Epson V700 Vertical Line

Keith (M)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Scans from my V700 this week have a vertical line in them. This occurs on the negs in the right side of the neg holder.  Anyone know the likely cause and can it be fixed?  Clearly I can use LR to remove the line but obviously it is not something I want to be doing all the time!  Example below:-

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hmm, curious. OK the good news first, if it happens on the right side negs turn them upside down and scan them on the left side. I'm not being totally facetious because in places the line seems to be behind detail in the picture, like the leaves in the mid foreground. So turning the neg strip upside down and scanning them again may rule out a scanner fault if the line remains because it's then more likely to then be a film fault.

Steve

Odd line as it seems to be discontinuous ie at the ditch it is very obvious on the far bank then stops.

If it was dirt I would expect to see a continuous line, seen regularly on faxes, yes we still use them!! Or a scanner head problem. Have you tried using the scanner as a non reflective ie scan a document that would narrow it down or re-scan a known good negative, do they all show this pattern of line?

The first half inch or so of the glass pane of most flatbed scanners is used to calibrate the cells in the moving part. For my scanner, the area is easily detectable by the window in the first part of the negative holder (the cutout on the right hand side in the picture). Any piece of dust or lint in that area is bound to produce a streak all over the scanning area.

It might be worthwhile to inspect the part of the the glass pane closest to the hinge that is left visible through the cutout.

Picture is © Epson corp.

Thanks for the feedback.  The line first appeared on a roll of Portra 160 from my Rolleicord, dev'd by Ilford Lab and I wondered if was from the machinery.  Put a roll of b&w into the Rolleicord to check if it was something in the camera.  When scanned, there was the line but it was not every neg - turned out to be only those in the right-hand side of the film holder.  Scanned a sheet of A4 in reflective mode - no line.  Hmmm.  Late this morning a roll of Velvia 100 from my GW690II came back from Palm Lab.  Scanned just now - no line!  Will monitor the situation and keep my fingers crossed...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had a Minolta 5400 for a short time, and it had a couple of lines like this, except they were white, bot dark/black like yours.

Evidently a speck of dust on the CCD head is all it requires, as the head moves across the object being scanned, and produces a line.

White though in my case, dust being the guess.

Your case, black, dunno. Being intermittent doesn't help either, at least mine was 24/7, every shot.

Gary

So if the line is gone when you scan other things it's likely to be a film fault repeating at regular intervals along the roll.

Scanned again the two rolls that had the line - no line, which supports Pop's advice about:-

The first half inch or so of the glass pane of most flatbed scanners is used to calibrate the cells in the moving part. For my scanner, the area is easily detectable by the window in the first part of the negative holder (the cutout on the right hand side in the picture). Any piece of dust or lint in that area is bound to produce a streak all over the scanning area.

All now appears to be OK.

• Like 2

The cut out in the negative holder confirms to the scanner it is going to scan film, which lens to use, and calibrates the datum start point of the scan. Nothing gets scanned in the area of the cut out so dust in that area does not get scanned into the whole image so 'Any piece of dust or lint in that area......' is gibberish.

...so 'Any piece of dust or lint in that area......' is gibberish.

That is somewhat harsh, Steve.  Anyway, as per an earlier post the line has (hopefully permanently) disappeared.  I appreciate that people tried to help come up with an answer to my problem.  :)

• Like 1

Here's a very simple demonstration. The negative (not a very inspiring image and dirty, too) is 6x9 cm. The scanner is an Epson Perfection V600 Photo.

First a scan without any obstructions in on the glass pane within the cutout; on the left hand side (or above) the cutout of the negative holder, on the right hand side the scan made in this condition:

Next a scan with a human hair lying on the glass pane. The hair is mine, but don't worry, as I still have some left.

An exaggerated demo with a small scrap of paper instead of a bit of lint in roughly the same position.

As you can see, anything obstructing the light within the cutout will indeed produce a disturbance in the resulting scan.

Try scanning a transparent negative without the holder, laying it on the glass pane and touching the edge of the pane right next to the lid. 

• Like 3