Docderm

Why are brand new Leica lenses so much cheaper in Hong Kong?

Would appreciate opinions as I am considering buying there.

My understanding is that these lenses are genuine Leica lenses, can see their Leica boxes on Ebay, claim to have 2 year "international Leica" warranties, I called Leica in New Jersey who say they will honor the international warranty if repairs done in New Jersey. 

Example: Brand new Noctilux 0.95

at B&H in New York: $10, 650   https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/586190-REG/Leica_11_602_50mm_f_0_95_Noctilux_M_Aspherical.html

At Ebay vendor with great reviews in Hong Kong including shipping: $7699   http://www.ebay.com/itm/262719914108?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

What explains this difference in prices? Are these HK lenses somehow inferior??

Thanks

DocDerm

.... lack of import tariffs and low taxes, presumably......

HK promotes 'positive non-interventionism' ...... so this probably reflects a true market value price without the usual jiggery-pokery engaged in by some economies.....

Hong Kong prices have always been lower, in my school days one of my friends lived in Hong Kong, he would go home every holiday with a shopping list for friends, he would return with some of the most impressive Canon and Nikon set-ups you have ever seen!

What about quality of goods? Are you concerned some trickery is going on? 

Is there some doubt whether these are Leica lenses of legitimate provenance? 

Edited by Docderm

I've had plenty of Leica stuff from HK (used/unused old stock) and it has all been legit and better than described/graded. 

They just stack em high and sell em cheap .......no need to engage in trickery. High volume, low margins, still makes a good profit.

Edited by thighslapper

Hong Kong is not some strange place. There are reputable dealers there. You just have to do a web search. 

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

I am from Hong Kong. Usually, we go to some reputable shops to buy leica products. Their reputation are spread by mouth. For long term users, we have a list of bad shops in mind, but it is not good to print this out in internet. You may search in internet about those reliable shops, but they tend to mark their products a bit more expensive, as they also know they are more reputable and can charge more. There are some "smaller" stores that are also reliable but have cheaper products, but you need to walk in to buy.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Would appreciate opinions as I am considering buying there.

My understanding is that these lenses are genuine Leica lenses, can see their Leica boxes on Ebay, claim to have 2 year "international Leica" warranties, I called Leica in New Jersey who say they will honor the international warranty if repairs done in New Jersey.

Example: Brand new Noctilux 0.95

at B&H in New York: $10, 650 https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/586190-REG/Leica_11_602_50mm_f_0_95_Noctilux_M_Aspherical.html

At Ebay vendor with great reviews in Hong Kong including shipping: $7699 http://www.ebay.com/itm/262719914108?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

What explains this difference in prices? Are these HK lenses somehow inferior??

Thanks

DocDerm

Because there a bunch of robbing b@stards in Europe and America.

Actually if you don't live in the U.K. Your better off buying in Scotland like I do and enjoy a 19% discount [emoji7][emoji7][emoji41][emoji41][emoji7][emoji7]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

you must be American [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I would be curious to hear from more folks who have looked into HK deals and what swayed their decision making: 

1) purchased there

2) thought about purchasing there and decided not to. 

I've had plenty of Leica stuff from HK (used/unused old stock) and it has all been legit and better than described/graded.

They just stack em high and sell em cheap .......no need to engage in trickery. High volume, low margins, still makes a good profit.

High volume, low margin, I agree.....

It's anathema to buy overseas for many USA'ians. They buy brick 'n mortar...a huge reason why the USA economy is so robust.  They have auction houses, choice of goods galore.

They have the huge population of consumers, and it all works internally, and keeps the economy so robust.  Many do their holidays within the Nation.  And all good to them...they know how to support their country.

For us others, sometimes we have to buy on 'Bay just to have some choice.  Lenses I am looking for just aren't in Australia for example.  So Japan is my first choice, but it may be Hong Kong, or even Ukraine.

But I search, and search, and make sure of whom I'm dealing with excellent return policy.

I returned several collapsible 50mm Summicrons dated from 1952...I wanted a particular date.  Too many scratched, or something not suitable.  I've returned, and had excellent work with EBay and all sellers.

I've has trouble with only one seller from a country...unnamed. Who tried to trick me.

I see no reason to not trust Hong Kong...it's about the particular dealers.  Like all financials, buyer be ware.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

What about import customs when buying from HK?

Depends where you live..........in Malaysia its 6%

What about import customs when buying from HK?

Yes, of course that is a major consideration, plus postage, insurance, customs costs, etc.

My recent M-P purchase was based on many factors...certainly overseas costs with 10% GST and postage, etc, and the recent Australian $800 rebate from Leica...made me buy in my home town.

Plus it gives me security knowing I can go to them in person, and grizzle if it's not working.

But it's working...very well.

Please chime in if you have bought in HK with good outcome.....and also if the outcome was not so good. 

I would like to get a feeling about many individual experiences. 

Thanks

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Please chime in if you have bought in HK with good outcome.....and also if the outcome was not so good. 

I would like to get a feeling about many individual experiences. 

Thanks

You could always just jump on a plane and go and pick yourself up a bargain..............be careful of the Chinese knockoffs though

:)