Leica M 10

rijve044

M10's flange (top) looks slightly thicker than M240's here.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Or that the test has been done with that lens... Summarit 35/2.5?

Indeed... if they have to provide a test camera to FCC lab or similar... why providing it with a Noctilux or Summicron apo ? ;)

The flange pic isn't convincing me completely.... maybe there  has been some savvy PP work on the image... :huh:

Yes, but nothing like the rumoured 3.8 mm, more like 0.5-1.0 mm.

The rest must come from the back, if the rumour is correct. The only way that could be done is by leaving out the LCD assembly and recessing the buttons.

However, it might be purely cosmetic by leaving the thumbrest off, which would gain a considerable amount against the "official" depth of the M240, although nothing against the real thickness. I consider the latter a bit more likely.

• Like 2

Since we know these comments will happen. Let me be the first to say "I prefer the colour from my M240 over the M10". I think the M240 has more bite/look/certain something...  I think the new camera is too thin/fat... I think Leica has missed an oppertunity... I'll wait for the M11...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 5

Perhaps someone who knows their way around this test lab's site can see if the M typ 240 was also described as medium format. When you submit a camera to them can it be a prototype (e.g. New electronics in a cobbled together old case)?

It's a bit confusing : the present filing at NCC speaks of "Medium Format Digital SLR Camera" (!) , and if you search into the FCC site, you find easily a previous filing from Leica (2014) which is clearly related to the S (007) , and it describes it simply as "Digital Camera"... :huh:

Anyway the famous photo of the "M10" with heavy distortion is inside the report... for whatt is Worth... :huh:

From the documents you can browse (for the S) it looks that you have to provide all the electronics components... and indeed one could make some gymnick, as you say, to cobble up electronics into a "symbolic" body... but given that all the test is about electronics emissions (as far as I understand...) it looks strange to me that the global packaging of the device does not regard the testing...

Lot of documents look (of course) not accesible... but all this story, let me say, is someway unclear...

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

When doing things like the antenna testing for the transmission tests you really do something very close to a production shell, otherwise your tests aren't going to be very representative of the final product.

Yes, these filings are trying to show the bare minimum publically. But no, this isn't some random internet Photoshop guy trying to pass something off. When you're dealing with a regulatory agency like this, trying to pull a fast one is frowned upon. The label on the bottom of the camera is obviously a mockup pasted onto a photograph to show how the certification would look when it's granted. (You wind up with a chicken and egg problem with you can't take a real picture of a certified product for certification before it's certified)

• Like 2

A funny (exciting ? ;) ) excerpt from the test report (made by a certified German Lab) 

Does short-term confidentiality apply to this application?:   Yes

If so, specify the short-term confidentiality release date (MM/DD/YYYY format):   05/11/2017

Note: If no date is supplied, the release date will be set to 45 calendar days past the date of grant.

When doing things like the antenna testing for the transmission tests you really do something very close to a production shell, otherwise your tests aren't going to be very representative of the final product.

Yes, these filings are trying to show the bare minimum publically. But no, this isn't some random internet Photoshop guy trying to pass something off. ...

Hum... years ago I had some experiences with certified labs... and, take note, this is a German Lab... serious by definition ;)

But, when you have to (or decide to...) PUBLISH a report (105 pages) in which all the RELEVANT data about the certification are completely and extensively documented and signed... is it really SO important that the only (rough) picture of the finished product is the right and definitive one ?  Is it somewhere declared in the doc that the tested item IS the one depicted ?  I have read part of those 105 pages ... of course not with great attention, but haven't seen such a declaration ; and, apart this, let's not forget that this is a PUBLISHED item, on a public site not extempt from usual intrusions (after a bit of surfing into, some ads like "Buy a medium format camera" quickly appeared on my browser, duly integrated decently in the FCC report pages) ; I mean : the pdf report is (99%) the original and correct one... the embedded photos maybe something less than 99%... ;)

(and.. after reading Jaap's post... the pattern could even be well planned and executed in full agreement with Leica...)

The fact that it is shown with a Summarit on suggests to me that Leica is not pitching this camera as top-of-the-line.

It's a shame that your logic is correct, but I believe it is.

So why would Leica present a non-top-of-the-line camera in the M line? Something less than an M-E is hard to imagine.

So why would Leica present a non-top-of-the-line camera in the M line? Something less than an M-E is hard to imagine.

Exactly.

Leica - was well aware that these images would go viral. Do you really think that this was accidental?

They are just images of a test camera submitted for electronics testing.  A Summarit lens is a perfect choice for that purpose.  It's not some early statement about the quality or price of the camera.  Nor is it a prediction of some future marketing pitch.  

Edited by zlatkob

Exactly.

They are just images of a test camera submitted for electronics testing.  A Summarit lens is a perfect choice for that purpose.  It's not some early statement about the quality or price of the camera.  Nor is it a prediction of some future marketing pitch.  

I agree. I have some experience of these type approval applications as I once ran a body equivalent to the FCC in a smaller country. The lens is irrelevant to the electronic side of things which would be the only significant issue in a type approval application. Most sensible manufacturers would put on a cheap but serviceable lens for testing and demonstration purposes.

William

• Like 1