Is it permitted to suggest non-Leica lenses?

pico

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is it permitted to suggest non-Leica lenses?

Although through my 40+ years with 35mm photography I have used Leica brand lenses. The last decade has introduced competition with a few lenses that Leica does not make.

I will mention only one for now: the Voigtlander 10mm. I have two versions of their 15mm and the latest 10mm. The 10mm's performance is a quantum leap better than the 15mm. I would have considered a shorter focal length than 15mm as simply unbelievable if i I had not used the 10mm. Its performance is simply astounding.

Edited by pico
  • Like 4

Pico, I feel the same way about their 12mm. A wonderful little thing.

It is! The jump from 12mm to 10mm is not linear. Something very important happened. I am not smart enough to know what the engineers have done. The new lens design experts must exist in a ratified culture.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

Pico and Peter H,

I agree. Those lense are wonderful. I have recently added one. A 15mm 3rd Version M. A quick verdict is--Just wonderful.

I also feel that Leica could also design and make it,however their calculation for market demand may be that very tiny minority of Leica users would actually buy it and for a small production number,the retail price could be similar to most costly lines of their lenses.

Bytheway, any advice on the first version (M39) of 12mm? With Leica sa well as Sony?

Thanks.

The forum is full of posts regarding third party lenses, including ones where Leica has a counterpart.  As these lenses are considered in conjunction with using Leica bodies, I see no difference between these discussions and the equally frequent posts about using Leica lenses on non-Leica bodies (Sony and such), or even discussions regarding non-Leica accessories/bags, etc.  It's all part of using Leica gear...camera or lenses... to best effect. 

Jeff

• Like 2