Vario Elmar-T 18-56

Louis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

During my last trip, I realized my Nikkor and Angenieux zooms are great, but too big and heavy for travel and I really needed a native and AF zoom. So, I decided to trade my Nikkor 17-55 with a Vario Elmar-T 18-56. The Nikkor zoom is faster, but the Leica is much lighter and smaller as you can see the difference in the following picture. Now I have to learn how to use AF on T.

From my very first observation, the hood is lose and doesn’t click on the lens! Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

During my last trip, I realized my Nikkor and Angenieux zooms are great, but too big and heavy for travel and I really needed a native and AF zoom. So, I decided to trade my Nikkor 17-55 with a Vario Elmar-T 18-56. The Nikkor zoom is faster, but the Leica is much lighter and smaller as you can see the difference in the following picture. Now I have to learn how to use AF on T.

From my very first observation, the hood is lose and doesn’t click on the lens! Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

attachicon.gifcompare2.jpg

The hood does click and stays solid. Give it a gentle turn and you will secure it properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The hood does click and stays solid. Give it a gentle turn and you will secure it properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks very much! ... Did it, and it worked! :) As it is just out of the box, I didn't want to force it!

Where do I find the serial number? As I bought it from EBay, I must check with leica to see if the warranty is covered by leica!... They need a SN!

attachicon.gifcompare2.jpg

Congratulations on the new/native T lens, Louis. It does look much smaller than the large Nikkor 2.8, that's for sure. It'll handle much easier I'm sure, and perhaps quicker, too. Looking forward to seeing what you can do with this combination.

Bonne chance. 

Thomas/Paris 

• Like 1

Congratulations on the new/native T lens, Louis. It does look much smaller than the large Nikkor 2.8, that's for sure. It'll handle much easier I'm sure, and perhaps quicker, too. Looking forward to seeing what you can do with this combination.

Bonne chance. 

Thomas/Paris 

Thank you very much, dear Thomas. As soon as I unboxed the lens, I couldn't wait for trying it. Although it is a very cold and dark afternoon, I just went out for 1/2 hour to shoot, and I must admit, I was very pleasantly surprised. I have heard so much about how slow the focusing is, but I found it very decent! Maybe I had that impression because I have been using MF for a year? But it was faster than I expected. Also, I am very pleased with the sharpness. Now, I have to see the different options that a T MF lens has and learn the best that fits my type of photography!

These are the very first test shots with 18-56 mm, as soon as PP the rest that I shot tonight, I will post in the T photo forum! :)

p286060476-6.jpg

p513598222-6.jpg

Edited by Louis
  • Like 7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

18-55; f4.5;  iso1600

• Like 6

Louis, you produced such lovely photos with the Nikkor! Surprised you let it go. Best of luck with the new lens. But if you miss manual shooting, try maybe something like a Zeiss M mount or a M lens sometime. I would love to see what you can do with M glass.

Thank you very much!

I just let go the Nikkor 17-55 zoom that was too big and heavy. I needed a small "zoom" for travelling.

But I did not and will not give up on my other Nikkor lenses. I still have Nikkor 28 mm, 50 mm, 85 mm, 200 mm that are really very good. Also, I still have my superb Angenieux 35-70 mm with Nikon mount. I am sure I will be back to MF very soon. 18-56 is just for travel, and maybe street!

• Like 1

Early morning walk

18-56

• Like 3

Here's a black and white conversion

• Like 1

another

18-56 is just for travel, and maybe street!

No "maybe " here. I'm sure this lens can suit your style.  :p

Jean-Pierre

• Like 3