zakzavada

Leica T Wedding/Event Photography

Comments in this thread stating that the T's focus is too slow and the EVF 'mediocre' : … Have these commentators actually USED the camera themselves for any length of time? And have they used it since the latest firmware update? I used my T last night, at night in illuminated streets, and the focus was instantaneous with the 23mm T Summicron ... and the EVF was superb. I'd use the T for any event photography.  And I've used it in total darkness with flash and obtained good results. 

My experience of the T is from when it came out and from the experience of others since. I liked the form factor but not the performance. Sounds like it's worth a look again, especially if prices are coming down.

Far too much prejudice against the T within TLF by the expert Leica diplomats (not) who have never used it, who have failed to to take notice of T firmware improvements, who seldom post any any Leica images themselves, and who obsessively 'poo poo' newly introduced Leica digital cameras … as if it's their mission in life. And unfortunately some of the 'the pack' appear to believe all they say. And that's one reason why the wonderful XV initially met with such hostility. 

Look through the 'Post your T shots …' thread to witness what the camera is capable of http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/226003-post-your-t-shots-here/page-106   … similarly with the XV http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/206939-leica-x-vario-photos/page-56

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

I know three experienced wedding photographers using quite old Nikon 300S APS-C DSLRs which have fewer MP than the Leica T and a more limited ISO range … and they earn their living using their cameras. 

dunk 

Dunk,

You appear to have misunderstood the question.

Nobody is saying that the T image quality isn't good enough - you state that you know of pro wedding photographers who use APS-C DSLR's (so do I as it happens) but do you know any who use a Leica T ? I don't think Leica ever intended the T to be considered for such use either.

The issues are speed of operation / focus and flash photography which is often necessary at weddings.

The DSLR will easily outperform the T especially in a pressure driven environment of a wedding where you have a once only split second chance to get 'the' shot. The pro wedding photographer might also find themselves somewhat limited by the lack of a hotshoe for flash assuming they'd want to use a viewfinder rather than the rear LCD for composing/framing.

Think again, you're being paid to cover a wedding, you don't know if the weather is going to be dry or wet, you might be forced to somehow get all the photos indoors. Yet you MUST turn out a full album of photos at the end of the day and your reputation is at stake if not. Are you really going to choose the T as your preferred camera for the job?

Dunk,

Nobody is saying that the T image quality isn't good enough - you state that you know of pro wedding photographers who use APS-C DSLR's (so do I as it happens) but do you know any who use a Leica T ? I don't think Leica ever intended the T to be considered for such use either.

The issues are speed of operation / focus and flash photography which is often necessary at weddings.

The DSLR will easily outperform the T especially in a pressure driven environment of a wedding where you have a once only split second chance to get 'the' shot. The pro wedding photographer might also find themselves somewhat limited by the lack of a hotshoe for flash assuming they'd want to use a viewfinder rather than the rear LCD for composing/framing.

Think again, you're being paid to cover a wedding, you don't know if the weather is going to be dry or wet, you might be forced to somehow get all the photos indoors. Yet you MUST turn out a full album of photos at the end of the day and your reputation is at stake if not. Are you really going to choose the T as your preferred camera for the job?

There is a method (more than one) of using a non-Leica (or Leica)  external, automatic, pro quality flash with the T - whilst at the same time using the T EVF.  I might try and rig up one of my Quantum flash units to illustrate how it can be achieved. Just requires a little ingenuity and a willingness to experiment by designing & making a small gadget. 

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

There is a method (more than one) of using a non-Leica (or Leica)  external, automatic, pro quality flash with the T - whilst at the same time using the T EVF.  I might try and rig up one of my Quantum flash units to illustrate how it can be achieved. Just requires a little ingenuity and a willingness to experiment by designing & making a small gadget. 

dunk 

Again you're missing the point of the OP's query. You'd really fiddle about like that whilst covering a wedding as the paid photographer?

You didn't answer my question - would you honestly choose the T if you were a pro wedding photographer?

The OP's original question was: 

Has anyone ever tried to photograph an event/wedding with a Leica T (TL)? 

​… not many have … but it is possible … and note the OP's question includes 'event' photography. 

​The T should not be dismissed as a 'piece of bling' … as someone once described it. 

dunk 

Dunk,

not a problem for me, i'm a paid photographer for weddings, so far my I didn't find T autofocus as a problem. Have you try the FW 1.6? In fact, for my latest client I don't even have the space for all the photos to put in the album as it is too much.

The OP's original question was: 

Has anyone ever tried to photograph an event/wedding with a Leica T (TL)? 

​… not many have … but it is possible … and note the OP's question includes 'event' photography. 

​The T should not be dismissed as a 'piece of bling' … as someone once described it. 

dunk 

Come on Dunk, don't play games. The OP's question is;

"Has anyone ever tried to photograph an event/wedding with a Leica T (TL)? I am currently using a combination of Canon 5d3 and Leica Q to shoot professionally. I'm hoping to to move away from SLR's but feel that autofocus is a must. Curious to hear opinions".

