$5000 Paperweight?

Ashland

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I agree such choices would be a very good thing to tide the OP over. The X-Vario is one of the most underrated cameras that Leica produced. The whole X-series is deserving of more appreciation IMO. My X2 is in regular use. In fact, it was used in my latest thread in the Photo-forum.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/267602-show-off-your-christmas-homemade-food-open-thread/?do=findComment&comment=3171568

• Like 1

^ I'll second that. A pre-owned X2 would be a great choice. Little different focal, but "modus operandi" is quite similar to Q.

On 2nd hand market price isn't too bad either and then you can either sell it later at very little loss or keep it as more pocketable choice/backup.

Image quality is simply great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I also still like my X2. But some hours ago I went through my old pictures and my feeling is the X1 gave even better pics than the X2. Hard to explain, hard to be more precise but the number of absolute keepers I found in my collection is higher for the X1 than for the X2.

Just my 2 cents

TK

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I feel for you.

I came very close to this with a leaky bottle of whiskey in the back of the car.

I now have an A&A bag that smells sweetly of a bottle of Bowmore. 

Thank goodness it was an Islay single malt!!

• 1 month later...

Update:

I finally heard back from Leica and apparently the water damage is so bad that they will NOT repair it. So I really am sitting on a $5000 paperweight...Now what? Is there anywhere I can sell a non repairable Q? or just let it sit on my desk as a reminder to how bad I screwed up :(

I'm so discouraged to choose Leica again...Yeah I can be more careful but in the rare instance water gets on another leica and screws it up, I'd be out thousands of dollars again. Cameras designed to be "street shooters" should really be weather sealed.

Edited by Ashland

I'm so discouraged to choose Leica again...Yeah I can be more careful but in the rare instance water gets on another leica and screws it up, I'd be out thousands of dollars again. Cameras designed to be "street shooters" should really be weather sealed.

It's certainly a dilemma Ashland ... and I feel for ya. So many reports of faulty Q's I'm almost frightened to use mine  :rolleyes:

I'm also using a Fuji X-T2 with a choice of weather resist lenses, no fears of using this, whatever, wherever, whenever  ....

They're both superb cameras and I would be hard pressed to have to make a decision  :unsure:

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm a believer in insurance but this is difficult to justify.  Our gear is very pricy and the insurers want to make money (of course).

The reliability of the Q is amazing -- I don't fear a failure and insurance wouldn't cover failures.

What are the odds of gear getting damaged beyond repair?  Quite slim I imagine.  I have 3 year Canon Carepak on my field lenses and body.  

But I have no insurance on my Q.  I feel horrible knowing you had such a loss.  

As to weather sealing, only an underwater housing would survive a spilled water bottle.  Fuji, Nikon D5, Canon 1D -- usable in rain when protected but only for a splash, not a dunk.

Update:

I finally heard back from Leica and apparently the water damage is so bad that they will NOT repair it. So I really am sitting on a $5000 paperweight...Now what? Is there anywhere I can sell a non repairable Q? or just let it sit on my desk as a reminder to how bad I screwed up :(

I'm so discouraged to choose Leica again...Yeah I can be more careful but in the rare instance water gets on another leica and screws it up, I'd be out thousands of

dollars again. Cameras designed to be "street shooters" should really be weather sealed.

• 2 months later...

I suggest you send the broken Q to the German head office/factory for a repair quote, they may have other options. You only lose money on the shipping. Other option is bring it to a camera tinkerer and let him have a go at it. But before anything negotiate a low price if nothing happens. You have nothing to lose except a few dollars since the camera's already broken. It can't get any worse.

This really stinks - so sorry for your loss.  If you are looking for a less expensive (somewhat) alternative to the Q I would suggest the T (not the TL as the T can be found for way less on the big auction site and other places) - I have Both a Q and a T system (several lenses) and love them both - some people don't like the T's interface - personally I think it is great and sure beats the interface on my Canon cameras.  Anyway, take a deep breath and then do what you need to do to be able to start shooting again !!!

