Recommendations for a 50f1.4 or faster

ktmrider2

Well, as of today I have decided to use my current 50 (current version of the Summicron in chrome) for awhile longer.  I already have too many M mount lenses.  I know there are people here who have many more then I including duplicates in each focal length but I prefer to have only one lens in each focal length.  If I need something faster then f2, I will use my 35f1.2 and take a couple steps closer or crop.  Thanks for the comments.

• Like 4

Get a 50 Lux asph. You can pick one up used for under 3k us in mint shape. Enjoy the most incredible versatile lens ever made for the M . And it will never lose its value. Money in the bank

Yeah, sure. Money in the bank.

Like the 28 summicron that was 3000$, then 2500, then 2000$ and now $1500-ish money in the bank?

• Like 2

I would still echo the others' sentiments about the 50 Lux ASPH. I sold it to finance a 50 APO, and however spectacular the 50 APO was, I missed the look of the Lux... Out the APO went, in came back the Lux.

Having the 1.4/50 Summilux I bought the APO-50 at a too-good-to-ignore price.  However I hung on to the Summilux. The APO-50 is a spectacular lens which I appreciate more with use.  I'm still very glad I've kept the Summilux even though it gets less use nowadays.

I did the same thing with my 2.0/75 Summicron when I bought a 1/4/75 Summilux.

I have too many lenses  :rolleyes:

Edited by MarkP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I received my MS Optical 50mm 1.1 Sonnetar about a week ago. My lens is in LTM mount but the lens is availagle- and, from What I see, generally less expensive- in M mount. I am not qualified to evaluate technical quality of a lens beyond whether or not it produces a pleasing image. The Sonnetar is producing some very pleasing images. Far and away, it presents the greatest advantage in size and weight. I have used the 50mm 1.2 Voigtlander, and I own the Canon 50mm 1.2 in LTM. The Sonnetar seems to produce images that are the equal, if not better than, both of those lenses. From a size and weight standpoint, it is much better than the Voigtlander; from a size standpoint it bests the Canon.

• Like 1

If you want the best, it costs real money. That's a simple fact of life (although not always true, in this case, it absolutely is).

So many people spend so long trying to find a cheap way out of buying what they really want/need and eventually, reluctantly, end up with the very thing they should have bought in the first place... it just costs far more to go the long way round.

The only frustration you will have then is not having done it sooner.

If you can really afford it, do it.

If you can't, despite what you said earlier, then fair enough. I'm sure others can add further suggestions for the next best alternative.

But if you can, but won't out of pure bloody-mindedness, then there is nothing more any of us can add to this thread.

• Like 1

I would still echo the others' sentiments about the 50 Lux ASPH. I sold it to finance a 50 APO, and however spectacular the 50 APO was, I missed the look of the Lux... Out the APO went, in came back the Lux.

I learned it even the harder (more expensive) way: Bought the Lux. Was very happy. Still sold it to finance the Nocti. Liked it but missed the Lux. Got tired of the Nocti after a year. Sold it to finance the APO. Liked it. Still missed the Lux after two more years. So bought the Lux again about half a year ago. Now have both: The Lux and the Apo. The Lux gets 90 percent of the use.

• Like 1

Recently I was hunting for a 50 Lux ASPH and here is a word of warning. I went for the cheapest I could find and now it is with Leica NJ for calibration and impact damage repair. I wish I went for a certified pre-owned one for three hundred bucks more.

Again, I can afford it but photography or Leicas are not the burning passions in my life.  I would rather put the money toward travel or climbing.  Have a motorcycle trip from US to Tierra del Fuego this spring and a film M with a couple lenses will be going along in the tank bag.  I do not believe a 50f1.4 ASPH will greatly improve the quality of the trip or even the quality of the photos.  My photography is simply not that good or that much of a passion.

As I said before, to each his own.

• Like 1

An interesting thread. The op seems to have up his mind. But just to share my experiences. The 50f2 is a lens I've had for many years. I sold it when I went digital in 2008 with the M8. Having got a full frame camera last year I wanted a 50. I found a very cheap example in London- £600 with a uv filter. It was a steal. But I never really loved it. I took it to Australia for a four month trip but barely used it. I got home I was lusting after a 'lux. I like the 35/1.4... especially on film. Then I picked up a good value 'lux. It's. A total dream. Seriously... and on the M8 I'm struggling to see the point in shoot film. The pairing is very nice. It takes no prisoners, but I'm really enjoying the results it produces.

But you don't want one so don't worry ;-)

2d2c69000bff33961745275486f92711.jpg

• Like 5

Again, the thing about money sounds like"my engagement ring is better then yours cause it cost more."  And my comment about jewelry still applies.

I could not care less about jewelry but facts remain facts and i've never used a better compact 50/1.4 than the current Summilux-M actually. YMMV.

• Like 5