Voigtlander 40mm f/1.4 on Leica 8/8.2

roshuu

Hello,

Thanks to you I bought a Leica 8.2 to my d-lux 109 :) I would now like to buy Voigtlander 40mm, but I heard that M can not see well with 40mm. What frame Leica M8 is set for this lens? How to do to be seen these 50mm?

Whether you buy V 40mm or 35mm V can better?

Hey Roshuu, 

I am using the 40mm 1.4 and honestly it is my favourite lens on the M8. 

I also own the 28 zeiss and the 50cron but always end up grabbing the 40 for some reason. 

The coverage is right outside the 50mm frame line on the M8 so it is not so hard to get used to. 

This lens delivers punch and its rather psychotic bokeh ads a bit of nervous energy to the photos. More unpredictable than the polished and perfect leica glass. 

You will not regret it. Especially at that price. It is must in my book. 

cheers. 

• Like 1

I think it will show the 50mm frame. The same as with the Summicron 40C.

50mm frames for the 40mm lenses are pretty much useless because they are much too tight IMO.

However, you can hold the frame lever to 35mm with your finger and 35mm frames on the M8 or M8.2 are very accurate as long as you take the inside of the lines.

You can have the bajonet modified to show the 35mm frames automatically or you can sort of ‘jam’ the frame lever into 35mm position with something if you do not want to do the mod. However, be careful not to apply to much force because the lever may come off. (for more details search for a post I made in 2009 if i remember it right)

Edited by dpitt

Hey Roshuu, 

I am using the 40mm 1.4 and honestly it is my favourite lens on the M8. 

I also own the 28 zeiss and the 50cron but always end up grabbing the 40 for some reason. 

The coverage is right outside the 50mm frame line on the M8 so it is not so hard to get used to. 

This lens delivers punch and its rather psychotic bokeh ads a bit of nervous energy to the photos. More unpredictable than the polished and perfect leica glass. 

You will not regret it. Especially at that price. It is must in my book. 

cheers. 

I insisted to buy it :)

Tell me what you set in the detection lens (menu)?

The lever frame is automatically set for this lens?

I think it will show the 50mm frame. The same as with the Summicron 40C.

50mm frames for the 40mm lenses are pretty much useless because they are much too tight IMO.

However, you can hold the frame lever to 35mm with your finger and 35mm frames on the M8 or M8.2 are very accurate as long as you take the inside of the lines.

You can have the bajonet modified to show the 35mm frames automatically or you can sort of ‘jam’ the frame lever into 35mm position with something if you do not want to do the mod. However, be careful not to apply to much force because the lever may come off. (for more details search for a post I made in 2009 if i remember it right)

Summicron 40mm unless it is not detectable in the M ... This is not the glass to the CL?

The M8 des not have a menu to set the lens, it relies solely on the 6 bit encoding.

Framelevers are not affected by the 6bitencoding, but can influence the lens detection on M8 and M9.

You have to physically modify the bajonet to bring up 35mm frames on the M8 and M9 automatically. Out of the box it will just show the 50mm frames.

With the frame lever on M8 and M9 one can always and with every lens move it with a finger to ‘try out’any frame available. Be aware that some models like the M-E do not have this lever.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The CV 40/1.4 i've tried had too much focus shift so i cannot advise it sorry. Same problem with my CV 35/1.4 SC. Also the framelines of the M8.2 are not the same as the M8's and don't match well the field of view of my 40mm lenses (Leica and Minolta 40/2). My best advice is a 35mm lens for M8.2. 

• Like 1

the 40/1,4 should give the 50 frameline, wich is way too tight. i'd rather do the mod on the lens to make it show the 35 framlines.

why?

because the M8 (unlike other M's) tends to show too tight framelines anyway. therefore, when the 35 framelines are showed, you are just right for framing the 40mm lens. as i read on this forum, most of the people using a 40mm lens on an M8 did this.

but: remember, that the 40/1,4 VC is NOT a leicalens. i frequently heard of problems with focusshift  with that lens. so maybe it is not the best choice and a 35 would be better. i used to use the old 35/1,7 VC Ultron on my M8 and was very happy with it. i only switched to the summicron 35 because i had an offer, i could not refuse (got the 8-lens 35 for the summaronprice) and still cant really find the difference in the most of my pictures.

Perhaps my failure - why would a photographer choose a lens that cannot frame properly in a Leica M?

Hmm .. can do. With M8 it is so much a problem, because it apsh 1.3 crop and frame work differently. 40mm is specific and it is not in a standard range (35, 50 75, etc.). At full-frame M9, M-E, M240 + no problems with standard lenses.

Anyway, what I'm talking here, you - you have 13.216 posts :)

Edited by roshuu

Hmm .. can do. With M8 it is so much a problem, because it apsh 1.3 crop and frame work differently. 40mm is specific and it is not in a standard range (35, 50 75, etc.). At full-frame M9, M-E, M240 + no problems with standard lenses...

Not to contradict you but this has little to do with the crop factor. It goes the same with the M9 for instance. But not with M8.2 nor M240.

Without the "filing off the flange of the lens" what is it? I do not understand, perhaps the fault of my knowledge of English

If you file the flange here the lens will bring up 35mm instead of 50mm framelines. I cannot advise this on M8.2 nor M240 bodies.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lct
  • Like 1