Jump to content
Docderm

Why are brand new Leica lenses so much cheaper in Hong Kong?

Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, howiebrou said:

Be aware that just because a shop on price.com.hk has a price for an item it doesn’t mean it has it in stock. Many shops will have a price for a silver Noctilux, for example, but 99% won’t be able to get it, unless you wait and the time can be unknown. Also as i mentioned earlier, if an item is in high demand, then the price sky rockets. There is no such thing as MSRP in Hong Kong. Even the official Leica shops jack the prices up when items are in demand. Unfortunate but that’s the way things work. So yes, you must check each item and preferably call them to see if they actually can get it. Otherwise you could have a wasted and very expensive trip.

Like always, shop smart. You can get very good deal from Hong Kong, but you dont have to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, howiebrou said:

Be aware that just because a shop on price.com.hk has a price for an item it doesn’t mean it has it in stock. Many shops will have a price for a silver Noctilux, for example, but 99% won’t be able to get it, unless you wait and the time can be unknown. Also as i mentioned earlier, if an item is in high demand, then the price sky rockets. There is no such thing as MSRP in Hong Kong. Even the official Leica shops jack the prices up when items are in demand. Unfortunate but that’s the way things work. So yes, you must check each item and preferably call them to see if they actually can get it. Otherwise you could have a wasted and very expensive trip.

I have no intention travelling from Australia to HK just to buy a lens, if I am lucky to get it, from an unknown seller. I much prefer to buy it directly from the Leica Store in Sydney, from the guys I know, and they know me, and we strongly support each other. Even if saved a few hundred dollars by buying in HK, it has no value to me -- much more important is the local support I give to the local business, and the support I receive too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

please share the store name and the price.

I did say it in my post: Leica Store Sydney. There is only one. Just google it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, meerec said:

I have no intention travelling from Australia to HK just to buy a lens, if I am lucky to get it, from an unknown seller. I much prefer to buy it directly from the Leica Store in Sydney, from the guys I know, and they know me, and we strongly support each other. Even if saved a few hundred dollars by buying in HK, it has no value to me -- much more important is the local support I give to the local business, and the support I receive too.

I quite agree. Support for local dealers is important. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

How much did you pay?

 

🙂 @Einst_Stein If you actually read my post, there is everything there you are asking about. I never and nowhere said I bought the SVE 16-35. I said "I can buy at price they sell" and if you go to the Leica Store Sydney website you can find out all RRP retail prices in clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, meerec said:

I have no intention travelling from Australia to HK just to buy a lens, if I am lucky to get it, from an unknown seller. I much prefer to buy it directly from the Leica Store in Sydney, from the guys I know, and they know me, and we strongly support each other. Even if saved a few hundred dollars by buying in HK, it has no value to me -- much more important is the local support I give to the local business, and the support I receive too.

I keep a good relationship with Leica Store folks in Singapore. While useful in securing new Leica cameras and lenses fast and they call me up for events, there is nothing much those folks can offer me. Taking a family holiday and buying a lens cheaper by usd$3000 I surely will not pass. I do not have a money growing tree planted in my backyard. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, sillbeers15 said:

I keep a good relationship with Leica Store folks in Singapore. While useful in securing new Leica cameras and lenses fast and they call me up for events, there is nothing much those folks can offer me. Taking a family holiday and buying a lens cheaper by usd$3000 I surely will not pass. I do not have a money growing tree planted in my backyard. :)

I feel like I've made my point already twice but may be not. I don't have a money tree growing in my backyard either, and when I see that the SVE 16-35 costs cheaper in Sydney than in HK why would I be pushing ahead with this idea of buying in HK? USD3,000 difference? On what lens would that be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, meerec said:

I feel like I've made my point already twice but may be not. I don't have a money tree growing in my backyard either, and when I see that the SVE 16-35 costs cheaper in Sydney than in HK why would I be pushing ahead with this idea of buying in HK? USD3,000 difference? On what lens would that be?

