Leica T Wedding/Event Photography

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Shot many weddings?

Actually, only as a guest. Not my cup of tea. But if I wanted to go there I could easily. Usually do better than the hired photographer with his noisy non discrete SLR taking rapid photos hoping some of them turn out.

I agree a faster 'quiet' camera would be better and easier. But, not a necessity.

Actually, only as a guest. Not my cup of tea. But if I wanted to go there I could easily. Usually do better than the hired photographer with his noisy non discrete SLR taking rapid photos hoping some of them turn out.......

Of course you could.  Easily. 

That's the real problem. :D

• Like 2

Actually, only as a guest. Not my cup of tea. But if I wanted to go there I could easily. Usually do better than the hired photographer with his noisy non discrete SLR taking rapid photos hoping some of them turn out.

I agree a faster 'quiet' camera would be better and easier. But, not a necessity.

LOL

• Like 1

Wow, so many T haters up here! And, prejudiced. Oh well, I have a real life to live and better things to do today than argue with you. I DID NOT say, by the way, I WAS NOT A PROFESSIONAL!!! LAUGH at that. LOL!

You said you're not a wedding photographer, which is the subject of this thread, but you think you'd do better than any pro wedding photographer, with your T, which is a pretty conceited attitude to have.

So what kind of pro are you out of interest?

Do you use your T exclusively for your paid work?

And 'hater' is a strong term for someone who suggests that something might not be best suited to a particular job. Just because I wouldn't use a hammer to try to put a screw into something doesn't make me a hammer hater does it?

Edited by earleygallery
  • Like 1

You said you're not a wedding photographer, which is the subject of this thread, but you think you'd do better than any pro wedding photographer, with your T, which is a pretty conceited attitude to have.

So what kind of pro are you out of interest?

Do you use your T exclusively for your paid work?

And 'hater' is a strong term for someone who suggests that something might not be best suited to a particular job. Just because I wouldn't use a hammer to try to put a screw into something doesn't make me a hammer hater does it?

For the most part, none of your business what I do as a photographer and as an 'Artist'. I sell my work. I don't choose to be open for hire. I don't need that income nor would I desire to do so. Am always amused at wedding photographers who think that being hired makes them superior to all other photographers. And, oh by the way, the T is not my only camera. I don't need to go down the list for someone like you who only hangs out on the T forum but doesn't own one.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For the most part, none of your business what I do as a photographer and as an 'Artist'. I sell my work. I don't choose to be open for hire. I don't need that income nor would I desire to do so. Am always amused at wedding photographers who think that being hired makes them superior to all other photographers. And, oh by the way, the T is not my only camera. I don't need to go down the list for someone like you who only hangs out on the T forum but doesn't own one.

I 'hang out' on the forum generally as I'm interested in all aspects of Leica. Not sure what you mean by 'someone like you' or what makes you think that any wedding photographers think themselves superior to others. Sounds like you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder.

You're right though, I don't own a T. I have something very similar which I use as a carry about camera and 'travelling light' camera, it's great for those purposes, but I know its limitations. Which goes back to the original point of this thread.

• Like 2

That’s a fascinating and convincing account of what it’s like to be a wedding photographer, Paul. And it’s a positive way of showing why some cameras are more suited to this particular challenge than others.

I much prefer to read this kind of thing than James’s unremitting negativity about Leica cameras which don’t suit his requirements. That gets tedious after a while.

• Like 2

I 'hang out' on the forum generally as I'm interested in all aspects of Leica. Not sure what you mean by 'someone like you' or what makes you think that any wedding photographers think themselves superior to others. Sounds like you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder.

You're right though, I don't own a T. I have something very similar which I use as a carry about camera and 'travelling light' camera, it's great for those purposes, but I know its limitations. Which goes back to the original point of this thread.

