TL with the new 28mm Summaron

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This rather unlikely setup (combining the sleek new TL with a very old-fashioned lens) was demoed at Paris Photo last week at the Leica space in the Grand Palais. I found the combination curious enough to take a couple of pictures. It may actually be a useful combo, the Summaron coming quite close to being what is called a pancake lens I guess. Anyway, just for your viewing pleasure and reference, something one doesn't see every day.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

One more, solo. 
Btw, there were plenty of Leica photographers out and about at this event, I saw folks with the S007, quite a few with the SL, M, M9, M8. And one chap, improbably, with the wonderful Hassy SWC and a huge Metz flash. :) 

• Like 3

One more, solo.

Btw, there were plenty of Leica photographers out and about at this event, I saw folks with the S007, quite a few with the SL, M, M9, M8. And one chap, improbably, with the wonderful Hassy SWC and a huge Metz flash. :)

Hi HuntingSand

Any results would be much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am so jealous of you for being in Paris at this time of the year, Thomas!... At this time of the year, there are always many artistic and cultural events going on in Paris that make the joy of many people. Have fun, my friend! ;)

As for TL and that small 28 mm lens; it makes it, indeed, very portable and I must say, even attractive in a way. I am also using a 28 mm lens on my T very often. But mine is a Nikkor and much bigger than this one. This is actually a nice range for street photography; I only wish I had more control to sometimes blur the unwanted background! 

I am so jealous of you for being in Paris at this time of the year, Thomas!... At this time of the year, there are always many artistic and cultural events going on in Paris that make the joy of many people. Have fun, my friend! ;)

As for TL and that small 28 mm lens; it makes it, indeed, very portable and I must say, even attractive in a way. I am also using a 28 mm lens on my T very often. But mine is a Nikkor and much bigger than this one. This is actually a nice range for street photography; I only wish I had more control to sometimes blur the unwanted background! 

Hi Louis, yes, there's a LOT going on here in Paris these days. Just earlier this week, the Galleries Lafayette & Royal started with Xmas decorations, and it's coming to Place Vendome and everywhere else soon, too. And we are still in the Photo St.Germain week where over 40 galleries are putting on shows (HCB, Steve Curry, Herb Ritt, Faurer, Contreras, Araki,  and a lot of new names). Pretty amazing coverage of all sorts of subjects as you can imagine.

Now, re control of unwanted backgrounds, have you thought of Lensrentals perhaps? I tried the 35 T-Summilux today, that's an exceptional, native lens for the T. Well, Lensrentals (and perhaps others, too), have it for rent (not exactly for a pittance, but it's not too much either), so if you have an event or a trip coming up, add that into the overall costs, et voila, you will have more flexibility. I am of the belief that I don't need to own all the gear I work with, so I've done it a number of times, and it always was worth it. The 35 T-Lux I would want to own, though :p    

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Louis, yes, there's a LOT going on here in Paris these days. Just earlier this week, the Galleries Lafayette & Royal started with Xmas decorations, and it's coming to Place Vendome and everywhere else soon, too. And we are still in the Photo St.Germain week where over 40 galleries are putting on shows (HCB, Steve Curry, Herb Ritt, Faurer, Contreras, Araki,  and a lot of new names). Pretty amazing coverage of all sorts of subjects as you can imagine.

Now, re control of unwanted backgrounds, have you thought of Lensrentals perhaps? I tried the 35 T-Summilux today, that's an exceptional, native lens for the T. Well, Lensrentals (and perhaps others, too), have it for rent (not exactly for a pittance, but it's not too much either), so if you have an event or a trip coming up, add that into the overall costs, et voila, you will have more flexibility. I am of the belief that I don't need to own all the gear I work with, so I've done it a number of times, and it always was worth it. The 35 T-Lux I would want to own, though :p    

I know, 35 mm T is a fantastic lens with a gorgeous bokeh. I remember telling you about when you were deciding to go for a T. Then, you found it too big and expensive; but it is really great and on my list for sure! 

• Like 1

Although the Summaron-M 28mm looks very cool, the Summilux-TL 35mm does seem the better value for money...

And I do wish Leica made a 18mm pancake TL lens (28mm eq) for street photography as well...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone, 

this is my first post here in this awesome forum. 

I own a Leica T since early this year and I have the following lenses 

Super Vario-Elmar T 18-56mm

T 23mm summicron 

28mm M summicron 

50mm M summilux 

I really enjoy using the M lenses with this camera. 

I was debating to purchase a 35mm M summilux or the 28mm, so I needed up with a 28mm summicron. 

The reason I chose this focal length is because it equates to a 42mm on a full frame camera. 

The combination is just terrific. I was wondering if there are other people here with this same combination. 

• Like 1

I saw the new Summaron lens in the Las Vegas store this week.  Cute little thing!

They had one in stock, so anybody interested and located in the US, it might be worthwhile giving them a call...

Hello everyone, 

this is my first post here in this awesome forum. 

I own a Leica T since early this year and I have the following lenses 

Super Vario-Elmar T 18-56mm

T 23mm summicron 

28mm M summicron 

50mm M summilux 

I really enjoy using the M lenses with this camera. 

I was debating to purchase a 35mm M summilux or the 28mm, so I needed up with a 28mm summicron. 

The reason I chose this focal length is because it equates to a 42mm on a full frame camera. 

The combination is just terrific. I was wondering if there are other people here with this same combination.

Do you also have an M with all those M lenses? I originally bought the T as a backup to my M and something I would shoot with for every day carrying around instead of lugging around the M. I too found the 28 Summicron M lens was superb on the T. So far haven't been tempted yet to get the 28 Summaron. If I want super lightweight and compact, the 35mm Summicron v4 has to be darn near as compact and light as the Summaron. I can just keep it at 5.6 and betting darn near the same or better.

Do you also have an M with all those M lenses? I originally bought the T as a backup to my M and something I would shoot with for every day carrying around instead of lugging around the M. I too found the 28 Summicron M lens was superb on the T. So far haven't been tempted yet to get the 28 Summaron. If I want super lightweight and compact, the 35mm Summicron v4 has to be darn near as compact and light as the Summaron. I can just keep it at 5.6 and betting darn near the same or better.

I don't own an M camera.

I found that the Leica T is a perfect match for me. I liked the fact that I can use all kinds of lenses from M, R and SL.

For the prints I produce sometimes, the APS-C sensor is more than enough.

Traveling light and discreet photography are big ++ with the T system.

• Like 2

I don't own an M camera.

I found that the Leica T is a perfect match for me. I liked the fact that I can use all kinds of lenses from M, R and SL.

For the prints I produce sometimes, the APS-C sensor is more than enough.

Traveling light and discreet photography are big ++ with the T system.

Great lenses. Edited by billinghambaglady
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

I intend to use the Summaron on my M bodies, but man, is it a compact kit on my CL. I noticed gentle bokeh and no vignetting given the crop sensor.

• Like 1