APO 50 in red. Why?

Ivar B

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The WATE will be rainbow coloured. The 24 mm lenses will have transparant mounts.

A lens COMPLETELY made with glass (*)  is one of my dreams... :p

(*) Of course, of different kind and subtle differences in hues... with the optical cell as is, contact parts with proper friction materials but all the body of a dark trasparent glass - car window - like...  

It's quite an achievement to make an otherwise well made and fine optical instrument look so cheap and tacky. It gives the impression that the lens was made in the same factory as those very cheap gaudily coloured knock-off maglite torches you can buy in places like Poundland.

The recent F0.95 'collection' was irredeemably naff, this simply rings of desperation. 

• Like 2

My father-in-law collected 'Z' Gauge trains which fascinated him due to their size and the fact that they worked, and one of these was in gold (a Marklins model I think?). He had it modified from its original 'collector's' state so that it would actually run and then proceeded to use it, much to the horror of those who then saw it running at relevant venues I suspect. I am sure that he did this for devilment and equally sure that he was an exception.

Equally I suspect that few, if any of these red lenses will be bought for use and anyone who does buy and use one will do so in the knowledge that it will quickly devalue and using it is a statement as much as anything else. Which begs the question as to whether such lenses are bought to fill a gap and complete a collection or because they actually are genuinely aesthetically pleasing to the eye? If I'm honest, to me a red lens does not look very nice at all and since I'm not a collector, even if they were cheap I wouldn't buy one. But clearly some do find them attractive and, collecting aside, I do find this intriguing. To me a lens can look attractive but its the underlying technical abilities which really appeal far more - I'm a 'user' rather than anything else I suppose. Who here actually enjoys and buys a lens because of its visual aesthetics as much as its performance?

<snip>Who here actually enjoys and buys a lens because of its visual aesthetics as much as its performance?

I intend to buy a new Summaron 28 because of its looks. I really want to swan around with a silvery lens on my silvery M. My 21, 35, 50 and 90 lenses are all black. I like the 28mm frame but would have lived without it if it hadn't been so lovely. It's not that I'm rich; it's going to hurt but just look at it!

• Like 2

I intend to buy a new Summaron 28 because of its looks. I really want to swan around with a silvery lens on my silvery M. My 21, 35, 50 and 90 lenses are all black. I like the 28mm frame but would have lived without it if it hadn't been so lovely. It's not that I'm rich; it's going to hurt but just look at it!

Looks great on my silver MP240, but best of all it takes decent pictures...http://www.tedlemon.co.uk/gallery/28mm-summaron-test/

• Like 2

Wy a red 50 APO? Because you need a lens for this:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I think it will go nicely with my new suit.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4