What editing software is best for Leica T(TL)?

I use capture one mainly because I'm against the idea of rental software,so I don't really like what adobe is doing to the industry.

On the other hand very happy with capture one, I found it easier to use than lightroom, and also don't need to edit much as the camera profile for T is really good

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I use LR, and run my keepers through DxO Optics Pro. Sometimes, DxO Optics Pro brings out nuances in light and shadow details that I cannot achieve in LR. It really seems to bring out the best in Leica's M & T lenses for me.

I use LR for my Q and M240 simply so I have the option of using Silver Efex Pro. I trialed Capture One for a month with my M240 files from a trip to Shetland. I was pleased with the results and some of the features of Capture One such as being able to make a mask from a particular colour, and invert masking. Also, I felt reds and skintones were better compared to LR. In the end I didn't want to layout more cash for more PP software. If I was starting from scratch I think I'd go with Capture One.

Pete

I moved from Aperture to Capture One, now using version 10.

I tried to make me like Lightroom a few times, but I can't stand the Adobe interface and the subscription model.

It is my personal preference of course, Lightroom is a very complete and capable software if you like it.

• Like 1

Just for further information, this is from Thorsten's M-D262 article:

"Getting Capture One to work well, is one of my side-projects for the time being. So I asked Stephan Schultz of Leica Camera AG about Adobe Lightroom vs. Capture One a month ago, and what their stand is. Stephan Schultz said that Leica Camera AG have a good dialog with Adobe and work well with them on current and future camera models. In his opinion, one is better off working with Adobe Lightroom for their Leica files for present and future (models)"

Pete

• Like 1

Also FYI, the relationship between Leica and Phase One has always been a bit awkward at best as Phase One refuses to support systems of competitors, i.e.. other medium format systems like Hasselblad.  The Leica S is therefore also not supported by Phase One.  Personally I don't get this strategy.  I actually find it very short-sighted but it is what is.  It is also the reason that Capture One is not my main editor as I can't use it on one of my cameras...  I am not surprised that Leica recommends LR over Capture One.  Why would you recommend software that deliberately refuses to support one of your systems?

• 2 weeks later...

I use LTR6 standalone version (since LR3). With the LR Dhaze filter (as Gibson has published).

I also have DxO 10 and DxO Viewpoint.

I am absolutely happy with LR especially LR6. Not so happy with DxO Optics Pro now at v11. Very happy with DxO Viewpoint especially v3 now.

Edited by LexS

Use Lightroom mostly and happy with their colour control and outcomes. Not too happy with their sharpness and noise control. Prefer RAW Developer for that. Have C1, but no time to use it as I feel a big learning curve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Wow. This is an oldish thread. I had a copy of Lightroom 5, a perpetual license as I purchased the CD at a good deal. Life happens, used other software, forgot I had it, etc. 

I tried to install it after two years and it fails to launch because the adobe installation certificate expired. Called adobe and they said they no longer support LR 5, so they can't help. Or more accurately, chose NOT to help. This is by design. They don't want perpetual licenses floating around, and refuse to give me patches to update the certificate. They suggested I go with the cloud based subscription. On top of what I already spent for something I cannot use. Yet. So. . . 

I want to use something that isn't adobe. I cannot stand the entire concept of subscription based software. Any recommendations today, april 24 2018, for photo editing software (Nikon/ Leica) with a perpetual software license that anybody can recommend?

Thanks very much. 

I’m trialling the latest Capture One version, following the Leica discount.

I don’t mind LR and PS, but I hate the subscription system. Also, I use three computers - home, work and laptop - Adobe only recognise the right to use 2 computers, so I have to log in and out of Adobe to use their products (even stand alone, licensed softeware, it seems). I’m over Adobe, and this alone will push me to Capture One. I’m just trying to work out if it will screww up my filing - everything is filed by date. If I lose that structure, I’ll be well pissed.

I know I shouldn’t say so, but in this case...There are plenty of Lightroom 5 cracks to be found on the Internet.

However, I wouldn’t bother. Older versions of Lightroom are really obsolete. Programs like Luminar and ON1 are the same functionality and better, well supported and quite affordable. C1 appears to have caught up as well, but is a bit more expensive. I think it is a good idea to keep your filing system separate from your editing software.

I know I shouldn’t say so, but in this case...There are plenty of Lightroom 5 cracks to be found on the Internet.

However, I wouldn’t bother. Older versions of Lightroom are really obsolete. Programs like Luminar and ON1 are the same functionality and better, well supported and quite affordable. C1 appears to have caught up as well, but is a bit more expensive. I think it is a good idea to keep your filing system separate from your editing software.

I'm curious why you think this should be. Lightroom doesn't have a filing system separate from Windows. It just keeps track of the filing system you happen to be using yourself. It makes that filing system visible and allows you to manipulate it, but that's all. What's the risk? Or are you talking about keywording and filtering? l can see that some programs do it better than others, but that's all.