Nikon Noct on the SL???

Donzo98

I think at least two SL users I've heard of have the "Nikon Nocti" (the Nikkor 58mm f/1.2, if I recall correctly) but on another forum. 

I have the Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AI-S ... a somewhat more recent lens and another excellent performer. I don't have any SL photos to share from it at present, however. I'll see if I can find a couple to post. 

A lot of folks are using the Leica Noctilux with the SL and seem very happy with it for its excellent focusing capabilities on this body. 

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1

I have the Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AI-S ... a somewhat more recent lens and another excellent performer. I don't have any SL photos to share from it at present, however. I'll see if I can find a couple to post. 

Pls. do that sir. I would very like to see how that lens perform on SL

Pls. do that sir. I would very like to see how that lens perform on SL

I'll have to scrounge up my Nikon to M adapter and go out to make a few exposures with it. I went through my LR catalog and found that I haven't yet use it on the SL ... Most of my 50mm exposures are either with the Summilux-R 50mm or the SL24-90mm. 

Will try to do a few today and post something later on.  :)

• Like 1

I just fitted the Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AI-D onto my RayQual Nikon F to Leica M adapter, and mounted that on the M Adapter L and SL. Hard vignetting in the corners appears throughout the aperture range, harder and better defined as the aperture is closed down of course. I suspected it might. 

This is one of those cases where the 34mm mount M-mount diameter gets in the way; you need a dedicated Nikon F to L mount adapter to eliminate this vignetting. (The lens doesn't vignette on Nikon F mount {47mm diameter} at all.) 

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Do you mean the old 50/0.95 RF lens? I've only seen one once or twice, the owners told me it wasn't all that great a performer. But some like its unique rendering qualities.

Adapting them to Leica M is a little problematic. See http://photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/0095J6

• Like 1

I was looking into the Cannon "Dream Lens" 50/.095. Any thoughts on what would be needed to adapt this lens?

An unobtanium adapter unless you find one modified to M mount. That particular lens used a one-of-a-kind external bay mount for the Canon 7 models.

I have had five of them, two in original mount used on Canon 7, three modified for M mount. Of the three modified only one was a success and I kept it. (BTW, an M mod is tricky to dismount because the lens base covers the lens release lock.

Good luck, Sir.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

HI Pico,

Can you point in the right direction for this "unobtanium adapter"?    Would that be better option than an M mount mod if I don't know who did the mod;  33% is not a good %.  

An unobtanium adapter unless you find one modified to M mount. That particular lens used a one-of-a-kind external bay mount for the Canon 7 models.

I have had five of them, two in original mount used on Canon 7, three modified for M mount. Of the three modified only one was a success and I kept it. (BTW, an M mod is tricky to dismount because the lens base covers the lens release lock.

Good luck, Sir.

I own the Minolta 58 1.2 and use it on my Sony A7II. It´s an inexpensive alternative to the very expensive Nikon Noct. I read somewhere that they are nearly similar.

I own an early version. It renders beautiful warm and soft wide open and gets more contrast and sharpness stopped down.

It is one of my favorite lenses on the Sony. I never tried it on the SL because I don´t own the adapter for the SL but don´t expect that it renders very different like on the Sony.

I highly recommend this lens if somebody wants a lens with character!

Best,

Peter__

I just fitted the Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AI-D onto my RayQual Nikon F to Leica M adapter, and mounted that on the M Adapter L and SL. Hard vignetting in the corners appears throughout the aperture range, harder and better defined as the aperture is closed down of course. I suspected it might. 

This is one of those cases where the 34mm mount M-mount diameter gets in the way; you need a dedicated Nikon F to L mount adapter to eliminate this vignetting. (The lens doesn't vignette on Nikon F mount {47mm diameter} at all.) 

I am using Novoflex Nikon F Lens to Leica SL/T Camera Body Lens LET/NIK to fit Nikon lenses to my SL. Have not observed any extensive vignetting.

Would really like to see how 50/1.2 AiS performs on my SL - I really like it. At f2 razor sharp ( possibly sharpest 50mm Nikkor? ) and kind of special @ 1.2

• Like 1

Yes, the Novoflex LET/NIK would do the job correctly: it has an inside diameter at the mount of just under 50mm. The vignetting problem when adapting through the M Adapter L happens only with ultra-fast or ultra-long lenses, and when doing extreme close-up extension (Summicron-R 50 on the Focusing Bellows R at near 3:1 magnification type situations). It's the small M mount diameter, about 34mm—designed for a different type of camera—that presents the limit when using lenses designed for SLRs. 

I guess I'll have to order the LET/NIK if I'm going to hold onto a couple of my fast Nikkors and favorite old Micro-Nikkors... 

• Like 2

It works nicely with the SL. I remembered that there have been examples with this lens.

I like this photo, even if only aperture 5.6 . Maybe jcraf can add more images ? Several months since this post.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/260766-novoflex-letnik-or-lemnik-m-adapter-t/?do=findComment&comment=3049828

Edited by steppenw0lf

Hi all,

I have just started  using the 58 Nocti Nikkor 1.2 and the Canon 0.95 TV M converted on the SL with a Rayqual Nikon F or a Novoflex Nikon F adapter combined with a 18771 Leica adapter or even with a Hawks M to SL w/ helicoid adapter, no problem .

Been using the 50 Summilux R v2 e55 also and other fast 50mm lenses in M mount similarly with good results.

