Is the Leica SL doomed?

jrp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It all hinges on processing ........ enough power to shift the pixels but low enough power consumption to prevent overheating and giving decent battery life.

That means a Maestro III processor which inevitable will appear in the S and then trickle down into SL, M, TL and CL. 

Unlike the S, you need high EVF, readout and processing rates to keep the SL up to the current specs so it will have to be a quantum upgrade. 

If we are very lucky an SL2 may appear at the end of this year ....... but more realistically in 2019.

Personally, I'm not sure where the pixel race goes beyond 54mpx or so, which is still only a 50% increase in linear resolution....... for 'normal' photographers it is well beyond what they actually need to take good images, even for large print sizes......

• Like 4

I have a current, top-of-the-line notebook that I use with an external monitor and keyboard for image editing. Having worked in Lightroom and Photoshop with both 24 megapixel and 48 megapixel files, I’m not looking forward to an SL2 if the megapixel count goes much above 36. Slows down the workflow too much. And I honestly can’t switch over to a desktop without major inconvenience because of the nature of my work.

There is a lot to look forward to in an SL2, but greater megapixels is already the least of my concerns. Others with different requirements may disagree.

• Like 2

If you look at lead times on Leica cameras, I don’t thin we’ll see an SL2 before 2020. More lenses, yes - new camera? No. I don’t see the point.

New S? Yes, then trickle down. Things move slowly in Leica land, and more MP isn’t seen as a driver for them.

Yes, true.

On the SL2 not appearing before 2020, it could be. It is unlikely that Leica will release the S008 and the SL2 in the same year.

I’m still trying square TowerJazz‘s announcement: “October 30, 2017 — TowerJazz the global specialty foundry leader, announced today a partnership with Changchun Changguang Yuanchen Microelectronics Technology Inc. (YCM), a BSI process manufacturer for backside illumination (BSI) manufacturing in Changchun, China to provide the BSI process segment for CMOS image sensor (CIS) wafers manufactured by TowerJazz. This partnership will allow TowerJazz to serve its worldwide customers with advanced BSI technology in mass production, at competitive prices, starting in the middle of 2018.” And what I was told about a FF Leica likely to be announced at this year’s Photokina. The only one that makes sense from a timing perspective is the Q2. It’s well established that the Q features a TowerJazz sensor which then trickled “down” to the SL. And 40 MPx would be perfect for a camera with a 28 mm fixed focal length lens. Users who crop to 35 mm and 50 mm have been clamoring for it.

Edited by Chaemono

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The only thing that I would really like from an SL2 is better dynamic range. The system has improved markedly since the M8/9 but there is still room for improvement. Beyond that, getting the flash system working would be a benefit for those that don’t use flashes regularly enough to make a manual / metered approach in studio adequate. Otherwise, it’s only getting some more practical lenses out would be fantastic (the zooms, with OIS, make the summicrons a marginal purchase; the Summilux is close to perfection optically but the focus speed and bulk make it hard to love completely).

• Like 1

That's a myth, it was true only with the mk1 model.

Today they have a lifespan of 2.5-3 years...

I agree they have a longer lifespan for sure, but pressure to replace fully useful equipment with new offers occur relatively frequently. Seems about every 2 years now to me (a7S, a7, and now a7R2 in my stable, but I have no need/desire for newest. Had the a7S modified for astro work and use with Halpha filter, gave the a7 to grandson to use, and pretty much replaced the a7R2 use with D850 and SL). Very happy with my SL now, but will probably purchase an SL2 after it comes out, as want to have 2 bodies during travels. Will take updated features, but currently I don't feel any need for more. Obviously, others do have a need.

• Like 1

With 3.1, the 50 Summilux-SL is actually quite snappy. In my testing, I found it faster to fix focus than the 24-90. In low light, it also performs very well.

My testing (tracking) got curtailed.

Interesting - I am still finding the zoom faster, although the 50 is much improved. On the CL the 50 is still it’s slow old self, so comparing was instructive on just how much the firmware has improved it.