ND filters for the Q?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I looked through the older posts and did not see anything pertaining to this, though my eyes may have failed me in this task. Is there anyone here that uses ND filters on their Q? What is the actual mm size for filters anyway? It varies on my Nikon so I use an adapter ring to cover all bases. 

From yesterday and the Q and with a ND 3.0 filter.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Big T
  • Like 5

Thorsten uses ND filters on the Q and have written about it in his long article on the Q. I have tried but found that it was not very necessary. I can live with the electronic shutter when I need it. The filter size is 49mm.

I did in the beginning. I always get ND filters for all new lenses from the start. 

But on the Leica Q it's not necessary at all, so I stopped using it. 

When you do manual settings using external light meter it would be nice to be able to set the shutter speed manually; and it is. When you turn it to max shutter speed on the dial, then the thumbs wheel takes you all the way up to faster electronic shutter times. 

So the Leica Q works find without an ND filter. 

• Like 2

How about circular polarizers? I presume a lot of folks will have one of these?

Am about to head back to the store for filters and am thinking: a neutral (for screen protection), a 6 stop ND and a circular polarizer.

I use a Marumi DHG Super Circular PL which --- after some practice --- I can adjust with the lens hood in place without getting my fingerprints on the filter :)   You do have to remove the hood to install and remove the filter.

• 4 months later...

I have a question about ND filters. Why not get a variable one? I have read online that some don't like them (because they introduce polarizing to get the variability, I think). But it seems like an effective way to control how long an exposure you can get in bright conditions. I am after the long shutter times to show effects of moving stuff (people, water, clouds, etc.) Am I better off buying a couple of fixed ND ones (which brands and strengths (filter factor) do you recommend?) or just one variable one?

I always carry a 6-stop ND filter made by B&W. I enjoy slowing down the shutter speed to capture waterfalls and water fountains.

I also carry a Carl Zeiss "T" Circular Polarizer. I occasionally use it although I'm sensitive to variation in the sky across the image since the Q's 28mm focal length is pretty wide. I do like using it to reduce specular highlights in leaves and landscapes.

I own a Singh-Ray variable ND filter for use on my Canon lenses. I don't use it that often, but it does work. Very expensive and in retrospect I would not buy it again.

Edited by Infiniumguy
  • Thanks 1

I did in the beginning. I always get ND filters for all new lenses from the start. 

But on the Leica Q it's not necessary at all, so I stopped using it. 

When you do manual settings using external light meter it would be nice to be able to set the shutter speed manually; and it is. When you turn it to max shutter speed on the dial, then the thumbs wheel takes you all the way up to faster electronic shutter times. 

So the Leica Q works find without an ND filter. 

i just came across this post--- can you explain better what you mean...

• Like 1

+1. I didn't understand it either.

First, Infiniumguy: thanks for your response about what filters you have and like. I've come to respect your opinions. You agree with what I read that variable NDs arent the way to go, although they would seem to be the best of both worlds.

Secondly, regarding Thorstens comment. I had to think about it, but I think he simply means that when there is "too much light" it is easily remedied by using the high electronic shutter speeds to cut the exposure to the correct level.

Ok, got that. But, as I said my aim to force long shutter times to portray motion, like in moving water.

First, Infiniumguy: thanks for your response about what filters you have and like. I've come to respect your opinions. You agree with what I read that variable NDs arent the way to go, although they would seem to be the best of both worlds.

Secondly, regarding Thorstens comment. I had to think about it, but I think he simply means that when there is "too much light" it is easily remedied by using the high electronic shutter speeds to cut the exposure to the correct level.

Ok, got that. But, as I said my aim to force long shutter times to portray motion, like in moving water.

Thanks and I agree. The fast shutter speed will allow using a larger aperture for shallow DOF even in bright light. As stated earlier I use ND filters to cut the light to allow slow shutter speeds and "milky" water. I really like that effect.

For the Q, and given all the capabilities in LR and PS, I think the only filters needed are ND and a Polarizer.

• Like 1

I just received a B+W 6-stop ND filter (F-pro 106 1.8 MRC), but havent had a chance to shoot with it yet. My intention is the same as other posters' above, to shoot rivers and other water bodies.

Now, let's say i fix the time to e.g. 5 seconds and let the aperture and ISO be determined by camera automatically. Will the Q measure exposure correctly even with this very dark filter attached, or are there any special considerations when shooting with Q and ND filters?

It probably will work, but I would not do it that way. I would be operating on a tripod and therefore I would set the ISO to be 100. I'd select the right aperture for the DOF I wanted. I'd move ISO UP if I needed to for the correct exposure. 5 secs may be too long. Typically I use 0.5-1.0 secs for moving water. The exception might be at the ocean where waves are coming in less frequently 5 secs might be fine there. Good luck. Looking forward to seeing your photos.

Edited by Infiniumguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1