Using filters on the 11-23mm lens

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I have recently purchased into the T system, my first lens being the 11-23mm lens. I would like to use a circular polarising filter with it, but am concerned about vignetting when using it at the wide (11mm) end. Does anyone in the community use a polarising filter on this lens? If so, have you encountered any problems? I am considering the B&W brand as they seem to be well respected. My use of a polarising filter is not necessarily to deepen skies, as I am sure the effect will be uneven at the 11mm end, but to reduce reflections on water.

BTW, I am loving the T system; I have been in the market for a interchangeable lens camera for around a year and, along with Leica, looked closely at Olympus, Fuji and Pentax systems. For my use the T is ideal so I look forward to adding lenses over the next couple of years. 

Given there are now six lenses available for the T, does anyone know if the roadmap is complete or are there rumours of others? I would like to see a longer 120mm telephoto make an appearance as I used to love shooting a 180mm lens back in my film days :-)

Regards, Steve

I did a few test shots with a standard, 67mm  B&W Polarizer on the 11-23mm T lens - set  at 11mm  .. yes this also vignettes a bit at 11mm.  However, by the 12.5mm setting,  it was gone. I am sure a slim model polarizer would alleviate this to some extent, but the extra cost is not worth it to me for the few  times I run into this problem  - also,  it can be somewhat  minimized with software, or, with  a minor crop.

B&W also lists a wide 67mm Polarizer which may help, but I bet there will be trouble fitting the hood if it is installed.  And, it lists for around $200.

Edited by RickP
  • Like 1