Advertisement (gone after registration)

Zabriskie Point is one of Death Valley's most famous spots; here's Manley Beacon's ridge just after sunrise under a stormy sky.

M240_0059.jpg

With the Leica M-P (Typ 240) and the 35mm Summilux FLE. Best,

Vieri
Edited by Vieri
  • Like 11

Hi Vieri - Wonderful landscape composition and I applaud your determination to get this shot.

If I may make a couple of constructive observations:

1.  I don't find the color palette convincing, either a realistic or surreal in a way that gels.  I don't know quite what it is but foreground is too yellowish and doesn't gel well with the background.

2.  I feel like you didn't capture enough motion in the clouds and as a result there is a choppiness that is distracting especially when coupled with the strong highlights.  IMHO, I think you should have either pumped the ISO to get crisp clouds with good definition or thrown a strong(er) ND filter for more consistent and smooth blur. 

3.  I think you overdid it on the micro contrast and IMHO the image consequently looks a bit cartoonish.  

Again, I am really just trying to provide some helpful observations with fresh eyes and I hope you don't take my remarks as insulting or offensive.   You have some really stellar photos and clearly you have a good thing going.  Keep it up!

Best,

Adam Miller

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Vieri - Wonderful landscape composition and I applaud your determination to get this shot.

If I may make a couple of constructive observations:

1.  I don't find the color palette convincing, either a realistic or surreal in a way that gels.  I don't know quite what it is but foreground is too yellowish and doesn't gel well with the background.

2.  I feel like you didn't capture enough motion in the clouds and as a result there is a choppiness that is distracting especially when coupled with the strong highlights.  IMHO, I think you should have either pumped the ISO to get crisp clouds with good definition or thrown a strong(er) ND filter for more consistent and smooth blur. 

3.  I think you overdid it on the micro contrast and IMHO the image consequently looks a bit cartoonish.  

Again, I am really just trying to provide some helpful observations with fresh eyes and I hope you don't take my remarks as insulting or offensive.   You have some really stellar photos and clearly you have a good thing going.  Keep it up!

Best,

Adam Miller

Adam, thank you for your comments. Well, on the "artistic" side it is simple: you would have taken a different picture, which is obvious since you are you and I am me, so no, I "shouldn't" have done anything different than I did, otherwise I would have been you, not me :D I like the picture as it is, obviously; that said, I am absolutely fine with the fact that not everyone will like all my photographs and my vision all the time, it is part of the job :)

The only thing I'd answer on is micro-contrast, which as you should know is impossible to judge on such a low quality, small-sized jpg. The original sized image is just fine. 

What a stunning shot which shows the relief perfectly. I the "golden Hour" wins again. Much enjoyed.

Thank you very much, I am glad you enjoyed it! :D Nothing like the golden hour!

Best,

Vieri

• Like 1

Adam, thank you for your comments. Well, on the "artistic" side it is simple: you would have taken a different picture, which is obvious since you are you and I am me, so no, I "shouldn't" have done anything different than I did, otherwise I would have been you, not me :D I like the picture as it is, obviously; that said, I am absolutely fine with the fact that not everyone will like all my photographs and my vision all the time, it is part of the job :)

The only thing I'd answer on is micro-contrast, which as you should know is impossible to judge on such a low quality, small-sized jpg. The original sized image is just fine. 

Thank you very much, I am glad you enjoyed it! :D Nothing like the golden hour!

Best,

Vieri

Vieri - Thanks for your reply.  I absolutely was not trying to tell you what you should be doing.  Rather, only how the photo struck my fresh pair of eyes.  There is no right answer here.  But once in a while constructive and well-intentioned comments from others can be good.  Best, Adam