Image thread for the Leica Summilux-SL 50mm f/1.4 ASPH

TheGodParticle/Hari

Advertisement (gone after registration)

50/1.4 seems to have been shipped to some dealers, images and reviews may appear soon

After the launch of the M-APO50/2, this is probably the most awaited Leica lens

The last time I was at Wetzlar I was requested to be patient till December, they were ironing out some firmware issues. I will go towards the end of next week to see if they have one for me to play with. Needless to say, I will share the images here

If any of you gets a unit to play with, do post the images here for the benefit of all

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One of many sample images I took from October with a prototype copy. AF could be faster but clearly it was a firmware issue. The lens was stunning in clarity that you could tell even in the finder.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

The previews I've seen so far have been less than nice... 

All overly sharpened and totally lack to show the true quality of the lens, or out of focus! 

We'll have to wait until someone write a review with good results, or just go grab one up yourself to try it. 

The portrait I posted was not sharpened.  Images out of that lens are already so sharp that I had sharpening all the way down in Lightroom.  Perhaps it is the JPG artifacts in the version posted.

The previews I've seen so far have been less than nice... 

All overly sharpened and totally lack to show the true quality of the lens, or out of focus! 

We'll have to wait until someone write a review with good results, or just go grab one up yourself to try it. 

• Like 2

The portrait I posted was not sharpened.  Images out of that lens are already so sharp that I had sharpening all the way down in Lightroom.  Perhaps it is the JPG artifacts in the version posted.

Yours is indeed just low ress due to the forum but the pictures on facebook that someone linked are just horrible... they have been overly edited which diminishes the ability to see what the lens can do. 

Edited by jip

This one shows 100% crop of the face.  This is straight out of Lightroom's default settings (Sharpness = 25).  Roughly this is how I would characterize my brief impression of the lens:

- AF noticeably slower than the 24-90 and 90-280.  Again has to be the firmware, and the Leica rep present said the same.

- At 1.4, I felt like the image quality was better than my 75 AA or at 35 FLE at ANY aperture.

- The rep claimed it is better than the 50 Summicron-M APO

- Very uniform performance into the edges

- Takes APO correction to a whole new level.  You can see that in the crop.

- The lens isn't just sharp, it gives a perceived higher resolution that's hard to describe.  Kind of like looking at medium format vs 35mm full frame.  You can see this even in the viewfinder.  

- The bokeh and especially highlights melt away beautifully. 

This is not a lens I'm interested for myself, but I think those of you fancying optical perfection will be delighted.

Edited by cpclee
  • Like 2

Another 100% crop straight out of Lightroom.  ISO 1400 at f1.4

• Like 1

Last one.  Again 100% straight out of Lightroom.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting these. If you have a Flickr account you can upload there at full res and embed the BB codes here to pull the pics in here. Flirckr does, however, add its own sharpening.

The last of these samples seems to be focused on the nose / mouth. Does the face-detect not work properly with this lens?

• 3 weeks later...