$5000 Paperweight?

Ashland

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everybody,

New to the forum but have browsed for a few months now. I really screwed up today.

So I had my Q in my messenger bag and placed a bottle of water along side it. Next thing I know I feel water running down my pant leg and notice its coming from my bag. I take the Q out and its clear the bottle emptied next to it however It didn't seem to get very wet as most of the body was dry. This was until I checked the viewfinder and specs of water were appearing around the rubber part when i turned it upside down. I definitely have water damage. This happened this morning and the camera won't turn on.

After only having it for a few months and saving up for what seemed a lifetime, I just had to share this with you all as I think I might be the first person to destroy their Q, this is a terrible feeling, please be careful with your camera :(

Put it in a sealed tupperware box with some uncooked rice asap. Don't try turning it on again for at least 48 hours. It might still recover, I've done this with phones before. Sorry for your bad luck.

Also open the battery compartment and remove the battery and memory card. Leave all compartment access flaps open.

I would just leave it next to an open window if you are in a dry climate, but the rice and container thing may be on point.

Good luck!

J :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Mute-on

Send it to Leica for a checkup and a estimate on repair. I dropped my Q in the ground two days after i bought it rendering the camera useless. Leica repaired it for free for me. You might not be that lucky, but it never hurts to ask what it would cost, and then contact you insurance company to see if your insurance might cover the cost.

• Like 1

Hi everybody,

New to the forum but have browsed for a few months now. I really screwed up today.

So I had my Q in my messenger bag and placed a bottle of water along side it. Next thing I know I feel water running down my pant leg and notice its coming from my bag. I take the Q out and its clear the bottle emptied next to it however It didn't seem to get very wet as most of the body was dry. This was until I checked the viewfinder and specs of water were appearing around the rubber part when i turned it upside down. I definitely have water damage. This happened this morning and the camera won't turn on.

After only having it for a few months and saving up for what seemed a lifetime, I just had to share this with you all as I think I might be the first person to destroy their Q, this is a terrible feeling, please be careful with your camera :(

As well as the suggestions above, if you paid (even partly) for your Q by credit card it may be covered under the card insurance for accidental damage. Get out your T&C's and check!

Hi everybody,

CC insurance or Home Owners insurance....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Very sorry to hear of your bad experience. It sure points out that water has no place in the same bag as the camera. We all need to keep that in mind and learn from your misfortune.

The rice or a dessicant is the right approach. It may be all you need to do. Unless it's perfect afterwards, I'd have it checked by Leica service. The sooner, the better so you can get back to taking great photos.

Good luck. Let us know how it unfolds.

Since I posted this I did place it in a ziplock bag with rice, we'll see if it turns on in a day or two. Unfortunately I rent with no renters insurance and my card doesn't cover it. Anybody know what kind of price I should expect to get quoted if it got fried?

That's pretty much impossible to say as it totally depends on what's fried. Could be anything from couple of hundred cla like cost to something that can't be fixed.

Even if does turn on & function in few days, do send it to Leica for repair. They can use ultrasonic wash etc techniques on it to prevent future corrosion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Since I posted this I did place it in a ziplock bag with rice, we'll see if it turns on in a day or two. Unfortunately I rent with no renters insurance and my card doesn't cover it. Anybody know what kind of price I should expect to get quoted if it got fried?

In the U.K.,I'd be surprised if any rental company would allow their goods to be taken away without Cover for total loss being in place. Premium usually paid by the owner or renter, but the terms of the insurance specifically worded to match a rental contract.

How are you going to return the full value of the camera to the owner? Are you expected to do so? How long is your rental period and do the rental payments cover the full value of the camera. Was insurance optional?

I'm not being critical I'm being curious, and I empathise with you, but the whole arrangement does appear misguided.

If you dry it out and it becomes fully operational, will you tell the owner what happened?

Just interested.......

Later::: I just re-read your post. You saved up for this camera, so why is it rented. It seems that you own it. . It must be a rather different type of purchase/rental/ownership in the USA.

Later 2:::: Maybe the terminology is creating confusion. You don't rent the camera, you rent your accommodation. Am I right?

Edited by lucerne

In the U.K.,I'd be surprised if any rental company would allow their goods to be taken away without Cover for total loss being in place. Premium usually paid by the owner or renter, but the terms of the insurance specifically worded to match a rental contract.

How are you going to return the full value of the camera to the owner? Are you expected to do so? How long is your rental period and do the rental payments cover the full value of the camera. Was insurance optional?

I'm not being critical I'm being curious, and I empathise with you, but the whole arrangement does appear misguided.

If you dry it out and it becomes fully operational, will you tell the owner what happened?

Just interested.......

Later::: I just re-read your post. You saved up for this camera, so why is it rented. It seems that you own it. . It must be a rather different type of purchase/rental/ownership in the USA.

Later 2:::: Maybe the terminology is creating confusion. You don't rent the camera, you rent your accommodation. Am I right?

I feel you should receive proper recognition for getting there in the end, like one of those shiny blankets they throw over marathon runners when they cross the finish line...

:-)

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Put it in a sealed tupperware box with some uncooked rice asap. Don't try turning it on again for at least 48 hours. It might still recover, I've done this with phones before. Sorry for your bad luck.

Don't bother with rice, it doesn't work. Get all those silica packs from when you got electronics, cameras, lenses, put them all in a ziplock with the camera, cross your fingers and hope it comes back to life.

Had same with a new compact lumix panasonic in 2009, well it fell down in a pond... I took it straight away to the shop and they got it repaired...it costed about 200euros...well it was not a very expensive cam....

I should not try anything else than run to Leica.

Keep us informed and...dont be despaired, there must be a solution...

Just interested.......

Sorry for my wording, I rent my flat, not my camera.

Update:

I sent my Q to Leica on the 15th so now it's the waiting game to hear what the damage really is...I've been so uninspired to shoot lately, I sold most of my previous camera gear to purchase the Q and now I'm stuck with a point and shoot Sony RX100M4 lol....It's painful having to use that as my primary camera right now...I might have to invest in something better in the meantime.

• Like 1

i feel horrible for you.   Not that this is any consolation - but your experience is not uncommon and reminded me of what happened to my about 10 years ago.  I was commuting on the commuter rail system and put my coffee mug (it was about 1/2 full) into my canvas bag to take a phone call or some other reason-- along with it was my laptop. . . . well my laptop fried and my canvas bag developed a large coffee stain.

Sorry for my wording, I rent my flat, not my camera.

Update:

I sent my Q to Leica on the 15th so now it's the waiting game to hear what the damage really is...I've been so uninspired to shoot lately, I sold most of my previous camera gear to purchase the Q and now I'm stuck with a point and shoot Sony RX100M4 lol....It's painful having to use that as my primary camera right now...I might have to invest in something better in the meantime.

Perhaps consider a pre-owned X Vario, X 113 or Leica T and a lens. None is a Q, but each of them can produce some really stunning images. Suggestion: look at the T or X forum for some of the wonderful photos taken by each of these options.  And, in the case of the X Vario or the T (now, TL) you will have the option of variable lenses. They are great alternatives, and quite complementary to the Q. 

• Like 1