APO 50 in red. Why?

Ivar B

Advertisement (gone after registration)

"I imagine they make the push-fit metal cap in red but would be surprised to see the plastic clip-on one red. As it's a different material the colour wouldn't match.
Someone asked about the alignment dot - it's black on this lens.
A set of colour matched filters would be lovely. Including the universal polariser. (I'm not a customer for this lens, by the way)" Quote

Not many collectors put a filter ever on any of their lenses.

The set of filters would make the lens without them incomplete = brilliant idea imo.

What colour were the lens caps on the safaris and the white ones?

Any special filters for them?

So maybe the perfect chance NOW for the brand, making an incremental step foreward to evolve the red lens into a complete set. It would be logic.

PS Presently only one Hermes (M-240, from Hong Kong) and two Titanium M9 (Vienna) on ebay. No white M8, two Safari 240 sets. Maybe more somewhere else?

This doesn't make it look to me as if special editions were undesired.

Edited by tri

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Perhaps Leica will introduce a bespoke colouring service for aluminium lenses and camera finishes. If you google colour anodising you will see that there are a vast array of colours available and graphics can even be incorporated too. Its only the anodisation process, which is needed on aluminium parts anyway, so is a simple to apply cosmetic finish.

Personally I'll stick to black :) .

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

" This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue APO—the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red APO—you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember: all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more. "

• Like 9

This might be exactly the opposite of stealth concept. Instead of making it inconspicuous they make it flashy red, and people would love to be photographed by this lens. 

I just have to walk about with my Rolleicord Vb around my neck for that kind of attention...   :)

Edited by Keith (M)

As a messie I prefer the red Leica APO because it is easier to retrieve the lens under all the other gear in my household.

They missed a trick - fluorescent red would have been more helpful - AND FLUORESCENT CAPS TO MATCH (I'd buy them anyway).

Edited by pgk
  • Like 1

They missed a trick - fluorescent red would have been more helpful - AND FLUORESCENT CAPS TO MATCH (I'd buy them anyway).

I actually once asked Leica for fluorescent numbering on the shutter speed dial so I could see it in the dark. They said they couldn't 

Edited by Overgaard
  • Like 1

I think a red APO makes (perfect) sense. I'm sure many have been eying Kaufmann's only existing red APO he got as a gift and wondering how they could get a rare lens like that. 

I find it refreshing that Leica Camera is playing around with fun ideas like the instant camera and the 28/5.6 that are not ordinary ideas but things to indulge in for some (while we wait for the M10). This is a fun idea too. 

In practical terms, it might make some happy to have a red APO, but more interestingly it will be a good investment as well. The 50mm Summilux-M ASPH in Black Chrome that was first made for LHSA in silver and black (some years ago), and now in 500 pieces in black, is the same lens as the normal 50/1.4 ASPH in terms op optics, but with the 1959-barrel design in brass and painted black. The value of the LHSA edition has gone up almost 100% in just a few years. And the current (and still available) Black Chrome version has gone up from 4,800 to 5,300 in retail in just a few months in retail and will continue up, following the same trend as the LHSA edition that sells for 7-8,000 now.

Just because it's limited. So if 100 red APO lenses are less than the market wants, then the price will rocket up fast. So that would be one reason to get one (apart from color preferences).

Some say that Leica should concentrate on "serious" business, but in retrospect I think they have turned out the Q and SL which are good examples of serious things. And soon a Leica M10 (that we don't need but all want).

The APO is a classic and will be an intersting lens in many years to come. Read the thought behind it in this interview with lens designer Peter Karbe: 
http://www.overgaard.dk/leica-50mm-APO-Summicron-M-ASPH-f-20.html

Here's Andre Kaufmanns "birthday" M in white with the red APO they made for him (and which inspired this limited edition). Red and white is the Austrian colors, by the way, so it makes sense in that way too (as Kaufmann in Austrian):

L1292331-1-red-50mm-APO-Andres-Kaufmann-

Edited by Overgaard
  • Like 2

My sources at Leica tell me this the first in a new series of color coded M lenses and lens caps.

21mm--White

28mm--Orange

35mm--Black (Thank God, I already have this one)

50mm--Red

75mm--Yellow

90mm--Blue

135mm--Green

Now, rummaging around in a bag searching for a lens will be much easier.  We still don't know the colors

for the WATE and 24mm lenses.  I will pass it along as soon as I know.

Ciao,  Sully

• Like 1

My sources at Leica tell me this the first in a new series of color coded M lenses and lens caps.

21mm--White

28mm--Orange

35mm--Black (Thank God, I already have this one)

50mm--Red

75mm--Yellow

90mm--Blue

135mm--Green

Now, rummaging around in a bag searching for a lens will be much easier.  We still don't know the colors

for the WATE and 24mm lenses.  I will pass it along as soon as I know.

Ciao,  Sully

What?!  No Tartan??!!  :o  :D

Pete.

Edited by farnz

....Here's Andre Kaufmanns "birthday" M in white with the red APO they made for him (and which inspired this limited edition). Red and white is the Austrian colors, by the way, so it makes sense in that way too (as Kaufmann in Austrian):

You'll have to try harder than that if I'm to be convinced Kaufmann isn't a Big Fat Gypsy Wedding photographer.

• Like 1

Let's be realistic: 9000$ is probably Leica's workers payroll for one day or so.

9000$ net means selling quite a few of those lenses.

All in all, this doesn't do much for Leica except keeping them at the top of the news, which in turn promotes Leica as a whole.