. They did not figure out about the "R" button on the front to release the winding mechanism. I hinted to look for another "R" thing because the winder is still in "drive". They then called it the reverse button rather than rewind. They fortunately did ask for advice on making sure all the film was back in the cartridge before they opened the camera.

They really liked the whole process which deferred gratification of seeing the results. Concentrate to taking the picture not viewing the picture. They took pictures with a more thoughtful approach and had fun. And fun is good.

• Like 12

7 hours ago, maxfairclough said:

I receive my Leica MP tomorrow. Fresh from Germany. Excited to have it. Heard some of the leather issues and backplate issues some have been receiving, fingers crossed I don’t face those issues because you’re paying a very pretty penny for a stunning camera. 

Good luck with your new MP.  Great choice!

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just noticed also that LeicaS2's camera has a serial number starting with 525 - mine starts with 558 (owned for a few months), and has the "old" shark skin style covering. I know that serial numbers don't necessarily run in sequence, but it could be that this was a one-off incident, rather than a deliberate change? Lucky if so!

Okay it’s here! The new leather on the MP from Germany removes the leather bubble issue people have been having on the 2019 productions it seems. 

• Like 16

4 hours ago, maxfairclough said:

Okay it’s here! The new leather on the MP from Germany removes the leather bubble issue people have been having on the 2019 productions it seems. 

It must be hard to get such a beautiful camera during lockdown. You must be keen to get out and use it.

3 hours ago, Joachim_I said:

It must be hard to get such a beautiful camera during lockdown. You must be keen to get out and use it.

I am patient! I think the M10 scratches that itch. Excited to put together a new photo series with this. Just need to burn some rolls and see what I can make of it. Some may be surprised to know I have never shot film before despite making this purchase haha. My work best resonates with Portra 400/800 so starting there. 

Looking forward to this!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, maxfairclough said:

I am patient! I think the M10 scratches that itch. Excited to put together a new photo series with this. Just need to burn some rolls and see what I can make of it. Some may be surprised to know I have never shot film before despite making this purchase haha. My work best resonates with Portra 400/800 so starting there. 

Looking forward to this!

Best of luck. I'm sure that beautiful MP will inspire you. 

Here is my a la cart MP, somehow the white paint in the script "Leica" engraving went away, strange place to display patina (usually is on edges), but I kind of like the brass look of it.

Edited by smkoush
  • Like 9

Ordered last December, manufactured on the 1st of September and delivered to Sydney today.  I am very excited!

• Like 9

On 9/18/2020 at 3:51 AM, smkoush said:

Here is my a la cart MP, somehow the white paint in the script "Leica" engraving went away, strange place to display patina (usually is on edges), but I kind of like the brass look of it.

The white paint in the script on my MP has also turned yellow in places.  Probably an effect of oils and grime from normal handling, it’s the patina of a camera that has traveled and is used regularly.