28 lens in addition to the 28 Lux

ELAN

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I love my 28mm Summilux-M f/1.4. I've had it for 15 months now and shot well over ten thousand frames with it. It renders beautifully and has rewarded me with many great photographs.

But..... after a full day roaming the streets its weight and bulk takes a toll. I bump it more easily and I can feel the weight, and my M feels unbalanced carrying it all day. Recently I have opted to go out with the 35 FLE for its size and ergonomics even though (IMHO) it doesn't draw as nicely as the 28 Lux (or the 50 Lux), and is less suitable for my street roaming.

I therefore would like to buy another, smaller, 28mm lens to take on full day street walks. I have read all I can about the Summicron, the Elmarit, and now the lovely Summaron and I just can't make up my mind which to get.

The Summicon sounds great. I hear it draws like the 50 Lux, which I absolutely adore. But I think it's still a little big. Does it feel bigger than the 35 FLE?

The Elmarit also has great reviews, and I love the size, but the forum is full of people who switched from the Elmarit to the Summicron because of how the later renders.

Then there's this new sexy Sammaron. There aren't a lot of sample images yet so it's hard to tell if it will work for me, and f/5.6 seems a little limiting indoors and at dusk. I might get it just because it's so cool, but it's probably not the 28mm I'm looking for.

So there, I want a 28 that feels like the 35 FLE, or smaller, and draws like the 50 Lux, or closest to the 28 Lux. What would you recommend?

Thanks.

By logic, the compact modern alternative is the Elmarit 28 asph... but if I were you, I'd consider seriously a sort of different alternative like the very light and compact Voigtlander 25mm... for Street photo you probably can renounce to the external VF.

But I have not it, and neither the Lux 50 Asph and Lux 28, so about the rendering comparision you wrote of , have nothing to say... but lot of reports about can be found easily.

• Like 1

Hi

The Summicron 2/28 is very similar in size and weight to the Summilux 1.4/35.

Even a little bit shorter and with 60g less weight.

I use the Summilux and its great. I don´t  feel really the weight. With a smaller lens like the 2/28 it could be even better I suppose.

The Summaron looks very nice and it is made very nice. But the optical characteristics make it as a glass for very special applications.

The combination of fantastic sharpness with the extremely falloff make a very strange impression. It´s nothing modern and nothing old.

I tested it on my M(240) in Wetzlar. It´s a pity because it is really nice made.

At the end the best compromise could be the Elmarit 2.8/28. Very small, with a perfect optical performance but not so fast.

Make a good choise! :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I love my 28mm Summilux-M f/1.4. I've had it for 15 months now and shot well over ten thousand frames with it. It renders beautifully and has rewarded me with many great photographs.

Then there's this new sexy Sammaron....  I might get it just because it's so cool, but it's probably not the 28mm I'm looking for.

I think you should just stick to the lens you have got. If you like the image characteristics of the 28 Summilux so much why not continue to use it? After all, aren't the photographs the important consideration? It is one of the larger M lenses but it isn't so large that you need feel that you are suffering for your art. If, on the other hand, you are more interested in looking "cool" or earning gearhead brownie points then the Summaron is probably the current flavour of the month (or at least it was last month).

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 3

The danger with getting another 28mm is that your 1.4 will just sit at home. In saying that, I've got some 'fast' lenses that I like to take out on their own, but if travelling & taking 2 or 3 lenses then I take several 'slower' (lighter) lenses.

As you like the 35Lux do not rule out the Zeiss 28mm f2.8 as this renders (on digital Leica's) in the same way as the 35mm Lux.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

[...] I want a 28 that feels like the 35 FLE, or smaller, and draws like the 50 Lux, or closest to the 28 Lux. What would you recommend? [...]

I can recommend both my 28/2 v2 and 28/2.8 aph. The former preferably if you don't intend to keep your 28/1.4. Or the 28/2.8 asph if you don't want to let your 28/1.4 in a drawer ;). Seriously i have no experience with the 28/1.4 but if i needed f/1.4 i would certainly keep it and choose the Elmarit asph for its smaller size in good light.

Here is an endorsement for the Elmarit 28 ASPH - I have this lens and it is truly excellent.  It is outstanding in terms of a do it all 28mm and it is as light as a feather compared to pretty much any of the Summiluxes.

JMHO, but the ultimate wide angle set-up would be the 28 Elmarit and the 28 Summilux, backed up by the 21/3.4 Super Elmar. 

• 2 weeks later...

The new Summaron 28/5.6 M-Mount.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

OP here... I finally decided on the new Summaron 28/5.6.  Couldn't be happier.  This lens is so tiny and it feels like you're just carrying the body.  The rendering is beautiful too, quite sharp, and different than the Lux.  Thanks to everyone who offered advise.

28/2.8 asph. Tiny and good :)

However for M9 or M10 a cron does meet your criteria. Looks very different than lux. Sharper and very sweet stopped down.

29080355851_8436c3debf_b.jpg

Windswept Sentinals by unoh7, on Flickr

Not small, not big. Easier to use than FLE or 50 Lux, as it has no mid-zone dip.

14046251427_1e30835be1_z.jpg

DSC04183 by unoh7, on Flickr

Hood upside down ;)

26558915702_f7c8c77419_b.jpg

Hole in the Sky by unoh7, on Flickr

On 240 some complain it's too clinical.

Edited by uhoh7

The danger with getting another 28mm is that your 1.4 will just sit at home. In saying that, I've got some 'fast' lenses that I like to take out on their own, but if travelling & taking 2 or 3 lenses then I take several 'slower' (lighter) lenses.

As you like the 35Lux do not rule out the Zeiss 28mm f2.8 as this renders (on digital Leica's) in the same way as the 35mm Lux.

My fast lenses tend to stay at home also so why buy them?  

28 2.8 ASPH is a favorite as is 35 2.0 V4 for small size.  Also love my two 50 2.8 elmar M