I love my MP

1 hour ago, logan2z said:

I have an M-A and think that the leather is quite nice.  Is it actually the case that the MP and M-A use different leather?

Leatherettes are not same type on MP/M-A,

the nicest for me is the real vulcanite of M4

M-A

M4

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

MP

Leica M coverings are variable

even my silver M-A has not the same covering as my black chrome M-A

• Like 4

On 8/8/2020 at 11:07 PM, logan2z said:

I had a feeling it looked like some  sort of dirt near the viewfinder window.  Glad it came off!

Thanks! Hmmm, maybe dirt, or I was thinking maybe something rubbed off into the finish. In any case, it is certainly relieving that it could be buffed off with a cloth! 

On 8/9/2020 at 4:28 PM, andrew01 said:

Good news that it was just a surface blemish.  I initially thought it was some problem with the chrome plating, which would be bad news in the long term.

I would get the leather replaced if I was you, I always hated the standard leather on the MP.  Upthread there is an example of a camera converted to a Hermes edition with custom leather.  It looks stunning.  There is a link to the provider of the custom leather and there are plenty of amazing options but no doubt the cost is $$$$$.

It was alarming when I first noticed it. I probably would have felt left in the dark at this point if it were something more permanent, especially since I haven't received any response from the store. It's a nonissue now, but still would have been nice to receive acknowledgement. Wonder if their online form is working? 

Yeah, good suggestion, I probably should just send it in and get it replaced. I've noticed the bulge in the leathering seems to have expanded a little over the weekend. The bubble seems a little larger than I remembered. 

Edited by Charadis
shortened or simplified sentences..

3 hours ago, Charadis said:

I've noticed the bulge in the leathering seems to have expanded a little over the weekend. The bubble seems a little larger than I remembered. 

It certainly doesn't look great from that angle.  If it were me, I'd probably return the camera and get a replacement.  Unless Leica thinks they can easily/quickly fix that bulge and have it back to you without a long delay.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, logan2z said:

It certainly doesn't look great from that angle.  If it were me, I'd probably return the camera and get a replacement.  Unless Leica thinks they can easily/quickly fix that bulge and have it back to you without a long delay.

Honestly didn't think about how long a leatherette change could take, especially in pandemic conditions and how many other cameras in service could currently be in queue. 

I decided to reach out directly to my contact at Customer Care who has been so helpful previously, and she responded very promptly with a kind message and that she will "arrange for an exchange" when she returns from vacation next Monday. Very pleasantly surprised to receive her response so quickly, even after an automated response was sent about her being out on vacay until next week with contact info to another person for urgent matters; this is the kind of business that has kept luring me back to Leica. 

I'm wondering if she is referring to a complete swap of the whole camera and packaging? Or if they would just swap the camera body out like Apple does when they service some products. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Charadis said:

Honestly didn't think about how long a leatherette change could take, especially in pandemic conditions and how many other cameras in service could currently be in queue. 

I decided to reach out directly to my contact at Customer Care who has been so helpful previously, and she responded very promptly with a kind message and that she will "arrange for an exchange" when she returns from vacation next Monday. Very pleasantly surprised to receive her response so quickly, even after an automated response was sent about her being out on vacay until next week with contact info to another person for urgent matters; this is the kind of business that has kept luring me back to Leica. 

I'm wondering if she is referring to a complete swap of the whole camera and packaging? Or if they would just swap the camera body out like Apple does when they service some products. 

That sounds like great customer service, good to hear.  Let us know how things go.  

Hi, I’m in search of a bag and was wondering whether anybody here has either the Billingham Leica M combination bag or the Billingham Hadley Small Pro and can share images and or advice about the bag, how suitable and practicable they are. Open to other suggestions! 
Thanks

14 minutes ago, DG_MP said:

the Billingham Hadley Small Pro

I have the Small Pro. Set up in three compartment. takes a body with upto a 50mm lens attached in middle and one or two lens in adjacent sections. So easily takes body plus four or five lens. Could easily swap to two bodies with lenses plus a couple of lenses .

Superbly made bag, but would recommend optional shoulder pad.

Pic shows body with 50mm Summicron, with 90mm Summicron on right and 35mm Summilux on left with room for another lens. The lens sections have filters stored under lenses.

• Like 1

I'll add to the support for the Hadley Small (pro, same size). If I need something bigger then I'm doing it wrong and carrying too much gear. Two cameras, four lenses plus batteries, filters and a mini-tripod. Alternatively one camera, two lenses, accessories and a bottle of water

Lockdown photography...

It took a while, but I have arrived.  This brand new beauty landed on my doorstep yesterday.  One question.  I saw some information about this elsewhere in the thread, but I'm not clear.  Do the standard battery covers have a tendency to fall off?  I would hate to lose it, but on the other hand, it is more pleasing to me than the slotted extra cover.  

• Like 5