Chrome Rigid Summar, Reid Dallmeyer, Canon 28mm in M-mount (values)

argusmike

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica People,

First of all, I have to complement you on your beautifully organized site. Second, I'm an Argus collector, so you can understand why I need your help on this topic.

A friend of mine asked my wife and I to evaluate the value of a camera collection (he works for a probate company). We spent the last week looking at several hundred cameras,  but are unsure on the following 3 items. These are to be part of the sale of the entire collection, with the proceeds (minus commission to the probate company) going to the family. We don't have an interest in the outcome except to see that the family gets an accurate evaluation.

Chrome Rigid f/2.0 Summar: The serial number says it was from the first batch of 1000 in 1933. It is coated, which must have occurred some years after it was manufactured. Glass, chrome, and coating look good to me (pending a more detailed examination). Also, most of the ones I've seen on line were nickel - would the chrome one be more or less?  We should be able to make a photo later today.

13.5cm Reid Dallmeyer in LTM: One of these sold for 300 pounds in 2013, but that's our only clue.

Canon 28mm in M-mount: This looks professionally done, in OK condition. I recall that it's an f/2.8 - I'll check later today.

There was also an 85mm f/1.8 Canon in LTM, which I'll be able to track down myself but would appreciate any opinions. The deceased was somewhat of a recluse. All of these things and lots more were found in boxes in his garage after his death. There's a lesson here for us old collectors.

Mike Reitsma

San Francisco Bay Area

I'd suggest you check Ebay for completed sales, you can often see good descriptions of condition and what they actually went for. Likewise you can check KEH.com and see what dealers might be selling in their used gear, likewise Adorama, Tamarkin, and possibly B&H. Also, I'd shine a flashlight thru each lens with the diaphragm wide open to see if there are any signs of  mold, fungus, haze, dust or element separation - which would certainly lower the value. BTW most probate firms have arrangements with professional evaluators or auction houses with experienced folks who have access to a vast array of resources - I know the firms I worked for did.

Welcome to the Forum !!!

Here we do not give evaluations : is a general rule of this Forum, even if we often speak about prices of collectibles : but to give evaluations is Always questionable by definition, so the rule is there : anyway, if you are familiar with the Net, is not difficult to have an idea of the prices that "are around"  on certain items... ebay is definitely a rich source... and about "official" prices made at public auctions, there is a good site (http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/) which keeps track of a lot of collectibles at auctions Worldwide.

About the Leitz Summar you quote : the rigid version is rather rare, both in chrome and nickel... and, being a Leica collectible (Leica collection is a very important sub-category of camera collection)  its evaluation is easily trackable and depends a lot on originality, conditions, and availability of contemporary addons (box, hood and similar) : anyway, I repeat , the rigid Summar is Always valued significantly, differently from the retractable, which exists in thousands of items..

I haven't much to say about the other lenses you quote...the Canon 85 1,8 is a lens still used and appreciated by many aficionados... about the Canon 28... it seems strange to me that it has a M bayonet Mount... unless it is a lab modification ... as far as I know, it was produced in the usual Leica screw Mount : are you sure ita has not a screw to bayonet adapter screwed in ?

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Thank you Spydrxx, William, and Luigi for your sound suggestions. I will follow-up.

One note on the "Canon 28mm with M-mount." I examined it more closely today and found out that it is in fact a 25mm f/3.5, not a 28mm f/2.8. We found a 25mm finder to go with it. It may have been converted from LTM, but I don't see an adapter.  Sorry for the mix-up.

Mike

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13.5cm Reid Dallmeyer in LTM: One of these sold for 300 pounds in 2013, but that's our only clue.

FYI, a UK Dealer is currently listing a 13.5cm Dalmeyer Dalrac LTM for a little more than this, but that's a dealer asking price and not a 'sold' figure. As a private sale it might not make quite as much but it looks as though you aren't that far out.