Elma 50

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've got one of those Elma 50's and want to know if I can use it on my SL and more to the point can I collapse it without damaging the sensor??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What Elmar ( I suppose that you mean one of the many versions collapsible Elmar lenses that Leica has made over the last 80 years) specifically? In any case there is no reason that you would be unable to use any Elmar lens. It is impossible to damage the sensor with any collapsible lens, as the lens has the same distance to the sensor as to film. The shutter is another matter, as I do not know how far it protrudes on the SL. However, as an Elmar will intrude 22 mm max it is not really likely that it can hit the shutter collapsed. The main problem would be the width of the throat in relationship to the rear diameter of the barrel. In absence of data the best thing you can do is measure before collapsing. It is not unlikely that it is possible. Mount and dismount extended.

Resolution- and image quality-wise the best match to the SL sensor should be the last version: the Elmar-M 50/2.8. That  little lens will certainly produce superior, tack-sharp and contrasty results. Older versions will give more of a vintage look, with the 1950-ies-1960-ies Elmar 2.8 the softest, but all Elmar lenses are well worth using.

I don't own the latest Elmar-M, mine is older. You will not be able to collapse fully into the camera body any of the 50mm (Leica, Heliar, Hexanon). You will not damage the shutter nor the sensor. The frame in the lens mount will not let it done.

I use the 7mm thick rubber bands (gaskets) around the collapsible barrels of the lenses to prevent the scratches inside the camera. I have a few already. If you look into the camera, you will see the frame / window which guards the shutter.

You will see on the picture how deep the Elmar will go inside the SL. dd62db1b408e04d4ae2b1dd330bea785.jpg

Edited by ynp