Voigtlander 40mm f/1.4 on Leica 8/8.2

roshuu

Now I wonder if the upgrade M8 to M8.2 outside shutter, dial time, sapphire display did it ... hmm

Compared to the original M8, the fully upgraded M8u had eleven differences if memory serves (see below). I don't know if point 3 was optional though.

1. Discreet mode
2. Auto ISO
3. Framelines accurate at 2 meters instead of 0.7 m
4. Optimized shutter to reduce noise and vibration
5. 1/4000s shutter speed instead of 1/8000s
6. 1/180s flash sync instead of 1/250s
7. Top Main switch with more pronounced detent mechanism
8. Sapphire LCD
9. Black paint finish
10. Black Leica logo with black paint finish
11. Smaller battery charger with 80% charge display 

Just shoot with the 40mm lens at long focus distance. If the 35mm framelines look clearly inaccurate you've got an M8.2-like viewfinder most probably.

Leica service so I wrote:

"We can not do the modification. But your Leica M 8 can focuse starting on 1m."

What does it mean?

LOL! you seriously asked Leica service, wether they would modificate a CV40/1,4 to bring up 35 framelines?

No. I asked whether the upgrade to v 8.2 did something with viefinder and frames as he wrote a few posts above LCT, but the hands did not understand what I'm asking ...

• 3 weeks later...

That Leica will never touch a CV lens obviously. As far as i'm concerned, i can just repeat what i said above. With M8.2 or M8u bodies, i'd forget about 40mm lenses, 35mm is the way to go.

At the time I specifically bought a Summicron 40 mm lens to go with my M8. It was a great match.

Changes in my M8. I do not know if it improved distancing (2m). What do you think?

Do the same update M8 to M8.2 includes as standard improve these frames and the distance?

Mine is also upgraded M8 with same note as yours. I have summicron-C 40mm and found no problem in using 35mm frame for medium distance to infinity. The images were slightly cropped but it rarely bothered me. Shooting in 3 m or below, I usually expect to get 80-90% from what I see in frame or just take a step back. 

• 2 years later...

Hi all, hope all is well.  I’m a new owner of a M8.2.

Sorry to reactivate this thread, but have a question regarding the Voigtlander 40mm f.1.4. that I’m considering getting second hand.

As I understand, the  Voigtlander 40mm gives me the 50mm frame line in my M8.2,  and many people said its too tight. 

But with the 1.3 crop factor, 40mm is the equivalent of 52mm, so how come the 50mm frame line isn’t good on my M8.2? I’m a bit confused. 

I’m debating if I should get the older Voigtlander 35mm f2.5 (with M adapter) or the 40mm f1.4.  I am shooting mostly available light and wide aperture is handy.

Currently I own a 21mm f4, 28mm f2 and I can borrow a 35mm summicron from time to time. 

Thanks for your help!

1 hour ago, CharlesP said:

I’m debating if I should get the older Voigtlander 35mm f2.5 (with M adapter) or the 40mm f1.4

Difficult to compare lenses of different apertures. Problem with the CV 40/1.4 it has a lot of focus shift on rangefinder cameras. Same with the CV 35/1.4 v1. Did you consider the CV 35/1.4 v2? I have no experience with it but it would have significantly less focus shift issues i've been fold. If focus shift is not a problem for you, the CV 35/1.4 v1 works fine on the M8.2 and should be available second hand for similar prices as the 40/1.4 i guess. As for framelines compatibility with 40mm it is a matter of tastes. All i can say i stopped using my 40/2 lenses on the M8.2 for this only reason so my best advice is to try any 40mm lens on your M8.2 before deciding for that focal length on a camera that was not made for it. YMMV.

I just bought an M8 with a 40mm f1.4 CV to be a little more convenient with my IR work. I have a 35 Summilux and a 25 Canon that I don't use with my CL, so new kit :-). Recommendations to sell the 40, or ply with it to check for focus shifts? For years I used an 85 f2 Nikkor with my M2 and was used to estimating outside the 90 frame. I got a good deal on a 90 Elmarit in the last years I had the M2s and couldn't get used to the frame being correct, old habits die hard. They 90 is nice on my CL.

Thanks