James, If anyone sounds as if they have a chip on their shoulder it's you; you have criticised the T and the SL (and their EVFs) so any times … e.g. calling the T a 'bling' camera, referring to its '(in your opinion) 'style over substance', saying that in YOUR opinion no professional would ever buy the SL .. etc etc … Some of us, especially those who know better because we've actually BOUGHT and USED  the cameras are more than a bit weary of your rather too dogmatic and often unjustified criticisms. You do Leica no favours with all your negativity. I wonder how many sales Leica have lost after forum visitors have read your comments? 

dunk

• Like 2

You STILL haven't answered the question Dunk!

As it happens there are a number of people I know who've bought into Leica because of my recommendation but I think I'm entitled to say if I dislike the design of the T or prefer a prism finder over an EVF.

You keep misquoting me too please stop doing that.

Anyway, back to that question....

Edited by earleygallery

You STILL haven't answered the question Dunk!

As it happens there are a number of people I know who've bought into Leica because of my recommendation but I think I'm entitled to say if I dislike the design of the T or prefer a prism finder over an EVF.

You keep misquoting me too please stop doing that.

Anyway, back to that question....

OK so you’re in denial of the following comments you made and which you claim I’ve misquoted: 

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/251998-leica-sl-survey-your-opinion/?p=2912241   … and please note that many pros did buy it …  including professionals on this forum  … and when there was only one lens available.

QED 

dunk 

• 2 weeks later...

OK so you’re in denial of the following comments you made and which you claim I’ve misquoted: 

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/251998-leica-sl-survey-your-opinion/?p=2912241   … and please note that many pros did buy it …  including professionals on this forum  … and when there was only one lens available.

QED 

dunk 

Merry Xmas Dunk, 

Thank you for reposting my comments and I stand by them all. 

Can you tell me what it is about a hand polished aluminium body that is better than a body that isn't had polished? Photographically or otherwise? That gimmick was aimed to appeal to people buying a piece of bling - more interested in what it looks ilke than what it can do. 

As for pro's buying the SL yes some here have and that's not what I meant. I'm talking about committed Nikon/Canon users switching to the SL. I was at a major sporting event yesterday. Did I see anyone using an SL? No I didn't. That's what I'm talking about. Not a Leica using pro adding an SL to their kit list. 

A pro system, for the market the SL is aimed at, must have a strong line up of lenses including fast zooms and primes. The SL may get there, but it's not there yet. 

I don't know why your apparently taking my comments about these camera systems so personally. The T is essentially capable of excellent results - as I've said elsewhere. I have suggested it as the ideal camera to some on here also. But is it the best that Leica could have done or could do for an APS-C system? Not by a very long shot. 

The SL is a much much better designed camera, and an exciting departure for Leica. Apart from the issue of preference of EVF v optical finders, the key issue with the SL is the lenses (by that I mean native SL lenses). I know many here have bought it to use with their M and R lenses and again I've said in that sense it makes a great 'digital back' for someone with a range of different system lenses plus the benefit of some AF lenses, but it's not going to compete with the top Canon/Nikon cameras for the pro market. As one pro has voiced on here, the SL's AF simply cannot cope in situations that his Nikon handles easily. That's surely an issue for anyone hoping to use the SL for similar purposes. 

And, Dunk, you STILL didn't answer my question, LOL. 

Edited by earleygallery
  • Like 1

You continue to criticise Leica digital cameras as if you are the world authority on the subject. 

And when others attempt to redress the balance you continue to repeat your derogatory opinions … even though you have no practical experience of using current Leica digital cameras in real-time situations. 

i prefer to read reviews written by those who have used the cameras and who recognise and appreciate those cameras' capabilities. 

I'm also a T and SL owner/user. 

I just hope that new forum members have the common sense to form their own opinions and try the cameras themselves … rather than relying on 'tyre kicker' comments. 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

You continue to criticise Leica digital cameras as if you are the world authority on the subject. 

