Which Lens Would You Get - Going to Thailand

Scenictraverse

Advertisement (gone after registration)

FWIW - I spent a year in Thailand (July '71 to Aug '72) at Udorn, Ubon, Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Pattia, etc. It was film in those days. I had an M4 with a  50 Chron,  and with a brand new 35 Chron Mk III that my wife shipped over to me.. Almost all my subsequent photos were with the 35 on transparencies. Loved that lens; however, there were several times, especially in Bangkok, that I could have used either a 21 or a 24.  

• Like 1

Very good decision to make a trip to Thailand. Great people, great country!

In 4 weeks of my trip to Thailand in 2013 I felt fine with M9, 2.8/21 Asph., 1.4/35 Asph., 2/50, Apo 2/90 Asph. and didn't miss anything else.

Of course! With a 21, 35, 50, and 90 what is there to miss with an M!

• Like 1

I have a MATE and use it regularly. However for my next trip (India 2017) I'll be taking a WATE, 24, 35 and 75. The MATE is good at 28, very good at 35 and better again at 50. For a trip that's possibly once in a lifetime I want better than that. I think all the primes are better than the MATE and worth the inconvenience.

However my usage will be a bit different. I'll also have an SL so I want the M lenses to be fast.

Gordon

I have lived and traveled in Thailand for the past 3 years. I am reluctant to give advise because so much depends on your itinerary and style of capturing scenes. In the city the light is extraordinarily strong and flat during the day so an ND filter is in order and at the beach a polarizing or good UV ND filter(s). Bangkok usually has great golden hours so do your research on where to find the best vantage points. During the day Bangkok is full of professionals going about their work, street life, and markets. The real characters come out at night so keep your lens speed and ISO in mind. I do a lot of street shooting and primarily use a Ricoh GR for wide angle and a Summicron 35mm for just about every street activity. Occasionally I will use a Summicron 90mm when at the ocean or in the mountains. On the street I like to get close. I have a 50mm Summicron which I use rarely and 75mm Summilux which I only deploy for portraits. At the ocean the 35mmm and 90mm fulfilled all my needs. If you plan to use your M near the water, I trust you have the proper housing or dry bag protection in the event of partial or total immersion. The primary concern for me, which is overcome through a strict awareness to my surroundings and belongings, is theft. The Thai people are great and generous. As smile goes a long way. I have dropped money or left things and without exception someone will return the item to me. As a tourist you are obvious and with a Leica you are rich in the eyes of many so take care with respect to theft. Be aware of young teenage boys on motorbikes or hanging out in some places, lady boys, or common thieves usually found in crowded places and in public transport. Always be aware if someone or more than one person touches you. If walking close to the street or in the street keep your bag strap on the shoulder away from the street. I do not mean to set an unpleasant mood to your time time in Thailand. I have traveled from the border of Malaysia to Laos, Myanmar,  Isaan, and nightly to the streets of Bangkok without an incident. I stay aware, take normal precautions, use a bag that doesn't stick out and is a dead give away. I like bags that make a lot of Velcro noise and produce resistance when opened. I stumbled on to oversized Velcro patches during photo shoots at street festivals in India. At a Ganesh festival in Pune I was one in thousands body to body in the street and felt my kit was totally secure. Lastly you may want to place black tape over logos. In Bangkok electric tape will slide off due to the humidity. I put duct tape over the logos and then electric tape on top of the duct tape with a secure result. I apologize if I caused any undue concern as you will have a great time with wonderful people. Just stay aware of your valuables.

Edited by nie1jag