Do we really need to use an UVa filter on our lenses?

Hoppe

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Look obviously there are some very good reasons for using filters. In the spirit of this thread though the question is basically whether or not a filter is needed for reasons other than changing B&W tones, providing IR filtration etc. etc. and whether or not it's worth doing so.

In reality, the one who can answer this question is the individual user assessing whether or not the ever so slight reduction in image quality is worth it or not (for him or her) to protect the front element.

Edited by jay968

5 hours ago, jay968 said:

Look obviously there are some very good reasons for using filters. In the spirit of this thread though the question is basically whether or not a filter is needed for reasons other than changing B&W tones, providing IR filtration etc. etc. and whether or not it's worth doing so.

In reality, the one who can answer this question is the individual user assessing whether or not the ever so slight reduction in image quality is worth it or not (for him or her) to protect the front element.

Agree totally, except have you ever seen any evidence that there is any reduction in image quality, however slight?

7 hours ago, pedaes said:

Agree totally, except have you ever seen any evidence that there is any reduction in image quality, however slight?

No but I haven't seen the back side of the moon either  :) 

I know it's very much nit picking and I don't think that using filters as protection is a bad thing to do, I just quoted what I overheard a rep say to someone and what a guy who I studied photography with for years said.

I stumbled across this thread just now and didn't read all the posts—so maybe I'm just repeating what has been said before.

Two things:

(1) Tony Northrup is all talk, no substance.

(2) Using UV filters stopped making sense back in the '70s (a few exceptions notwithstanding).

I agree that there's no need optically these days to use a UV filter. It's a personal decision whether or not to stick one on to protect the front element.  I've had one occasion where I dropped a lens, and was grateful that it was there. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/8/2018 at 1:16 PM, carbon_dragon said:

The M8 IR sensitivity (as a bad thing) only related to magenta casts on black fabrics when taking pictures of people. I took landscapes and hardly ever people and never saw any difference. 

Maybe you didn’t look closely enough...

Jeff

Again, I bought the filter, never used it, "sometimes" ended up taking pictures of people but not often, and never noticed any kind of color shift. Maybe the fashion photographers might need to use the IR cut filter. And as I said, I mostly shot landscapes, which again never had any odd color cast that I noticed. I'm sure there were applications where you wanted to use the IR cut filter, but none of them ever came my way. In my opinion, the "contamination" was blown up way out of proportion. 

On the other hand, a digital that can take pretty decent IR pictures without expensive conversion and can ALSO take good normal pictures is a valuable camera I've hung on to despite having an M9 and M10. 

I understood your earlier point. Read the linked post from mjh, pointing out that IR contamination can affect lots of things, for example green foliage turning yellow/brown.  You likely just didn’t notice.  There are some here, including landscape photographers,  who continued to use IR cut filters even after the M8 for that reason.  There are various old threads here showing the effects. Whatever works for you.... but that doesn’t change the technical reality.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

• 3 months later...

I have been doing photography since since 1982. When I purchased my first lens the salesman added a UV filter. He explained that it would not add or detract from the image. The purpose was solely to protect the front element. Since that time I have consistently mounted a UV filter on any new lens before I mount it on the camera. Needless to say I have not had to have a front element polished for scratches.

• 1 month later...