Come on old chap, relax. Not everyone reads the whole thread or even most of the posts and many on this forum do not consider English as their first language. Social media, being what it is, many do ask questions that have already been answered in the thread and were simply unaware the answer was present or even missed it completely. We are all on here to help others and to get help from others. I, for one, am completely aware that you have not actually purchased the lens.

Like all deals, there are good ones, there are not so good ones. The amazing deals on the Fuji GFX50R in the US have got me intrigued and I have not even checked my local prices to see if they might be even better or not. 

Just for reference, you asked about a 3k savings on a lens. It might exist, but for comparison, the price of a SL + 24-90mm bundle in the Leica Store Sydney compared to the price in Hong Kong is a difference of US$3,144. That's not a little. I am of course, not sure if Leica Sydney discounts on the MSRPs shown.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, meerec said:

I feel like I've made my point already twice but may be not. I don't have a money tree growing in my backyard either, and when I see that the SVE 16-35 costs cheaper in Sydney than in HK why would I be pushing ahead with this idea of buying in HK? USD3,000 difference? On what lens would that be?

USD$3000 diff is for M50Noctilux0.95.

For 16-35mm SVE, you’re lucky to secure the lens now, how can there ever be a savings from HK? Perhaps just a little due to exchange rate. My 16-35 was preordered through Leica Store Singapore. So will be the coming SL35. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am all for supporting local stores and have done and will continue to do so.... but when there is a significant price advantage!  Living in Switzerland, I have just bought an SL from a main London  dealer which, after all import duties etc, is sub 2/3rds of the  best price available locally.  Will check out the HK links mentioned here as a few lenses to add.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, howiebrou said:

Come on old chap, relax.

@howiebrou youngster, actually I do not appreciate replies that do not add anything constructive to the discussion by someone who does not even care to read the original post yet try to patronise ... enough said, do your homework

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are here to help each other. I admire your supporting of your local store. I also think saving by buying cheaper is a good value.  It is up to each individual to decide. I have no intention to pursue others.

Here I am only asking you to provide the info that your message implies but is not clearly seen. Just for the sake of convenience to the readers who might be interested. 

FYI, you can buy SL 16-35 for about 39000 HKD from Fourpo HK (grey market item, new) and about USD 5499 from BH in US. About 400USD cheaper , not as much as other items I know. None are my California local store. 

 

 

Edited by Einst_Stein

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Am 15.12.2016 um 22:43 schrieb Docderm:

Would appreciate opinions as I am considering buying there.

 

My understanding is that these lenses are genuine Leica lenses, can see their Leica boxes on Ebay, claim to have 2 year "international Leica" warranties, I called Leica in New Jersey who say they will honor the international warranty if repairs done in New Jersey. 

 

Example: Brand new Noctilux 0.95

at B&H in New York: $10, 650   https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/586190-REG/Leica_11_602_50mm_f_0_95_Noctilux_M_Aspherical.html

 

At Ebay vendor with great reviews in Hong Kong including shipping: $7699   http://www.ebay.com/itm/262719914108?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

 

What explains this difference in prices? Are these HK lenses somehow inferior??

 

Thanks

 

DocDerm

NO VAT, but If you come back to your home country, normally you should declare it.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SiggiGun said:

NO VAT, but If you come back to your home country, normally you should declare it.....

Legally perhaps yes, but ethically, why should you pay tax on an item which was neither manufactured in Norway nor had any connection with Norway. Just attach it to your camera on the way in!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2018 at 4:00 AM, howiebrou said:

Legally perhaps yes, but ethically, why should you pay tax on an item which was neither manufactured in Norway nor had any connection with Norway. Just attach it to your camera on the way in!

Might be a good arguement. Feel free to do it?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2018 at 12:00 PM, howiebrou said:

Legally perhaps yes, but ethically, why should you pay tax on an item which was neither manufactured in Norway nor had any connection with Norway. Just attach it to your camera on the way in!

This would be to violate the law, at least when crossing the boarder to Norway. So a no-go for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, howiebrou said:

I don‘t need to. No VAT in my country!☺️

Maybe we shall all move to this Nirvana of your country... and forfeit things like universal free or state subsidised health cover, education, state pensions, etc. Perhaps discussion is for the Barnak Bar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×