Firmware 1.6 available

Has anyone else noticed an increase in EVF/screen lag time after installing firmware 1.6?  I now consistently have a 2.5-3 second gap after making an exposure (in single mode) during which the EVF/screen remains frozen on the previous exposure (precluding accurate reframing or refocusing).  My T has never been super fast in this domain, but my sense is I am worse off after this firmware update, which aside from the app functionality, contributes nothing to my shooting experience, as I use only M lenses with the adapter.  Just curious if others have noticed this or have any advice for mitigating it.

Has anyone else noticed an increase in EVF/screen lag time after installing firmware 1.6?  I now consistently have a 2.5-3 second gap after making an exposure (in single mode) during which the EVF/screen remains frozen on the previous exposure (precluding accurate reframing or refocusing).  My T has never been super fast in this domain, but my sense is I am worse off after this firmware update, which aside from the app functionality, contributes nothing to my shooting experience, as I use only M lenses with the adapter.  Just curious if others have noticed this or have any advice for mitigating it.

What's your SD card make/brand and specification? 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1

What's your SD card make/brand and specification? 

dunk

A fair question.  I have an SDHC I SanDisk Extreme Pro that writes @ 95 Mb/s.   

For what it's worth, I notice no difference between writing to the card or to the camera's internal memory.  Nor does there appear to be a difference between writing DNG+JPG superfine at highest resolution and JPG only at the lowest resolution.

Edited by nocturnal1
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There is definitely a problem here with 1.6 when the camera is in manual focus mode. I tried the TL-35 lens in manual focus mode with a Sandisk Extreme Pro card and it is SLOW to write and the LCD freezes up during the write. Depressing the shutter halfway does nothing to refresh the LCD. You can continue to take shots - but you can't see what you are aiming at.

I know this was a problem before with M glass, but I don't recall having a problem with the T lenses in Manual mode before.

Leica - we need a fix please ASAP.

There is definitely a problem here with 1.6 when the camera is in manual focus mode. I tried the TL-35 lens in manual focus mode with a Sandisk Extreme Pro card and it is SLOW to write and the LCD freezes up during the write. Depressing the shutter halfway does nothing to refresh the LCD. You can continue to take shots - but you can't see what you are aiming at.

I know this was a problem before with M glass, but I don't recall having a problem with the T lenses in Manual mode before.

Leica - we need a fix please ASAP.

It was also a problem with T lenses in manual focus mode.

So it is all manual focus.

I haven't upgraded  to the new firmware yet.  This past weekend I tried a 90-280 SL lens on the T and it appeared to have the OIS functioning.  The sales rep and I both thought it looked smoother in the viewfinder.  The pictures though looked slightly blurred,  compared to the 55-135 T lens the images were less sharp.   Has anyone tried the SL lenses on the T?  What kind of results did you get? 

I did, in fact im using the SL 24-90 as my normal zoom lens when i go out to shoot some pictures. Sold my 18-56. the IQ is way better with the 24-90 compared to the 18-56

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I did, in fact im using the SL 24-90 as my normal zoom lens when i go out to shoot some pictures. Sold my 18-56. the IQ is way better with the 24-90 compared to the 18-56

I tried the 24-90 on the T today.  It was actually more balanced than I thought it would be...

I did find it a lot easier to lock focus with the T lenses than with the SL 24-90.

Is that also your experience?

• 2 weeks later...

Firmware 1.6.1 is available http://leicarumors.com/2017/01/12/firmware-updates-for-leica-t-1-6-1-and-leica-tl-2-11-released.aspx/

I wonder what us T users are missing from the TL exclusive firmware?

I am intrigued by that as well.  LR kind of combined 1.6 and 1.6.1.  1.6.1 only seems to solve the issues of the camera with the 60mm (which I don't own).  The performance improvements were already provided with 1.6.

I just upgraded but if you don't own the 60mm there is probably really no reason whatsoever to upgrade.

There's a new version for the T as well; they call it Version 1.61

Understood.  The question is: if the Leica T and TL are identical cameras (except for the internal memory) why are there two different versions of the firmware?

• Like 1

Both 1.61 for T, and 2.11 for TL, firmwares are for 60 mm, f/2.8.

My original question was if we can use the TL firmware on T camera?

I asked Leica in NJ, but haven't had any response yet!

As Joris mentioned, both cameras are the same, except for the interior memory. Therefore, my guess is there should not be a problem!

If TL firmware is giving more features or better functions than the T firmware; then, could we use it?...

Excellent point Louis. I attempted to install the TL firmware on my T and no go. This X-factor is the only thing that might cause me to consider the upgrade. If the advanced firmware created for TL only can get more out of essentially the same hardware, I'm interested. It would be good business on Leica's part.

They're two different camera models thus must have two different firmware requirements and must have built-in safeguards to prevent use of the other's firmware upgrades. If the two cameras had firmware compatibility there would be no need for  Leica to write / issue separate firmware upgrades. 

dunk