Nikon Noct on the SL???

Donzo98

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I own the Minolta 58 1.2 and use it on my Sony A7II. It´s an inexpensive alternative to the very expensive Nikon Noct. I read somewhere that they are nearly similar.

I own an early version. It renders beautiful warm and soft wide open and gets more contrast and sharpness stopped down.

It is one of my favorite lenses on the Sony. 

Best,

Peter__

Not sure that's the case; does the Minolta have a hand-ground aspherical surface?

I've shot the NOCT on a Nikon DSLR in the past. Unlike a Noctilux, it's really a super-specialized lens, narrow performance envelope lens; peaks by ƒ/4, curvature of field can be extreme and tricky close-up, unless understood. Controls coma nicely, along with SA and haze wide-open. State of the art, mid-1970's. Delicate colors, great character. I liked it a lot.

Edited by james.liam
  • Like 2

You seem to know much more about the lenses than I do.

Buying a (very pricy) Nikon Noct over the Rokkor 58 1.2 might be more of a collectors thing. On modern cameras both look like old lenses compared to an up-to-date Leica lens.

I like the rendering of the Rokkor very much and as I wrote above it´s surprisingly sharp stopped down but will never come close to a modern lens in sharpness. People use those lenses to achieve this special kind of look that only old lenses can produce and I can´t imagine that the Nikon Noct and the Rokkor 58 1.2 look very different wide open.

But in fact you are right, the lenses are different - but not that much;-)

Best,

Peter

• Like 1

You seem to know much more about the lenses than I do.

Buying a (very pricy) Nikon Noct over the Rokkor 58 1.2 might be more of a collectors thing. On modern cameras both look like old lenses compared to an up-to-date Leica lens.

I like the rendering of the Rokkor very much and as I wrote above it´s surprisingly sharp stopped down but will never come close to a modern lens in sharpness. People use those lenses to achieve this special kind of look that only old lenses can produce and I can´t imagine that the Nikon Noct and the Rokkor 58 1.2 look very different wide open.

But in fact you are right, the lenses are different - but not that much;-)

Best,

Peter

Completely agree about the NOCT.

Like the Noctilux ƒ/1.2, if by dumb chance you already have one in your possession, it's a fun thing to work with. Otherwise, all are significant waypoints in the development of imaging tech and priced accordingly.

I think at least two SL users I've heard of have the "Nikon Nocti" (the Nikkor 58mm f/1.2, if I recall correctly) but on another forum. 

I have the Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AI-S ... a somewhat more recent lens and another excellent performer. I don't have any SL photos to share from it at present, however. I'll see if I can find a couple to post. 

A lot of folks are using the Leica Noctilux with the SL and seem very happy with it for its excellent focusing capabilities on this body. 

I love using the Noctilux on the SL. The EFV really optimizes the lenses capabilities, and the lens has much better balance on the SL as opposed to the M. I also shoot the Nikon 1.4/85mm AI-S (1984) on the SL (w/ a Nikon converter stacked on my M converter--not as bad as it sounds). It has great results and also feels tremendous on the SL. If I recall Ken Rockwell really liked this lens--refers to it as one of Nikon's best as I recall. Cheers--lt

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a Noct 58/1.2 for several years and have previously used it on 240 with EVF. I recently received the Nik to L adapter and tried it on my SL last week. No vignetting issues (this was the less costly manual Novoflex LET/NIK adapter. Below are two pics from Sloss Furnace (Birmingham, AL) historical park. Obviously, I did not remove the "interesting" CA on the backlit photo. Both at f/1.2 and 100ISO (or should I say ASA being an older lens.. ;) )

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1