zakzavada

Leica T Wedding/Event Photography

Shot many weddings?

Actually, only as a guest. Not my cup of tea. But if I wanted to go there I could easily. Usually do better than the hired photographer with his noisy non discrete SLR taking rapid photos hoping some of them turn out.

I agree a faster 'quiet' camera would be better and easier. But, not a necessity.

Actually, only as a guest. Not my cup of tea. But if I wanted to go there I could easily. Usually do better than the hired photographer with his noisy non discrete SLR taking rapid photos hoping some of them turn out.......

Of course you could.  Easily. 

That's the real problem.

Actually, only as a guest. Not my cup of tea. But if I wanted to go there I could easily. Usually do better than the hired photographer with his noisy non discrete SLR taking rapid photos hoping some of them turn out.

I agree a faster 'quiet' camera would be better and easier. But, not a necessity.

LOL

Hahahahahaha this is just so funny. Thanks for a good laugh - I appreciate it!!

You sadly have absolutely no idea of how a professional photographer works. There is a world of difference between photographing pretty flowers in your garden and photographing a wedding!

Yes before you ask - 1500 weddings since 1976. Originally on Rolleiflex and Hasselblad with Agfa 80S film then with Nikon F4's Nikon F5's to Nikon D3X's with the odd shot on Leica M9's then latterly Fuji XT-1's.

The bottom line - I would NEVER EVER turn up to a wedding with a Leica T. Nothing wrong with the T,  it's a good camera and the image quality is very good BUT it's not and never will be a wedding camera. It might just be OK for pulling out and taking the odd picture along with the main camera but as THE camera - NO WAY!!

Edited by paulmac

Wow, so many T haters up here! And, prejudiced. Oh well, I have a real life to live and better things to do today than argue with you. I DID NOT say, by the way, I WAS NOT A PROFESSIONAL!!! LAUGH at that. LOL!

Wow, so many T haters up here! And, prejudiced. Oh well, I have a real life to live and better things to do today than argue with you. I DID NOT say, by the way, I WAS NOT A PROFESSIONAL!!! LAUGH at that. LOL!

Nobody but nobody is hating the T - as I said in my post it's a good camera but you have to be realistic and understand that it's not a wedding camera.

You can take a picture at a wedding with ANY camera but at the end of the day the T is not designed for this. The T is made for an entirely different market and as such it is a very nice and innovative attempt to make a sleek modern camera with great image quality that will work well for it's intended use!

The Nikon D5 is a great news camera but I would not want to lug it around with all it's lenses as a travel camera - the Leica T would be far more suited to this and would produce just as good images.

It's all about choosing the right tool for the job and with respect you are trying to justify the ridiculous here and in so doing revealing yourself to be a lit lacking in knowledge of what it actually means to take on a PAID photographic job!

Edited by paulmac

You said you're not a wedding photographer, which is the subject of this thread, but you think you'd do better than any pro wedding photographer, with your T, which is a pretty conceited attitude to have.

So what kind of pro are you out of interest?

Do you use your T exclusively for your paid work?

And 'hater' is a strong term for someone who suggests that something might not be best suited to a particular job. Just because I wouldn't use a hammer to try to put a screw into something doesn't make me a hammer hater does it?

Edited by earleygallery

You said you're not a wedding photographer, which is the subject of this thread, but you think you'd do better than any pro wedding photographer, with your T, which is a pretty conceited attitude to have.

So what kind of pro are you out of interest?

Do you use your T exclusively for your paid work?

And 'hater' is a strong term for someone who suggests that something might not be best suited to a particular job. Just because I wouldn't use a hammer to try to put a screw into something doesn't make me a hammer hater does it?

For the most part, none of your business what I do as a photographer and as an 'Artist'. I sell my work. I don't choose to be open for hire. I don't need that income nor would I desire to do so. Am always amused at wedding photographers who think that being hired makes them superior to all other photographers. And, oh by the way, the T is not my only camera. I don't need to go down the list for someone like you who only hangs out on the T forum but doesn't own one.

For the most part, none of your business what I do as a photographer and as an 'Artist'. I sell my work. I don't choose to be open for hire. I don't need that income nor would I desire to do so. Am always amused at wedding photographers who think that being hired makes them superior to all other photographers. And, oh by the way, the T is not my only camera. I don't need to go down the list for someone like you who only hangs out on the T forum but doesn't own one.

I 'hang out' on the forum generally as I'm interested in all aspects of Leica. Not sure what you mean by 'someone like you' or what makes you think that any wedding photographers think themselves superior to others. Sounds like you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder.