The Hawks M to SL adapter allows  to enter manually any M or R lens code from both lists, The helicoid also is a nice device.

With the Leica 18771 adapter on, the SL menu only offers to code in R lenses, the M lenses list is not showing up.

I wish both lists could always be chosen freely. Please chime in if I missed anything in the SL menu.

Sharing 2 photos here :

The tight shot was taken at the minimum distance allowed by the Hawks w/ helicoid adapter, with the 50 Canon 0.95 mm lens set at 1m wide open .

The wider shot taken with the helicoid un-engaged , the lens code was turned off in the menu.

30978783303_b9758b24b2_b.jpg

Hawks Helicoid adapter test at max by JM__, on Flickr

30978783353_667c773cab_b.jpg

Hawks Helicoid adapter test / un-engaged by JM__, on Flickr

You'll notice the barrel distortion on the wide shot, not the Canon TV lens' forte.

add-on:

just tried the Nocti Nikkor on the SL (uncoded) , the fall off is there wide open  and is gone by f4. It can be cleaned up in Lightroom on ACR.

will soon post shots with the Nikkor .

My 2 cents, JM

Edited by JMF

Some 58 1.2 Nocti Nikkor shots to complete the above post...

wide open + Lens Profiles OFF

at about 1m

31642178622_68af0065df_b.jpg

Nocti Nikkor 1m by JM__, on Flickr

at 0.5m

31642178582_aa15a80082_b.jpg

Nocti Nikkor 0.5m by JM__, on Flickr

at min distance with the Hawks helicoid + 0.5m on the lens

31642178522_484e47ab1c_b.jpg

Nocti Nikkor 0.5m + helicoid by JM__, on Flickr

Cheers, JM.

Edited by JMF

I was wonder about that...

It takes a little fiddling but nothing fancy to remove the Canon 50mm 0.95 from a M body.

I'm using a biro front cap to reach and disengage the M mount lock release.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by JMF

Thanks for this...I've seen a few Canon 0.95 TV  converted to M by "DAG"   Is this person reputable to perform the conversion?  Once converted can I simply mount on my Leica M to SL adapter?   What would be a simple check to see if the conversion is good?  Thanks JMF.

Hi all,

I have just started  using the 58 Nocti Nikkor 1.2 and the Canon 0.95 TV M converted on the SL with a Rayqual Nikon F or a Novoflex Nikon F adapter combined with a 18771 Leica adapter or even with a Hawks M to SL w/ helicoid adapter, no problem .

Been using the 50 Summilux R v2 e55 also and other fast 50mm lenses in M mount similarly with good results.

The Hawks M to SL adapter allows  to enter manually any M or R lens code from both lists, The helicoid also is a nice device.

With the Leica 18771 adapter on, the SL menu only offers to code in R lenses, the M lenses list is not showing up.

I wish both lists could always be chosen freely. Please chime in if I missed anything in the SL menu.

Sharing 2 photos here :

The tight shot was taken at the minimum distance allowed by the Hawks w/ helicoid adapter, with the 50 Canon 0.95 mm lens set at 1m wide open .

The wider shot taken with the helicoid un-engaged , the lens code was turned off in the menu.

30978783303_b9758b24b2_b.jpg

Hawks Helicoid adapter test at max by JM__, on Flickr

30978783353_667c773cab_b.jpg

Hawks Helicoid adapter test / un-engaged by JM__, on Flickr

You'll notice the barrel distortion on the wide shot, not the Canon TV lens' forte.

add-on:

just tried the Nocti Nikkor on the SL (uncoded) , the fall off is there wide open  and is gone by f4. It can be cleaned up in Lightroom on ACR.

will soon post shots with the Nikkor .

My 2 cents, JM

Thanks for this...I've seen a few Canon 0.95 TV  converted to M by "DAG"   Is this person reputable to perform the conversion?  Once converted can I simply mount on my Leica M to SL adapter?   What would be a simple check to see if the conversion is good?  Thanks JMF.

Yes Don Goldberg (DAG) should do the conversion for you in the US. http://www.dagcamera.com/contact.html

I bought my 50 "dream lens" already M converted (the conversion was done in France)  a few years ago before it became a sought after lens. It should be perfectly RF calibrated on any  digital M body and is 6 bits coded as a Noctilux 1.0.

yes, once converted to M mount it will fit the M to SL adapter like any M lens.

Best, JM.

50 Canon TV lens 0.95 on M240

22513909477_9849481f27_b.jpg

Reflecting... by JM__, on Flickr

mounted on a M9:

12163567833_98c8cd4ddf_b.jpg

A7R + Summicron M 50 DR + Hawk v3.0 adapter by JM__, on Flickr

Thanks JM...this is most helpful.

Yes Don Goldberg (DAG) should do the conversion for you in the US. http://www.dagcamera.com/contact.html

I bought my 50 "dream lens" already M converted (the conversion was done in France)  a few years ago before it became a sought after lens. It should be perfectly RF calibrated on any  digital M body and is 6 bits coded as a Noctilux 1.0.

yes, once converted to M mount it will fit the M to SL adapter like any M lens.

Best, JM.

50 Canon TV lens 0.95 on M240

22513909477_9849481f27_b.jpg

Reflecting... by JM__, on Flickr

mounted on a M9:

12163567833_98c8cd4ddf_b.jpg

A7R + Summicron M 50 DR + Hawk v3.0 adapter by JM__, on Flickr