Again, can you answer my question - would you honestly choose the T if you were a pro wedding photographer?

not a problem for me, i'm a paid photographer for weddings, so far my I didn't find T autofocus as a problem. Have you try the FW 1.6? In fact, for my latest client I don't even have the space for all the photos to put in the album as it is too much.

Really, you use just the T system as a pro wedding photographer?

I'd be interested to see your website, do you have a link you can post?

hmm, I disagree that the T/TL camera have a limited lens options. You can use the R lenses, M Lenses, SL Lenses, TL Lenses which covers from 16-600mm.

Do you seriously think turning up to photograph a wedding with that stuff would be a good idea?

Guest VVJ

hmm, I disagree that the T/TL camera have a limited lens options. You can use the R lenses, M Lenses, SL Lenses, TL Lenses which covers from 16-600mm.

I have a slightly different take on this.

In the beginning of 2015 I switched from Fuji to Leica T.  If I would have known that Leica would limit itself to 6 native lenses... I might not have made that switch...

Also for Fuji, Sony and other mirrorless systems there are loads of adapters...  It is hardly unique to Leica.

I don't share the Leica product strategy of seeing an APS-C system only as a complementary system to other systems.... and the ability to sell an additional body plus adapters...

IMO if they want to be present in that market space they should go all the way and try to make the best APS-C system possible with a full and complete lens line-up.

Just my personal opinion.  I appreciate that there are a lot of people who think differently.

......In the beginning of 2015 I switched from Fuji to Leica T.  If I would have known that Leica would limit itself to 6 native lenses... I might not have made that switch....

I resisted the initial mass migration by wedding photographers to Fuji as I did not feel that the XT-1 and XPro-1 were good enough cameras, although I have been using an X100T at weddings and preshoots alongside my Nikons for the past 18 months. The XT-2 is a significant step forward by Fuji and the time is now right for me to leave Nikon behind

Sorry to say I don't think your decision to switch from Fuji X to Leica T for wedding photography was a very sensible move. Of the 5 native T lenses, only one of them is really suitable for wedding photography, where Fuji have strength in depth with a number of exceptional lenses in their range. The T is intended for a different kind of user. Leica's dismal service record and lack of professional support firmly removes them from the game for my purposes. Of course there are wedding photographers who do use Leica cameras and use them very well, but they are in a very tiny minority.

Threads like this always amuse me, they are littered with keyboard experts whose experience of wedding photography is limited to sneaking a shot or two over the official photographer's shoulder and insecure people who cannot cope with any suggestion that their pet camera isn't good enough for this type of work. I don't necessarily include you with those as I get the impression you actually do photograph weddings regularly, but I do think that for regular wedding photography commissions you made the wrong choice of camera with the Leica T.

Think we all got lost in the weeds on this subject. My original response agreed that the T was not a good choice for a wedding. But, you know, a good photographer anticipates what is going to happen and is ready. The need for a faster camera is a little over blown. Certainly the IQ of the T would be fine. One just needs to take in account as they shoot there will be a longer delay between shots and work with it. I personally, if in this situation and decided to use the T, would go for my M lenses on it and would be fine. But, that takes practice. The quickness of modern cameras that can rapid focus and fire, is not a necessity in the right hands. However, it sure helps to have a faster camera like the Q or SL.

One just needs to take in account as they shoot there will be a longer delay between shots and work with it.

The photographer could maybe ask the bride to walk really slowly down the aisle, maybe slip the organist a few quid and ask him to play the funeral march by 'accident' ?

I have shot quite a number of weddings in the past with my Bronica system. That's probably slower than a T but times have changed and the current trend is very much for the reportage style of wedding photography where speed is of the essence. If you missed some crucial shots because your T wasn't fast enough I don't think any excuses would wash with the clients.

The photographer could maybe ask the bride to walk really slowly down the aisle, maybe slip the organist a few quid and ask him to play the funeral march by 'accident' ?

I have shot quite a number of weddings in the past with my Bronica system. That's probably slower than a T but times have changed and the current trend is very much for the reportage style of wedding photography where speed is of the essence. If you missed some crucial shots because your T wasn't fast enough I don't think any excuses would wash with the clients.

If you missed the crucial shots, probably not the right person for the job in that case. Can't always blame the camera. It is a matter of being in the right place and being ready. Can miss it even with fast camera systems. It won't help if taking 20 frames a second and the camera cuts off their heads!

If you missed the crucial shots, probably not the right person for the job in that case. Can't always blame the camera. It is a matter of being in the right place and being ready. Can miss it even with fast camera systems. It won't help if taking 20 frames a second and the camera cuts off their heads!

Shot many weddings?