New guy needs advice on Leica purchase

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you for the detailed response, sir!  Mmx_2 & others have given me, essentially, the same advice.  My tendency is, usually, to jump in with both feet after gathering as much information as possible.  With the "cover charges" on Leica cameras and lenses, I need to be judicious and hyper-educated about my selection.  You and the other experienced Leica users are certainly helping me make more informed decisions.  My wallet offers its most humble thanks!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I drove down to Raleigh, NC two days after Christmas to visit the Southeastern Camera.  I had to smile when I walked in as it looked a camera store from the 1970s.  It must be the last real camera store in our state!  They'd just opened for business so there were employees checking in new shipments and, generally, just getting ready for the day.  Tony asked if he could direct me and I replied, "Yes, sir, I'd like to see a Leica MP."  A few heads turned and, within seconds, I had a new one in my hands and they were producing all kinds of lenses, new and used.  What a great staff!  They were helpful and quite professional.  After about an hour-and-a-half of putting up with my questions I told them I would do business with them but I wanted to wait to see if the new M 10 was fact or fiction.  They said they'd heard nothing about it.  Anyway, I'm going back in about three weeks to make my purchase.  I think I've settled on the following:

MP in Silver

50mm Summilux

28mm Summicron 28MM F/2 ASPH

or

Zeiss Wide Angle 28mm f/2.8 Biogon T

Leica hand grip

SF 26 Flash

The 90mm APO Summicron will have to wait until my wife can get another part-time job.

Thoughts?

Mike

I presume you're buying an M-P (digital....Typ 240), not an MP (film) as you cited in post #24.  Funny names, this Leica stuff.

I love using the traditional RF with my M240 for any lenses in the 28-90 range.  I bought an EVF, but it sits in a drawer since the RF is superb for my lens range.  Some like the EVF for various reasons.... lens focal lengths that don't have frame lines, for tricky focusing lenses like a Noctilux, for folks with aging eyes, etc. But the EVF-2 (Leica or Olympus branded) that fits the M is an older generation and not anywhere close the SL EVF experience. You wlll appreciate the built-in live view, however, even if for no other reason than to occasionally check your camera/lens focus calibration.

Jeff

• Like 2

Dang, Jeff, thanks for point out the difference a hyphen makes!  Yes, sir, I'm getting a digital M-P.  You mentioned aging eyes . . . . I've got 'em.  The EVF 2 seems like it would be a nice addition.  I'm under the impression it has the ability of tilting 90° and that could be a good feature for me as my knees have aged, too.  I'll have a look at it when I go back to the store.  At the very least, Iknow I'll need the proper diopter for the camera's viewfinder.

Thanks, again,

Mike

Yes, it tilts.  You might try using the camera in strictly RF mode, then decide later if you want to buy the EVF.  Same with lenses....start with one, or two, and really get to know your gear before you decide if you might need more, and if so, specifically what's lacking. 

For me, the RF is the essence of M shooting.  It would be a shame not to explore its benefits.  Just make sure your eyes are assessed for proper viewing (to see the focus patch at a virtual distance of 2m, to correct for astigmatism, etc)  BEFORE you add accessories (magnifiers will magnify problems) so you can make a fair decision.  

Eye issues are individualized, as are viewing preferences.  I prefer using eyeglasses (sunglasses in daylight to aid sensitive eyes) to correct for distance and astigmatism (contacts don't work for me).  This allows me to see both the focus patch and distant subjects without having to take glasses on and off, and avoids having to use diopters, magnifiers or other aids.  I take my camera to my optician when I buy frames, and explain to my ophthalmologist my camera viewing needs.  

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

Logical advice.  I think I'll go with the camera's rangefinder to begin with and see how that works.  It certainly worked a bunch of years ago with an M2R.  The Leica dealership has diopters in stock so I'll see which is best for me.  Taking the camera to the ophthalmology is a great idea.

Thank you, Jeff!

Many opticians will have diopters of various strengths to test, if you decide to go in that direction.  The key is the 2m virtual focus patch distance.

Some folks like using progressive lenses with their glasses.....I don't get along with them.

In any case, enjoy your shooting.  (Hope you make prints, too!).

Jeff

• Like 1

Life is much simpler if you can avoid swapping spectacles to take and assess your photographs. The other advantage is reducing the number of upgrades when your eyesight changes, as it often does in later years.

The EVF comes into its own if and when using telephoto lenses. At least that is my experience. You can certainly progress without one; just be aware of the advantages when the need arises.

• Like 1

An often unappreciated part is the stock Leica strap that comes with the camera. Use it for a while before thinking of another. It works perfectly well and has the best gripping shoulder pad I've ever had. Even with aftermarket straps, I use the stock Leica pad.

Very best of luck. I know you will enjoy the M-P.

Edited by pico
  • Like 2

Thank you, gentlemen, for the good advice.  As you can imagine, I'm getting pretty excited about the upcoming acquisition.  I'm taking a motorcycle trip in February from North Carolina to California and I look forward to using the new Leica in three national parks.  It's going to be fun!

Mike

• Like 2

I miss my motorcycle adventures, but now offset by other urban pleasures.  Be sure to keep the camera well secured/padded on your bike to avoid RF issues.

Jeff

Jeff, I keep my camera in the left bag on my BMW.  I put a fleece lined helmet bag folded double on top my clothing and then, the camera goes in an individual fleece bag.  I pad out the area around the camera with clothing.  I've traveled thousand of miles with SLR's (Nikons) and have never had a issue.  Is the Leica more susceptible to vibration? 

Mike

• Like 1

Jeff, I keep my camera in the left bag on my BMW.  I put a fleece lined helmet bag folded double on top my clothing and then, the camera goes in an individual fleece bag.  I pad out the area around the camera with clothing.  I've traveled thousand of miles with SLR's (Nikons) and have never had a issue.  Is the Leica more susceptible to vibration? 

The M240 derivatives are the most robust digital Ms to date.  But in the digital age, it's imperative that the RF is properly calibrated (and the lenses) given the small tolerances associated with the thin sensor compared to film.  And the RF in M cameras can be both its source of strength and frustration since it's been known to go out of whack with heavy bumps and such.  My M240 hasn't needed any calibration in 2 years, but I also haven't used it with my bike.  

I wouldn't sweat it, and you seem to be taking all the necessary precautions.  As I mentioned, live view can come in handy to do quick checks against the RF (as LV shows what the sensor actually sees).  It helps to have a small travel tripod handy.  This might be a reason to consider the EVF as a secondary viewing system if any RF issues occur.

Jeff

• Like 1

The M240 derivatives are the most robust digital Ms to date.  But in the digital age, it's imperative that the RF is properly calibrated (and the lenses) given the small tolerances associated with the thin sensor compared to film.  And the RF in M cameras can be both its source of strength and frustration since it's been known to go out of whack with heavy bumps and such.  My M240 hasn't needed any calibration in 2 years, but I also haven't used it with my bike.  

I wouldn't sweat it, and you seem to be taking all the necessary precautions.  As I mentioned, live view can come in handy to do quick checks against the RF (as LV shows what the sensor actually sees).  It helps to have a small travel tripod handy.  This might be a reason to consider the EVF as a secondary viewing system if any RF issues occur.

Jeff

Gotcha!  I'll add the EVF2 back to my purchase list.  Thanks, again, Jeff!