One thing you could do is take the thing apart and remove all corrosion, spray with some moisture protection and see whether that will revive it (for a while?)  It is more of a desperate hobby project than any kind of solution though. (it has been known to work in a  lucky few cases)

@Ashland

Have you tried to follow Sandbites' suggestion?

If I were you, I would try again. Have you tried to contact Leica Germany directly?

You wrote that the camera was sent to Leica. Did your dealer (or you) make contact directly with Leica in Germany respectively was the answer he/you got directly from Leica service in Germany? Was the camera sent to Germany and did the Leica people there have a look at it?

I'd assume that, of course, a restoration would cost (a considerable amount of) money, as a number of expensive working hours must be spent here, and, of course, you'd have to pay for it. But I can hardly believe that it should be completely impossible to clean and repair/replace the damaged parts for less than the original price.

Did they say, that the costs for repairing the camera would be higher than the price for a new one? Or was the answer "no" because your dealer asked them to restore it in the context of a warranty case?

I wish you all the best, keep trying!

Edited by Macberg

I recommend contacting Leica Westlar directly. It's an opportunity for them to see directly a real customer experience with damage from water. I'd try to sell them that this is an opportunity to learn and they really don't benefit from anyone having a practically new $5000 paperweight. Appeal to their pursuit of excellence for customer experiences. Why not contact the CEO directly? It cannot hurt. I'd forget going through your dealer. Heck, depending on where you live, it might be worth a trip to Westlar to speak with them face to face. Good luck. Many on the forum are wishing you success.

Don't be optimistic. Leica (Wetzlar) is always very quick to write off a moisture damaged camera. The reason is simple: even if they were able to get it working, corrosion is very likely to expand, making the repair temporary. Not only the electronic prints corrode, contacts and light metal parts will be affected as well. Normally it is cheaper to engrave the serial number of the damaged camera on a completely new one.

I don't want to add the the poster's pain, but it's really important IMHO to get a supplemental insurance policy that covers your Leica camera equipment. It's not that expensive, and, while I have never needed to use my policy, it is well worth the peace of mind that it brings (e.g., whether your camera is stolen or broken or whatever).

• 5 weeks later...

I tipped a kayak and went underwater with a Canon 5D Mark III last summer and was submerged for about 10 seconds.  The camera was nonfunctional after that episode.  I sent it to Canon for repair and was told that it could not be fixed for a reasonable cost and they shipped it back to me.  So I had a paperweight on my shelf.  (Actually bought a Leica XU after that for my on-the-water photography!)  So about six months later, i put a battery in that paperweight and believe it or not, it was back to normal!  Hard to believe.  So don't ditch your paperweight right away.

• Like 2

I tipped a kayak and went underwater with a Canon 5D Mark III last summer and was submerged for about 10 seconds. The camera was nonfunctional after that episode. I sent it to Canon for repair and was told that it could not be fixed for a reasonable cost and they shipped it back to me. So I had a paperweight on my shelf. (Actually bought a Leica XU after that for my on-the-water photography!) So about six months later, i put a battery in that paperweight and believe it or not, it was back to normal! Hard to believe. So don't ditch your paperweight right away.

That says stick it in a ziplock back with dessicant and put it away for 6 months. You might also be surprised. The last thing I would do is power up shortly after a dunking. Don't give the electronics any opportunity to short or malfunction until its thoroughly dried out as best you can. I am an Electrical Engineer with 40 years experience, but I'm just offering my opinion. I've never torn apart a camera.

I used to build and sail radio control model boats. The electronics in those would get wet every trip out. We would pull the circuit boards, run them under fresh water to wash all salts out then put them in a warm place to dry. A few days later we'd put them back in and everything would be fine.

Fresh water doesn't damage electronics, it's the salts dissolved in water that does. As other say, wait a while and try it again.

• Like 1