APO 50 in red. Why?

Ivar B

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Profits from this will not go into mainstream products as there will be no additional profits. The cost is only $1000 more than the usual model, and there are only 100 of them. The effort to produce and market the item would exceed $100,000, thet's only a few salaries for a few weeks.

I think they've done this for fun. Maybe they've had a few requests after seeing Dr Kaufmanns red lens last year?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Someone with a red custom-made M might go for this (very expensive) choice. Each to their own. Chacun a son gout. (Sorry my keyboard doesn't have ^ as an option to accent words like gout.)

How did you type it then ???  The "^" I mean !

To get "û", just the "^" followed by "u"  :)

I really do not understand what they are trying to do ? my guess is they have not learned a thing this past 20 years?

Just when I thought they are getting back on track of getting back on top of the podium and positioning the Brand as the benchmark of professional photography 

They put out this pink contraption. Last week was a useless T titanium , 2 weeks before was a ping pong MP. 

Damn I shake my head 

Yes it is clear you don't understand. Next to developing gear for photographers, professional or otherwise, they are making money by producing small series of high profit  collector's items, which they have been doing since 1930. It is called keeping a company going by keeping it in the black.

• Like 2

I see no problem with Leica offering niche products for sale.  Many people will have little interest in them but for those who do it's better that they're available than they're not.  None of the recent niche products such as this lens, the ping pong M, the Lenny Kravitz 'aged' set, the M9Ti, the black 50/0.95 Noctilux with the black numbers, etc were of interest to me but the Retro E43 50/1.4 Summilux-M asph is and I'm very glad I have one, which I regularly use.

Pete.

• Like 5

Does anyone happen to know whether it comes with a matching red* front lens cap?  It would be a shame for it to have a black plastic one.

Pete.

*And, no, this wouldn't be the make or break whether I would buy the lens, it doesn't interest me. -_-

And had the election gone the other way:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

I think Leica is following Nikon's strategy. :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jmahto

Wow man you really are the god guru of this forum 

High profits by selling a handful of novelties 

The company that started out eating the table scraps from Leica in the 1950s is the photographic Giant Today and you think they are on the right path???

man put sock in it

Which photographic giant would you be referring to?

Nikon?

Canon?

Both of whom make tiny sums of money by selling huge volumes of cameras to a shrinking market. As the market shrinks they find their bread and butter sales vanishing and now have to race to try to find a profit margin so they can continue to be in business. I'm pretty sure Leica knows where the profit margin is.

"High profits selling a handful of novelties?" Sounds like the ultimate business to me. Why make and sell 100 cameras to make $1000 when you can sell ONE. 

And there is no need to insult other forum members, we can all have our opinions and be civil.

I think you'll find that Leica has moved on from the guy grinding lenses also making the tea and opening the mail.

;)  True but 'resources' these days also refers to more than just guys in brown overalls (or white in Leica's case). 

I imagine they make the push-fit metal cap in red but would be surprised to see the plastic clip-on one red. As it's a different material the colour wouldn't match.

Someone asked about the alignment dot - it's black on this lens.

A set of colour matched filters would be lovely. Including the universal polariser. (I'm not a customer for this lens, by the way)