Digilux 3

It's a nice camera in a number of ways, but two things to keep in mind: it's an older model with a 4/3 sensor with 7.5 megapixels. Current 4/3 sensors often have 16mp or more. A megapixel race or contest is pointless, but with 7.5 you might not want to enlarge a shot to greater than 18 x 24 inches, and if you crop part of a shot the enlargement limit for that is similarly less than you might want.

The other issue is that in order to make an SLR within the rectangular body and thus keep the classic Leica shape, a porro prism was used, a design with one more mirror than usual. Each mirror in a light path cuts light by about 50%, so the view thru the Digilux 3 prism is darker than that of most SLRs. You would want to use the camera a little to see if that's bothersome.

A nice point about the camera is the available lenses. There's a wide range of 4/3 mount glass made by Leica/Panasonic, Panasonic, Olympus and others. If I ever get a 4/3 camera I'll add Leica/Panasonic's 25mm (50mm equivalent at 35mm) 1.4 prime, and the 14-150 (28-300) zoom. One or both of those may no longer be in production but I'd think they could be found. Both were well-reviewed and have the particular Leica lens signature (or "light" or "glow") we're all so fond of.

• Like 1

I guess it partly depends on the price it's being offered at and why you need it, or what other options you could consider.

I wouldn't buy it because if it develops a fault it's likely to be uneconomical to repair, you will be buying lenses for a 'dead' system so if your camera failed you would have to buy another older used example to keep using the lenses and most likely for the same money you can buy a much more capable micro 4/3rds or APS-C system camera which also offers you a future 'upgrade' path.

• Like 1

Thanks. Decided not to purchase.

You have probably made a good decision.

I ended up buying my Digilux 3 when my Leica Digilux 2 suffered sensor failure. Leica offered a free repair on the D2 or a chance to buy a new D3 for half the advertised price which appeared a good deal.

However, it was a camera I didn't enjoy using and it ended up lurking in the cupboard quite a lot unlike the Digilux 2 or even the Digilux 1 or the V-Lux / V-Lux 3 which I subsequently acquired.

I had a great difficulty with keeping my horizons horizontal - the balance appeared wrong - something I had never experienced before or since. The bulky lens which was mounted off centre appeared to be the cause.

I finally disposed of it in October trading it in for a new M262 at Leicastore Manchester where was I was given £200. This appeared a fair deal as I had only paid £800 for it in 2007/8.

However, when I went back to the shop one week later to buy an additional lens for the M they told me that they had sold it quickly.

The Digilux 3 would probably have been better if it had been sold with a standard non zoom lens with a zoom as an optional extra. i know a separate fixed focal length lens lens became available later but it just didn't appear to be a worthwhile buy.

John

John

Edited by jhluxton
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I love my Digilux 3.  It was my first venture into digital. The change from film to digital was traumatic for me so I wanted  the closest thing I could come to SLR. All the controls are where they are on my SLR's, the viewfinder is large and bright and the lens range 28-100 (35mm equivalent) is a great piece of glass. I've added only a 140-600 for good long distance results.   The camera made my transition easier. I'm sorry the Leica has left us hanging out here for the reasons stated by others above, but until such time as it fails me I'm a believer. 

• 5 years later...