I love my MP

• 2 weeks later...

No, as far as I know it's the original covering, Ian, - i bought it used.  It perhaps looks a bit like sandpaper owing to the angle of the light striking it but it always felt like Vulcanite.  Whether it actually came from Vulcan I couldn't say of course.

Pete.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry I was unclear. The new MP, like mine, has a horrible sandpaper-like covering... yours looks very nice :-)

I don't think the covering has been changed during the lifetime of the camera. It has always been the sandpapery finish – people complained about it back in 2002. I think it just looks a little different in Pete's photo because of the light.

Personally, I've always quite liked the covering. It has an austere quality that sets off the black paint of the MP nicely. I've written here before that I think the MP, in its black paint stock configuration, is a real classic. There are individual elements that seem questionable – the chrome collar around the shutter release, the Leica engraving arguably a little lost and, of course, the sandpaper covering – but, taken together, it just seems to work. I prefer the extra simplicity (and less cluttered viewfinder) of the M-A but, otherwise, I'd have never have sold my MP.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 2

It's been ages since I looked through the I Love My MP thread. Too much talking and not enough pictures.
Here's one of mine with a Canon 50/1.2. It's taken with a Polaroid. £18 gets you 8 photos but that's not an invitation to revisit the digital is more expensive than film discussion  :D

Pete

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here's my other one

Pete

• Like 7

Oh, that was the same one. Here's my other one
Pete

Edited by Stealth3kpl
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A self portrait with my recently aquired MP. Thank you guys for feeding my lust for this camera. Taken two rolls wich i didnt develop yet.

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

Lucky to have acquired this beautiful a la carte MP earlier this year. A joy to use and own. Shown here with 35mm Cron. 

• Like 6

21 hours ago, HighlandLeica said:

Lucky to have acquired this beautiful a la carte MP earlier this year. A joy to use and own. Shown here with 35mm Cron. 

Good looking camera.  What a la carte features does it have?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RayD28 said:

Good looking camera.  What a la carte features does it have?

Thank you. It was purchased second-hand, but I believe the leather trim is as per M7, the viewfinder has the three-focal length configuration (35,50 and 90mm) and the engravings are as per the M-P (240) with the script on the top-plate etc. 

• Like 1

My favourite one camera and two lenses for travel option!

• Like 7

22 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

My favourite one camera and two lenses for travel option!

Love the image - elegant arrangement. And yes, the perfect kit for on the move. 

• Like 1

Since joining the MP club earlier this year, I have become increasingly interested in the small changes introduced to the camera during it's production run. 

The changed iso dial and sealed finder are frequently mentioned. When I bought mine I also realised that the back engraving has evolved. Where earlier cameras (roughly pre-2014) said »Leica Camera  Made in Germany«, since the move back to Wetzlar the back of the camera says »Leica Camera Wetzlar  Made in Germany«. No I am trying to figure out around which serial number the change occurred. I have so far found images of a camera with the serial number 4 697 727 that still has the old engraving and know that the change occured before number 4 698 000. Does anybody know more about this? Or has a camera in that range and can help narrow down the range further? Or am I the only one interested. 

Furthermore are there other small changes I might not be aware of? I am already looking forward to the ways and words collectors will differentiate these by in fifty years or so.