I love my MP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/10/2020 at 10:29 PM, shirubadanieru said:

Yup same leather as the Hermes version : ) It’s night time now so I can’t take a pic but since I had the camera CLAed when I changed the leather I also asked to paint the back door silver. The only thing that is black is the ISO dial, but nothing we can do about that : p 

Could I ask how much did you pay for the re-skin man? Look amazing!

4 hours ago, khoaviet said:

Could I ask how much did you pay for the re-skin man? Look amazing!

thank you! before doing it I was afraid it wouldn't look very good but I am really happy with the result. As for cost, you can check all the different leather prices on arte di mano website. Then you'll need a place in your home country who can do the reskin for you and that cost depends on the shop.

• 2 weeks later...

My day old (to me) MP, with several thumbprints for highlight! 

The serial number dates this camera to 2003 (number 2941 xxxx) and it's in impeccable condition. What I'm curious about is:

Was it typical to release 0.85 viewfinder editions AND vulcanite covering as a regular release in the series? Or could this have been an a la carte order?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

On 6/25/2020 at 3:24 PM, MCF74 said:

The serial number dates this camera to 2003 (number 2941 xxxx) and it's in impeccable condition. What I'm curious about is:

Was it typical to release 0.85 viewfinder editions AND vulcanite covering as a regular release in the series? Or could this have been an a la carte order?

It very well could have been an a la carte from day 1 but the prior owner over 17 years very well could have gotten the finder updated to .85 and while that was being done paid for the vulcanite. Either way, it is now an "a la carte."

They did not manufacture the MP in this configuration in standard production.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MCF74 said:

Ah okay. I get the impression it was likely  original order and I don’t think the previous owner had barely used it over 17 yrs! Lucky me! Thanks. 

My leica MP's serial number is 2921516 but the card shows date 08/01/2009 of 5-years guarantee expiration, mean it was produce in 2004. I dont know why your camera have number 2941xxx is made from 2003

On 6/25/2020 at 8:24 PM, MCF74 said:

I would think there is a very high chance this was an a la carte, since it would be horrendously expensive to make the changes at a later service.  Nice camera!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, andrew01 said:

I would think there is a very high chance this was an a la carte, since it would be horrendously expensive to make the changes at a later service.  Nice camera!

Not so via Sherry Krauter, Don Goldberg, or others. Even repairs/upgrades via Leica haven't been as bad as one would expect.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2020 at 6:03 PM, aesop said:

...the list is merely a guide - it is not gospel.

That is correct

In some cases Leica would announce serial numbers, but reserve certain batches for a special purpose (perhaps a special edition they were planning). The result was a delayed production from the other numbers in the sequence.

• 2 weeks later...

I have rediscovered my MP,  after not having shot film for a while. It will replace my digital Ms. Film is film and the SL2 is so good in reproducing slides and negatives, so that I again enjoy the beauty of film photography :)

MP with Summicron 50, T-Max 400, taken in 2010.

Edited by Arrow
  • Like 8

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Arrow:

I have rediscovered my MP,  after not having shot film for a while. It will replace my digital Ms. Film is film and the SL2 is so good in reproducing slides and negatives, so that I again enjoy the beauty of film photography :)

MP with Summicron 50, T-Max 400, taken in 2010.

Interesting that you use the Sl2 for producing slides. Do you mean actual copying slides and in what way do you work? 

I would not want to miss my M10 and M240 , but it's nice to photograph with the MP in the Hollidays, just minding my own business and waiting for the right moment...

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Paulus said:

Interesting that you use the Sl2 for producing slides. Do you mean actual copying slides and in what way do you work? 

Well, I am not producing slides. I use the Sl2 for digitalising slides and negatives. 

I simply photograph the slides or negatives using a Kaiser FilmCopy vario kit and a copy stand. As a lens, I use the Sigma 70 L macro lens for that purpose. Processing is done in Lightroom using the Negative Lab Pro plug in. The multishot mode of the SL2 produces quite decent results. 47 megapixels are already way enough resolution. 24 of the SL are fine, too. 

Edited by Arrow
  • Like 4

Just ordered a silver MP! Status already changed to "awaiting shipment." I've recently developed a desire to get into film photography, and after scouring through some of the more recent threads here in this forum, this model seemed like a very popular choice. Very excited! 

Cheers, 

Edited by Charadis
Shortened post content, changed wording
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Charadis said:

Just ordered a silver MP! Status already changed to "awaiting shipment." I've recently developed a desire to get into film photography, and after scouring through some of the more recent threads here in this forum, this model seemed like a very popular choice. Very excited! 

Cheers, 

Congratulations, I'm sure you're going to love it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm thinking about buying a new silver MP. Ive seen reports of poor quality M-A bodies and wondering if the MP has the same issues with quality control? As far as Im aware they not only have 2 people making film cameras and so not many are produced meaning if a copy isn't good it can be a while before it gets replaced. Anyone had recent issues in the last few years? Thanks

Hi all, not entirely sure whether this is the right place to post and ask this question but I recently acquired a new MP (it’s beautiful!) but I have a question to ask regarding it’s design. As illustrated online on the Leica website, the ISO dial is that similar to the M6 etc, however as I have seen on this forum and my very own MP, the iso dial only has the ISO numbers running up  and along half the dial... is this dial I have an outdated design or is the dial shown online not updated to this current/new half dial design? Any information anyone can shed and clarify this for me would be appreciated. Thanks!