Why are brand new Leica lenses so much cheaper in Hong Kong?

Docderm

I buy most of my stuff in HK. It is all genuine and recently produced (i.e. you won‘t find new equipment more than a few months old here). The volume turnover is just so large that dealers can make a good profit without ripping off the customer. Added to that, that there is 0% import tax on all goods except spirits and cigarettes (even wine is 0% import tax) and it is clear that there is an advantage here. Pay by cash and you will get the best deals.

Having said that, when the item is in high demand or is a limited edition, prices here can be much higher than in Europe. The 75mm Noctilux was more than Europe as was the APO 50mm LHSA which i ended up buying from Germany and subtracting the 19% tax. Liek all things rare, the Chinese purchasing power means they can charge as much as they like and someone will still buy it.

On 12/17/2016 at 12:53 AM, Docderm said:

Please chime in if you have bought in HK with good outcome.....and also if the outcome was not so good. 

I would like to get a feeling about many individual experiences. 

Thanks

I had positive experience buying my Noctilux 0.95 from Fotopia HK. Pay in advance 50% and cash remainder upon delivery some 4 years ago. Saved $3000. Took a family holiday in 4 Seasons HK for a couple of days with the savings.

I had positive experience buying from a grey market importer in Singapore on my M21lux. 

Never had issues.

• Like 1

I recently bought from the EBay Breuguet store a new SL 50 saving 1k from list, no tax and they stated in their listing the lens is already in the US (5 minutes from my work in NJ) so no need to worry about possible fees from shipping companies or import duties. 

• Like 1

Guest Nowhereman
12 hours ago, ymc226 said:

I recently bought from the EBay Breuguet store a new SL 50 saving 1k from list, no tax and they stated in their listing the lens is already in the US (5 minutes from my work in NJ) so no need to worry about possible fees from shipping companies or import duties. 

There are no import duties on still camera lenses in the US. 

Really? Not even state taxes? that makes buying from overseas even more attractive . It’s my understanding that in the rare event that your lenses fail you can send them back to Germany anyway regardless of where you bought it and in my lifetime I have never had a lens fail. I do however feel that we need to support our own local bricks and mortar stores. 

7 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

There are no import duties on still camera lenses in the US. 

I forget the shipper, maybe UPS, but was charged a “handling” fee billed a week or so after delivery. This occurred more than once but a few years back when I purchased more frequently. The fee was above the seller’s shipping fees. 

7 hours ago, howiebrou said:

Really? Not even state taxes? that makes buying from overseas even more attractive . It’s my understanding that in the rare event that your lenses fail you can send them back to Germany anyway regardless of where you bought it and in my lifetime I have never had a lens fail. I do however feel that we need to support our own local bricks and mortar stores. 

I have bought from both Leica boutiques in Los Angeles and So Ho. The New York store didn’t charge sales tax when shipped to my home in NJ but LA did stating the repair facility in NJ counted as a branch of the business. 

Guest Nowhereman
3 hours ago, ymc226 said:

I forget the shipper, maybe UPS, but was charged a “handling” fee billed a week or so after delivery. This occurred more than once but a few years back when I purchased more frequently. The fee was above the seller’s shipping fees. 

Yes, my experience a couple of years ago UPS charged a $75 shipping fee, which is indeed excessive. You can try asking the seller not to use UPS.

I’ve tested the price.com.hk and resulting offers in HK on the SL SVE 16-35 zoom and it turns out I can buy it cheaper in Sydney.  Why would I be going to HK on a trip or buying online if I can get the same in my local Leica Store in the city. So it pays to check with every such purchase. Notably, 50 Noctilux is cheaper in HK. For all those living across the pond, you may take advantage of the strong USD or weak AUD, whichever way you want to look at it, as it may be much cheaper for you to buy in Sydney than in the USA. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, meerec said:

I’ve tested the price.com.hk and resulting offers in HK on the SL SVE 16-35 zoom and it turns out I can buy it cheaper in Sydney.  Why would I be going to HK on a trip or buying online if I can get the same in my local Leica Store in the city. So it pays to check with every such purchase. Notably, 50 Noctilux is cheaper in HK. For all those living across the pond, you may take advantage of the strong USD or weak AUD, whichever way you want to look at it, as it may be much cheaper for you to buy in Sydney than in the USA. 

please share the store name and the price.

4 hours ago, meerec said:

Be aware that just because a shop on price.com.hk has a price for an item it doesn’t mean it has it in stock. Many shops will have a price for a silver Noctilux, for example, but 99% won’t be able to get it, unless you wait and the time can be unknown. Also as i mentioned earlier, if an item is in high demand, then the price sky rockets. There is no such thing as MSRP in Hong Kong. Even the official Leica shops jack the prices up when items are in demand. Unfortunate but that’s the way things work. So yes, you must check each item and preferably call them to see if they actually can get it. Otherwise you could have a wasted and very expensive trip.