T with 18-56 vs X Vario

ropo54

I like the X Vario's rendering more myself. The XV's zoom is very special. Micro-contrast, shadow transitions, and colors are superior to my eye. The XV zoom renders more like the TL-35 Summilux - beautiful renderings.

Don't get me wrong. The T's zoom is super. It's distortion free and sharp, but colors are more muted and microcontrast is not as rich.

I miss the macro mode and manual focus on the XV.

Of course the XV focuses slower, and the lens aperture is slower. The XV is nonetheless a special camera because of that lens.

I had considered keeping the XV and not buying the zoom. I have no regrets. The T's firmware upgrade made the T's zoom into a superior and more flexible instrument.

Edited by Guest

My thoughts are a tad different. 

I think the T 18-56 does focus much faster, particularly with the new software update for the T.

And, I agree that the T 18-56 is very sharp.

But, I'm thinking that the T lens has more pop/ more contrasty; that the XV seems to be more muted, but not necessarily in a negative way at all. Not sure that this is the right way to describe it but I'm thinking that the XV has a more "classical" look.  

I'm not sure since I've used both in differing environments so I was wondering what others' experiences might be. I am intending on keeping the XV along with the T 18-56.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Rob

Edited by ropo54

The X-Vario wins hands down for me, and although I did have both lens options I greatly prefer to use my X-Vario for this zoom range and so I sold the T's 18-56 and only it now with the wide and tele zooms and hence I normally carry both the T and X-Vario cameras together. :)

• Like 3

The X-Vario wins hands down for me, and although I did have both lens options I greatly prefer to use my X-Vario for this zoom range and so I sold the T's 18-56 and only it now with the wide and tele zooms and hence I normally carry both the T and X-Vario cameras together. :)

Don, that has been my thinking also.  I will never get rid of the X Vario . it is just too special.  That leads me to think I will probably sell my 18-56, my photography budget cannot really afford to keep both. I will say that the 18-56 has its moments which are as good as the XV lens, but there is a slightly different rendering for sure.  In addition, as mentioned above, 'The T's firmware upgrade made the T's zoom into a superior and more flexible instrument'..

Edited by RickP
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I also had both and I would say in favor of the T:

-Just one camera with various options of primes and zooms

-better viewfinder

-faster AF

-longer focal length

-slightly sharper images and more background blur at the long end

In favour of the X-Vario:

-I slightly prefer the color of the images

-"analog" user interface

-slightly smaller size

I think if I wanted to only use this zoom range I might prefer the X-Vario, but I do prefer the T since I use the 35/1.4 a lot and also like the 55-135.

carrying both?...I am not sure I would want to switch between different user interfaces all the time.

Edited by tom0511
  • Like 1

I like the X Vario's rendering more myself. The XV's zoom is very special. Micro-contrast, shadow transitions, and colors are superior to my eye. The XV zoom renders more like the TL-35 Summilux - beautiful renderings.

Don't get me wrong. The T's zoom is super. It's distortion free and sharp, but colors are more muted and microcontrast is not as rich.

I miss the macro mode and manual focus on the XV.

Of course the XV focuses slower, and the lens aperture is slower. The XV is nonetheless a special camera because of that lens.

I had considered keeping the XV and not buying the zoom. I have no regrets. The T's firmware upgrade made the T's zoom into a superior and more flexible instrument.

There are limited variables in the menu to correct or change the color intensity. I punch mine up slightly on my T. Remember, though, that only jpeg's are capable of customizing OOC color. RAW is still RAW and needs post processing to punch up the images in any camera make and model and not just the Leica T or TL.

Leica management seems to favor Adobe LR and PS post processing according to other posts.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...