I love my MP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I actually like the notch even though I have no intention of ever adding a meter that can take advantage of it. It's just a functional nod to the heritage. I like that Leica added it to both the M-A and the MP Classic, recognising the distinctiveness of those cameras' meterlessness. Where Leica went astray – and were sloppy or lazy – is that they included a notch on the shutter speed dial of the metered LHSA MP3 camera.

I believe that was intentional to preserve the look, not sloppy or lazy.

I believe that was intentional to preserve the look, not sloppy or lazy.

Yes, I'm sure you're right but it it is sloppy thinking IMO. Without the functional justification, the notch on the LHSA MP3 is just unnecessary artifice. I like to think that an M camera is the very essence of functional design rather than an ornament. 

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 1

Yes, I'm sure you're right but it it is sloppy thinking IMO. Without the functional justification, the notch on the LHSA MP3 is just unnecessary artifice. I like to think that an M camera is the very essence of functional design rather than an ornament. 

If that were the case, many things would be changed!

There is something to be said for tradition.

1. Stupid rewind crank

2. Annoying film ISO dial

3. Shutter speed dial goes the 'wrong' way - depends what you have used in the past

PS. I love my MP, the way it is.

Well, sloppy or clever. It is certainly functional for those who want to use a clip-on meter. Why would Leica turn their back on sales to those people, especially as they push the heritage aspect so much. But it is also ornamentation for the rest of the buyers and any good product designer will admit that. They will also admit to the value added by such ornamentation, but also to the cost of maintaining separate build flows.

I've never even seen an LHSA MP3 in the flesh but I can't believe they didn't have serious input to Leica on just what that camera would look like. It was their idea after all and they might have stated they would generate the majority of sales of that edition. I can't say; I was not invited to the meetings.

Leica's camera division might be small and straining under the workload, or suffering from communication breakdowns. Mistakes happen although some of those mentioned here are pretty inexcusable. My MP ALC as delivered to Tamarkin had some sort of issue and there was a delay in shipping it to me. It was quickly remedied so I think Leica, NJ handled the fix. I was never told what it was, never asked.

Leica builds digital cameras and they build film cameras. The former keeps the doors open. The latter certainly adds to the cash flow but I prefer to think Leica also sees the film camera as an absolutely necessary aspect of the company's soul. A bulwark against the disposable culture of anything digital where your M240 is seen as being "old" but its price keeps you from upgrading as often as you would your phone. It allows them to feel OK about Marketing's ad copy.

All together what does it mean? Hell, I don't know, I'm just rambling. There's mistakes alright but I would never call it laziness although I can't think like a German even though I'm 1/4. A pissed off employee tired of long hours? Better. So split things up. The digital side can do what they feel they need to do, I'm not invested there. The film side 'drops' to the very fine M7 and the MP/M-A combine and go ALC only, with a price range the market will accept for a bespoke Leica. Lenses are tricky but you shouldn't have to wait months for a released product. Hire. The used market takes care of everyone else, like it already does.

Check the tea leaves and perhaps bring back Passport,

s-a

Well, sloppy or clever. It is certainly functional for those who want to use a clip-on meter. Why would Leica turn their back on sales to those people, especially as they push the heritage aspect so much. But it is also ornamentation for the rest of the buyers and any good product designer will admit that. They will also admit to the value added by such ornamentation, but also to the cost of maintaining separate build flows.

I've never even seen an LHSA MP3 in the flesh but I can't believe they didn't have serious input to Leica on just what that camera would look like. It was their idea after all and they might have stated they would generate the majority of sales of that edition. I can't say; I was not invited to the meetings.

I have an LHSA MP3 and, believe me, it is a great piece of equipment and will take the various Leica clip on meters should I wish to use them. I believe that your points are very well made. There are some contributors to this forum who just like to complain about everything. Perhaps they should get a life or, maybe, a Kodak Instamatic :) .

I presume it is because the door is not brass, so it would not wear the same as the rest of the camera and look wrong.

That's a sensible reason - I hadn't thought of that. I just assumed Leica were being a bit "cheap" (sounds like I'm complaining and only worthy of an Instamatic[emoji3]). That said, Leica did put a black paint door on the MP Classic and some others so I'll stick with my original theory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have an LHSA MP3 and, believe me, it is a great piece of equipment and will take the various Leica clip on meters should I wish to use them. I believe that your points are very well made. There are some contributors to this forum who just like to complain about everything. Perhaps they should get a life or, maybe, a Kodak Instamatic :) .

I really shouldn't have denigrated the humble Instamatic. I once worked for a professional photographer who took a Kodak Instamatic 500 with him when he toured China. The photos he produced were something else. Far better than any of mine taken with a Leica IIIg or Rolleiflex 3.5F.

• Like 2

By the way, I think it's time somebody posted a photo of their MP. Too much chat.

Just to stir up the conversation, how about a picture of someone else's MP (Charlie Kirk), showing the back door is made of brass?  ;)

17310266_10154201563422001_1443513622391

I use my cameras but that doesn't mean they look like this.

The secret is to fill your gadget bag with rusty nails and iron filings, it will soon gain that used "patina" as shown in the pictures. Or maybe I have missed something?

By the way, I think it's time somebody posted a photo of their MP. Too much chat.

Fair enough.

s-a

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

That silver mp seriously looks fakely trashed. This isn't patina.

One half is mint (the film rewind half) while the other half is scratched. No chrome gets destroyed like that without using scissors.

To see how a heavily used silver chrome body really looks like, take a look at Winogrand's Silver M4.

That photographer is probably a very nervous guy. I hate planes and if you put a Leica in my hands during a flight, I might destroy its finish by fiddling with it and a pen in my other hand.

But tadadaaaa! We now have fidget spinners!

• Like 2