You're right though, I don't own a T. I have something very similar which I use as a carry about camera and 'travelling light' camera, it's great for those purposes, but I know its limitations. Which goes back to the original point of this thread.

Billingham Bag Lady

Please don't take this as having a go at you and then feel that need to be defensive in reply as it's not meant in that way :-)

Wedding photography is an almost unique branch of photography that is perhaps like no other.

I started out as a wedding photographer as a 19yrs old in 1976. I worked for a studio where we exclusively used  Rolleiflexes and Hasselblads on of course 120 film - (Agfa 80s because it could be processed at 20 degrees).  Wedding photography was my "break' into professional photography and then again by another lucky break 25years ago I became a news photographer on a local paper.

I always though, did weddings to supplement this and recently added up that I have done some 1500 weddings in my time.

Throughout all this I learnt one thing and that is that the type of camera and it's operation is secondary to the task of interacting with the Bride and Groom and their guests - in other words camera skills have to be second knowledge  and intuitive because all the time you are thinking about so many things and pre-planning how you are going to handle the job to make the most of the often terrible photographic conditions whilst all the time keeping "your nerve" and staying calm!

On one occasion - snow was falling heavily and I only just got my car to the church. The groom had one arm and was really tall, the bride was Polish and couldn't speak English BUT I still had to deliver the goods because that is what I had been hired and paid to do - no excuses and no second chance. This is where you really need a camera with you that you can rely on and one that is above all else, versatile and easy to use with of course a back up preferably identical camera with flashes and back up for those too. 

With the greatest respect, a Leica T does not meet the criteria for a wedding camera primarily because it's not versatile enough with the use of flash or not really quick or easy enough to use. Image quality as with virtually any current digital camera would be fine.

The ability to use flash easily and without hassle is really important because at a wedding you have to be able to shoot in ANY condition no matter what, you HAVE to be able to get the picture. The ability to use an arsenal of lenses from extreme wides to telephoto is also a big advantage again because you just don't know what you are going to have to handle.

Example of these scenarios totally out of your control would be - It's raining and windy, so pictures outside are an impossibility. The Church has another wedding so you can't use the interior because the Vicar wants your wedding party out of the way in time for the next wedding arriving. The reception is a nice but very small and dark venue but you have to use this because there is nowhere else - cue Flash and Wides to get the pictures. 

As a wedding photographer everything conspires against you and you really have to problem solve all the time to get the job done. It's not for the faint hearted - I did it for nearly 40years but before every wedding I was always nervous and worried about what could go wrong. Once I had taken the first picture the nerves went and it was OK but beforehand it was always an emotional roller coaster.

I have called it a day now as I broke my ankle and can't walk and move about the same but truth be known primarily because I have had enough of the stress and worry. I never once had a disaster because I always checked and checked again that everything was OK and would always drive to and check out a new and unknown location and reception prior to the wedding so that I KNEW it and was familiar with any problems that it presented.

Don't be too harsh on wedding photographers because it's not an easy job and everything has to work first time and every time, there are NO excuses it has to be right and failure is too awful to even contemplate!

PS: My one moment of horror was when the strap of a Mamiya C330 that I was using decided to break and the camera fell to the ground and the back sprung open. I was lucky and got away with it because I had just changed film and didn't loose anything. The camera was a "right off" with the focus bellows knocked completely out of alignment - as always though I had a back up camera with me but was embarrassing as I had to continue as if nothing had happened!

Edited by paulmac

That’s a fascinating and convincing account of what it’s like to be a wedding photographer, Paul. And it’s a positive way of showing why some cameras are more suited to this particular challenge than others.

I much prefer to read this kind of thing than James’s unremitting negativity about Leica cameras which don’t suit his requirements. That gets tedious after a while.

I 'hang out' on the forum generally as I'm interested in all aspects of Leica. Not sure what you mean by 'someone like you' or what makes you think that any wedding photographers think themselves superior to others. Sounds like you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder.

You're right though, I don't own a T. I have something very similar which I use as a carry about camera and 'travelling light' camera, it's great for those purposes, but I know its limitations. Which goes back to the original point of this thread.

James, If anyone sounds as if they have a chip on their shoulder it's you; you have criticised the T and the SL (and their EVFs) so any times … e.g. calling the T a 'bling' camera, referring to its '(in your opinion) 'style over substance', saying that in YOUR opinion no professional would ever buy the SL .. etc etc … Some of us, especially those who know better because we've actually BOUGHT and USED  the cameras are more than a bit weary of your rather too dogmatic and often unjustified criticisms. You do Leica no favours with all your negativity. I wonder how many sales Leica have lost after forum visitors have read your comments? 

dunk

You STILL haven't answered the question Dunk!