And when others attempt to redress the balance you continue to repeat your derogatory opinions … even though you have no practical experience of using current Leica digital cameras in real-time situations. 

i prefer to read reviews written by those who have used the cameras and who recognise and appreciate those cameras' capabilities. 

I'm also a T and SL owner/user. 

I just hope that new forum members have the common sense to form their own opinions and try the cameras themselves … rather than relying on 'tyre kicker' comments. 

dunk

And you continue to rubbish my comments as though YOU are THE WORLD AUTHORITY on the subject. You fail to see your own hypocrisy. 

I also hope that new forum members can form their own opinions. You however only seem to want to allow people to agree with YOUR opinions. 

I'm glad the T/SL work for you. But don't assume that means they work for everyone else. 

Happy New Year James and look forward to reading all your expert comments in 2017 :)

You seem to be ignoring the opinions of nearly all those forum member SL and TL owners and users who are very pleased with their cameras … including the fast AF.

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

Gentlemen, please. These are just camera systems. Any member is free to post an opinion on them, whether that is a positive or a negative.

An explanation of the reasons not to buy/like any given camera is not to be taken as criticism of those who like/bought the gear.

• Like 3

WOW! I have just stumbled into this thread. I can't believe the BS that is raging. Really, does anyone really know what they they are saying.

I do have to say that paulmac has really nailed it. His description is my experience EXACTLY, when it comes to wedding photography. I think I can claim more years of experience at it than him, but that is immaterial. His comments nail it.

It is not the camera you have , but how you use it. Most of my weddings were shot on Hasselblad, not because they shot better pictures, but because I 'felt good' using them. If I felt good, I performed better. Psychology. Latterly, I used Leica M's to shoot weddings, because my style of shooting changed. The M's 'guided' my style, but it was still me doing it. I feel good using Leicas too.

I am not familiar with Leica T cams but if push came to shove, I reckon I could shoot any assignment with any camera. Of course, I know only too well that the right tool for the job is easier than any other if you can choose.

Cameras are very personal tools and declaring that this one is better for that job than another is a declaration of naivety, or even ignorance. So express your opinions, but remember that that is all they are. :)

• Like 9

• 5 months later...

Has anyone ever tried to photograph an top Photography For Events/wedding with a Leica T (TL)? 

I am currently using a combination of Canon 5d3 and Leica Q to shoot professionally. I'm hoping to to move away from SLR's but feel that autofocus is a must. Curious to hear opinions.

Hello,

The choice of cameras are so good they have the feature of taking pictures at wide angle and have up to 32X zoom. I also have a Canon EOS 1300D one of the best cameras that I ever used. I think you should this camera at least once....

WOW! I have just stumbled into this thread. I can't believe the BS that is raging. Really, does anyone really know what they they are saying.

I do have to say that paulmac has really nailed it. His description is my experience EXACTLY, when it comes to wedding photography. I think I can claim more years of experience at it than him, but that is immaterial. His comments nail it.

It is not the camera you have , but how you use it. Most of my weddings were shot on Hasselblad, not because they shot better pictures, but because I 'felt good' using them. If I felt good, I performed better. Psychology. Latterly, I used Leica M's to shoot weddings, because my style of shooting changed. The M's 'guided' my style, but it was still me doing it. I feel good using Leicas too.

I am not familiar with Leica T cams but if push came to shove, I reckon I could shoot any assignment with any camera. Of course, I know only too well that the right tool for the job is easier than any other if you can choose.

Cameras are very personal tools and declaring that this one is better for that job than another is a declaration of naivety, or even ignorance. So express your opinions, but remember that that is all they are. :)

Fully agreed with this.

If the camera I own at the certain point in time is an M, it will be an M at an event or wedding. The senses of pre-empting and anticipating will be turned on full blast because as a photographer, you are well aware of the fantastic IQ but yet the technical limitations of the tool and yet you felt good using that equipment hence you bought it.  

• Like 2