D-109 Not Up to Leica Standards

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A "real world" test. It looks good to me.

I have always found the Panaleicas to be excellent compact cameras.

OK, obviously not as good as a full frame Leica but more than adequate for most things.

It certainly appears that it may be a faulty camera.

I had a D-Lux 5 earlier. I thought it was an excellent lens let down by a poor screen and controls. I got some good results, but it was hit and miss, and I didn't feel like persevering when there were other and better cameras around. The 109 is two notches ahead on that product line, a clear evolution in quality and usability. I think these cameras can hold their own in that particular market segment, and gain bonus marks from me for the controls aimed at photographers.

I think one could level some solid criticism at some of the "real" Leicas made in Germany. I can't see myself getting into the money pit of the M series, but the Q is, IMHO, the only compact Leica worth my trouble. The X and T series are flawed designs in my view, and the SL is a slab-sided monster that I couldn't bear.

Sure the DL109 doesn't play in the same league as high-end full frame cameras but it is so good that i would probably order another Lx100 if i had to replace it. And thanks to its small size and swivel screen i can take pics almost impossible with my M240. Let alone that the latter has no silent mode like the outdated M11 from this standpoint. I just miss a larger EVF for the Lx100.

• Like 1

Have had my D-Lux for almost 3 years and it has been the camera that I have carried on a daily basis, being used for both professional and personal work. It has been a great purchase and has lived up to high expectations.

On Saturday I noticed that I had dust on the sensor. I called Leica Mayfair on Tuesday morning, sent it to them Tuesday afternoon, they received  and cleaned it on Wednesday and couriered it back to be with me today Thursday - all free of charge. Not only am I very happy with the camera but also the fantastic service from Leica Mayfair.

As mentioned by others I would suggest that the OP send his camera to Leica and have the problem resolved

Harry

• Like 1

Have had my D-Lux for almost 3 years and it has been the camera that I have carried on a daily basis, being used for both professional and personal work. It has been a great purchase and has lived up to high expectations.

On Saturday I noticed that I had dust on the sensor. I called Leica Mayfair on Tuesday morning, sent it to them Tuesday afternoon, they received  and cleaned it on Wednesday and couriered it back to be with me today Thursday - all free of charge. Not only am I very happy with the camera but also the fantastic service from Leica Mayfair.

As mentioned by others I would suggest that the OP send his camera to Leica and have the problem resolved

Harry

Leica Mayfair's customer service is A+++ … one advantage of buying the D Lux 109 compared to buying the LX100.

dunk 

• Like 1

You do all know that the Original post dates back to December '16, the OP never replied to anyone's comments and he's not been on the Leica Forum in more than 3 months?

Leica Mayfair is worth a visit any time you visit London, as is Leica Manchester if in that fair city. However I didn't find the warmth, welcome or sense that 'they know what they're talking about here' in Mayfair's off-shoot in Royal Exchange.

You do all know that the Original post dates back to December '16, the OP never replied to anyone's comments and he's not been on the Leica Forum in more than 3 months? [...]

December 2016 is so far away that i don't remember ;).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The build quality, image quality, and performance of my d-lux 109 is stunning. Have no idea what Leica standards the OP is referring to. I have an X1 also and love it for what it is, but my D109 produces images just almost as sharp with it's amazing zoom, and the X1 performance is almost laughable in comparison. Panasonic is one of the best things to happen to Leica IMO,and vice versa.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I use the Pan LX 100 which is the same camera and depending upon where you buy it from almost half the price.

I regularly print to A2 size with it and get some impressive results. You should get equally good results with a 109.

• 3 months later...

Leica Mayfair's customer service is A+++ … one advantage of buying the D Lux 109 compared to buying the LX100.

dunk 

There's a big difference between Leica Mayfair and Leica New Jersey. I just had the sensor cleaned on my D109 and it took over two months.

There's a big difference between Leica Mayfair and Leica New Jersey. I just had the sensor cleaned on my D109 and it took over two months.

That's unreasonable and unacceptable … but i'm experiencing worse (since September 27) with a non-Leica repairer in the UK. 

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

That's really horrible. Are you sure they didn't lose it? That's very suspicious.

Excuses, excuses …  every time I chased ... and had to return both lenses when eventually 'finished' because jobs were not completed satisfactorily. Just chased again this evening and wondering what excuse will be stated this time. He'll likely blame the weather even though the lenses were returned first week in February. Getting to the stage where I can 'read him like a book' … i.e. excuses so predictable.  

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

Excuses, excuses … every time I chased ... and had to return both lenses when eventually 'finished' because jobs were not completed satisfactorily. Just chased again this evening and wondering what excuse will be stated this time. He'll likely blame the weather even though the lenses were returned first week in February. Getting to the stage where I can 'read him like a book' … i.e. excuses so predictable.

dunk

At the risk of sounding like Donald Trump, who I loathe, I'd tell the guy, "YOU'RE FIRED!"

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

The Panasonic version of the D-Lux Typ 109 is THE camera I advise people who want to buy a camera and are neighing to buy a entry lever DSLR. 

They are always happy with the camera I advise them! 

The Panasonic version of the D-Lux Typ 109 is THE camera I advise people who want to buy a camera and are neighing to buy a entry lever DSLR. 

They are always happy with the camera I advise them! 

I bought one for the wife last week (because I wanted it for ski touring  :p ) and, now that I've managed to switch off all the over sensitive control dials, I'm appreciating its output. It has reminded me what an excellent camera is the Q regarding user interface (as well as output). Here's a dog pic:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Pete

• Like 4

Crop

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Pete

• Like 2