As it happens there are a number of people I know who've bought into Leica because of my recommendation but I think I'm entitled to say if I dislike the design of the T or prefer a prism finder over an EVF.

You keep misquoting me too please stop doing that.

Anyway, back to that question....

Edited by earleygallery

You STILL haven't answered the question Dunk!

As it happens there are a number of people I know who've bought into Leica because of my recommendation but I think I'm entitled to say if I dislike the design of the T or prefer a prism finder over an EVF.

You keep misquoting me too please stop doing that.

Anyway, back to that question....

OK so you’re in denial of the following comments you made and which you claim I’ve misquoted: 

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/251998-leica-sl-survey-your-opinion/?p=2912241   … and please note that many pros did buy it …  including professionals on this forum  … and when there was only one lens available.

QED 

dunk 

OK so you’re in denial of the following comments you made and which you claim I’ve misquoted: 

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/251998-leica-sl-survey-your-opinion/?p=2912241   … and please note that many pros did buy it …  including professionals on this forum  … and when there was only one lens available.

QED 

dunk 

Merry Xmas Dunk, 

Thank you for reposting my comments and I stand by them all. 

Can you tell me what it is about a hand polished aluminium body that is better than a body that isn't had polished? Photographically or otherwise? That gimmick was aimed to appeal to people buying a piece of bling - more interested in what it looks ilke than what it can do. 

As for pro's buying the SL yes some here have and that's not what I meant. I'm talking about committed Nikon/Canon users switching to the SL. I was at a major sporting event yesterday. Did I see anyone using an SL? No I didn't. That's what I'm talking about. Not a Leica using pro adding an SL to their kit list. 

A pro system, for the market the SL is aimed at, must have a strong line up of lenses including fast zooms and primes. The SL may get there, but it's not there yet. 

I don't know why your apparently taking my comments about these camera systems so personally. The T is essentially capable of excellent results - as I've said elsewhere. I have suggested it as the ideal camera to some on here also. But is it the best that Leica could have done or could do for an APS-C system? Not by a very long shot. 

The SL is a much much better designed camera, and an exciting departure for Leica. Apart from the issue of preference of EVF v optical finders, the key issue with the SL is the lenses (by that I mean native SL lenses). I know many here have bought it to use with their M and R lenses and again I've said in that sense it makes a great 'digital back' for someone with a range of different system lenses plus the benefit of some AF lenses, but it's not going to compete with the top Canon/Nikon cameras for the pro market. As one pro has voiced on here, the SL's AF simply cannot cope in situations that his Nikon handles easily. That's surely an issue for anyone hoping to use the SL for similar purposes. 

And, Dunk, you STILL didn't answer my question, LOL. 

Edited by earleygallery

You continue to criticise Leica digital cameras as if you are the world authority on the subject. 

And when others attempt to redress the balance you continue to repeat your derogatory opinions … even though you have no practical experience of using current Leica digital cameras in real-time situations. 

i prefer to read reviews written by those who have used the cameras and who recognise and appreciate those cameras' capabilities. 

I'm also a T and SL owner/user. 

I just hope that new forum members have the common sense to form their own opinions and try the cameras themselves … rather than relying on 'tyre kicker' comments. 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

You continue to criticise Leica digital cameras as if you are the world authority on the subject. 

And when others attempt to redress the balance you continue to repeat your derogatory opinions … even though you have no practical experience of using current Leica digital cameras in real-time situations. 

i prefer to read reviews written by those who have used the cameras and who recognise and appreciate those cameras' capabilities. 

I'm also a T and SL owner/user. 

I just hope that new forum members have the common sense to form their own opinions and try the cameras themselves … rather than relying on 'tyre kicker' comments. 

dunk

And you continue to rubbish my comments as though YOU are THE WORLD AUTHORITY on the subject. You fail to see your own hypocrisy. 

I also hope that new forum members can form their own opinions. You however only seem to want to allow people to agree with YOUR opinions. 

I'm glad the T/SL work for you. But don't assume that means they work for everyone else. 

Happy New Year James and look forward to reading all your expert comments in 2017

You seem to be ignoring the opinions of nearly all those forum member SL and TL owners and users who are very pleased with their cameras … including the fast AF.

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire