Capture One Pro

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been requesting Capture One support for the Monochrom Type 246 from Phase One for at least a year.  Today they indicated that they believe the delay has been that Leica has not provided them with a camera for purposes of developing the appropriate profiles etc.  Is anyone else interested in seeing official Capture One support for the Monochrom?  And if so, are you aware of any means for encouraging greater collaboration between Leica and Phase One in order to make this happen?  I realize there are issues between the two companies in the medium format world.  But they don't compete directly on M-type cameras, and there is C1 support for the M9 Monochrom and for the M 240.  So it seems like it should be possible to get the 246 supported.  Any suggestions about who to contact at Leica to try to make this happen?

I have also requested Capture One support the M246.  I also have the MD 262 and have asked for support of this too.  I was hoping that the release of version 10 would have support for these cameras.  

I emailed C1 in November offering them the loan of my MD 262 to create a profile.  They did reply to me saying the request will be passed onto the product manager and he will definitely take it into account.  I recall this was how the SL was supported - someone on this forum lent C1 a SL to create the supported profile. 

This morning I put in a support request for the M246 and the M262 (MD) with C1.  I said I was disappointed there was no support for these cameras in V10 of C1 and I would not be upgrading from V9 to V10 as there was no point.  Below is the response from C1 support...

"I would urge you to contact Leica and have them cooperate better with us. If they understand their users would like Capture One, maybe they would be more willing in providing us with cameras and the information we need in order to implement camera support."

Any ideas who to talk to at Leica?

Why should Leica provide cameras and knowledge to a (in the medium format) competing company?
Capture One should first be interested in getting their software up-to-date to keep it attractive to their paying customers, no matter what camera they use.
But before that they should learn to develop a logical work flow.
The sometimes slightly better results - compared to Lightroom and Photoshop - are achieved far too cumbersome.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It seems a bit perverse to attempt to use developing software for a camera which it doesn't support. I can understand people having irrational dislikes for things, e.g. Lightroom, but surely learning to get by with Lightroom is achievable; persuading Phase One may or may not be.

It seems a bit perverse to attempt to use developing software for a camera which it doesn't support. I can understand people having irrational dislikes for things, e.g. Lightroom, but surely learning to get by with Lightroom is achievable; persuading Phase One may or may not be.

It seems a bit perverse to sell a digital camera that produces raw files which need to be processed for best quality via a raw converter and do not provide the required profile for the two alternative leading raw converters. Actually it is ridiculous.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

It is hardly Leica's fault that those raw converters do not adhere to the full standard of DNG. It is even open-source. :rolleyes: Leica makes it easy for software developers by using an universal format.

As for camera profiles... Do you like the pre-cooked ones - for any (colour) camera? I have been preferring my own for donkey's years. After all, it is not rocket science.

Not that it would make much sense to tweak a camera profile for a black and white camera, The standard one is as good a starting point as any.

This morning I put in a support request for the M246 and the M262 (MD) with C1.  I said I was disappointed there was no support for these cameras in V10 of C1 and I would not be upgrading from V9 to V10 as there was no point.  Below is the response from C1 support...

"I would urge you to contact Leica and have them cooperate better with us. If they understand their users would like Capture One, maybe they would be more willing in providing us with cameras and the information we need in order to implement camera support."

It would be better if Leica and Phase One would talk to one another, which may be akward given the history of their relationship.

I find this attempt to use customer leverage to communicate with another company pathetic.

If a company is too stingy or too arrogant to rent, borrow or buy a camera to optimize their own software I can only find that ummm...unusual.

• Like 1

It would be better if Leica and Phase One would talk to one another, which may be akward given the history of their relationship.

I find this attempt to use customer leverage to communicate with another company pathetic.

I agree.  I was surprised when I got this response from Phase One.

• Like 1

As I posted above Capture One does support both of the monochrome bodies.  I prefer its results over the ones I get from Lightroom. 

This is not correct. The Monochome I DNG's get a generic profile - DNG File Neutral - and in such easy and common aspects like the meta data the lens information and diafragma are missing. 

I have switched a few years ago to Lightroom specifically for the Monochrome support. 

But I upgraded anyway to Capture One 10. Anyway. 

For the Monochhrome I have made an import adjustment, to get less sharpening (130, the M8 Soft Look version), reduce the luminance noise reduction (the output otherwise gives leathery results on for instance portraits). This makes it more in line with the Lightroom import. 

But indeed, I have once talked to Knud I think it was - with whom I took a course - about this lack of support and attention, and the way he waved it away confirmed that he seemed not favourable of Leica, underpinning my view that C1 and Leica still are fighting a corporate war. Those Danish are stubborn I think, but from a marketing perspective they should just focus on the lifetime value of this customer segment. And I agree with Jaap C1 that for their own business interest should do better and get theit act together. 

And I asked for a support on the MM with a support ticket at C1. Lets all do that. 

Suggested text, what I wrote is:

"Dear C1 staff, I would like to have native support for the Leica Monochrome version 1. It now has a generic Neutral DNG profile and there is a lack of a good import rendering; there is no optimised profile. Also I request proper support of the metadata coupling."
Edited by Alberti
  • Like 1

This is not correct. The Monochome I DNG's get a generic profile - DNG File Neutral - and in such easy and common aspects like the meta data the lens information and diafragma are missing. 

I have switched a few years ago to Lightroom specifically for the Monochrome support. 

There is a workaround and that is to use a dedicated importing app  to transfer your files from the camera, which will allow you to save and even edit the EXIF on import.

As for the generic profile, it is so easy to tweak, i.e. dial down sharpening. Colour profiling is obviously not applicable and Monochrom files have to be worked for contrast anyway. There is little a dedicated camera profile could add.

This is the latest reply I received from Phase One. I was requesting the MD262 and the M246 be supported.

"The guys at Leica already know our product managers, they know who to talk to. They just need to listen to you guys more, so they actually put more effort in the dialog with us. Currently they are very slow on providing us with cameras, lenses and information.."

I'm incorrect a lot - just ask my wife  :)

My installation of Capture One provides the full EXIF data including lens model and the gestimate of aperture with M-246 files.  The DNG File Neutral profile is the same profile C1 assigns to my (M9) Monochrom files, which Phase One lists as a supported camera.  I believe the C1 ICC profile is a color profile rather than a camera profile, since its menu allows selection of a variety of colorspaces other than a specific camera.  A color profile would not be appropriate for a monochrome image.

To add:

The reason for the missing (M9) Monochrom EXIF data in Capture One is because for some reason Leica placed it in the Makers Notes section of the metadata rather than the normal location where it resides on the other Leica bodies.  Lightroom apparently found it, which is why it is displayed in that program. Perhaps since Lightroom was  bundled with the Monochrom, Leica told Adobe where to look.

• 4 months later...

Capture One users with an M10, will be unamused to learn that the new version of C1, 10.1, just released today, still has no support for M10 files. This is not just a matter of the colour profile, where you can use the DNG neutral and then tweak to taste, saving it as your personal ICC profile for that camera, but as I understand it (I don't have an M10), that the import sub-window is not displaying the M10 DNG thumbnails. I don't think it is a contractual matter as Mark suggests above, I think it is more a case of the "tea cosies at dawn" spat continuing between Phase One and Leica. When I first used C1 around 13 years ago, I found Phase One very receptive, helpful and responsive to queries. Now they just seem like any other corporate and are pretty dismissive of customer complaints or queries and you just get the usual "blah, blah, blah corporate-speak" type of response. 

Wilson