Plustek Scanners and SilverFast 8 Software

Martin B

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How about 65 Elmar and visoflex,  the real ones?

I thought of trying my 65 Elmar with the Leitz BEOON, not with my Visoflex III but with a Visoflex replacement 41mm extension tube I had made plus other extension tubes. I don't there is room between the carrier and the lens, even with the camera as high up as it will go on the pillar of the BEOON. I have used my Elmar 65 with a Novoflex bellows with the special LTM to Elmar 65 head adapters, made also by Novoflex (I have two of them, the common flat adapter and the very rare top hat shaped one). This was to copy slides from a lightbox, with the camera mounted on a side arm underneath a tripod. That is when I discovered the striping from my old Jessop light box due to insufficient diffusion of the 4 fluorescent tubes. It was not an easy or quick process as I hope the BEOON will be once I get the work flow correct. 

Wilson

This very morning I have done a number of tests with the BEOON and the 65mm Elmar. With the combination of the following extension tubing you will be able to take a photograph at about actual size: 

65mm Elmar+16464 (fully extended)+16471J+BEOON rings A+B+D. Rings A+B+C+D should work as well because you can retract the 16464 quite a bit. This combination works well within the BEOON's height. 

I could imagine even more nightmarish setups with additional extension tubing between the camera and the BEOON, but this won't be necessary for this application.

• Like 1

Philipp, 

Is the 16471J a 41mm extension tube to replace a Visoflex? My 41mm M to M extension tube is not a Leica one but one made by Amdeo Muscelli, the man who makes the Contax RF and Nikon RF lens to Leica M and LTM adapters. 

Wilson

Wilson,

The 16471J extends the lens by 26.3mm. I can't quite recall what is was meant for. It accepts the 65mm Elmar and has the same thread on the other end.

If you have the 16464, the full set of BEOON tubes and your 41mm one, I think you should be able to find an suitable extension.

Edit: The universal focusing mount 16464 and the Adapter Ring for Close-Up Focusing Range 16471 lets you use the 65mm Elmar, the 90mm Elmarit and the Tele-Elmar for close-up shooting with the Visoflex III without the bellows.

Philipp, 

I also have a set of 5 different Periflex L39 tubes of assorted lengths, so between all the different tubes I have and the BEOON adapters, I MUST have something that will work. 

Wilson

Philipp, 

I also have a set of 5 different Periflex L39 tubes of assorted lengths, so between all the different tubes I have and the BEOON adapters, I MUST have something that will work. 

Wilson

Right. 

What I only now thought about: knowing that the BEOON itself adds 8mm to the extension, you can find the appropriate set of rings without mounting the camera and the lens on the BEOON; use an 8mm ring instead. I presume you already know that the distance from the lens to the sensor must be 2 times the focal length for 1:1 shooting.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just a thought on scanning colour negatives with a camera. Do folks take a white balance off the orange tinted substrate of the film leader and then invert the resultant image? Alternatively use a fixed white balance say 5500ºK, invert and then correct the colour balance to allow for the tinted substrate, in post production? Some articles I have read recommend one method;others the alternative. My camera scans of negatives always seem to come out somewhat washed out looking and if I then start pulling up the saturation for various channels, then look very artificial.

That is what I tend to stick to taking colour reversal film rather than the wider latitude negative colour film. Vuescan and either my Epson V700 or Plustek 7400 do a much better job on the colours but sadly the film register is not very good on both of them resulting in soft images, hence the BEOON. 

Wilson

Guest Nowhereman

I've only shot 3 or 4 rolls on Portra400, which I digitalized on the BEOON and than ran through MakeTIFF (free software) and then opened in Photoshop in order to use the ColorPerfect plugin, which removes the orange and inverts the image. ColorPerfect has profiles for most color film that get you in the direction of the color correction for the film shot — I then complete then the color correction (to taste) in Lightroom. That last step can be done in ColorPerfect, but that plugin has an unintuitive user interface and also doesn't have a preview facility that is as good as Lightroom.