Leica M 10

rijve044

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hmm - thinner and lighter is good from my perspective.  Also - the Leica Rumors picture looks as the finish is black chrome.  This is another very big plus as I personally dislike paint finishes.  ISO wheel?  I'm neutral.  If shutter is quiet, ISO range is extended (I'd like base 100 and reliable 3200 - maybe even 6400), and it has an EVF at least as good as the Visoflex 2 that is used on the T I'd be in the market.  Rumors about no video are interesting - I'd be torn as I do find this functionality useful from time to time - though it wouldn't be a deal maker...

• Like 2

Wild speculation: What if the M10 has no LCD screen and handles LV/menus only through WiFi cellphone and removable EVF? Note that the spy photographs are careful not to show the back of the camera, nor a straight top view.

That's exactly what I've been saying for months about what I thought was a miss with the M-D. I'd be perfectly happy with no LCD so long as I could review results on my phone and had an EVF when I wanted it.

• Like 2

I am not parting with my M9 for anything other than a CCD based Monochrom, black paint brass M-D  :) In other words an MM1 with it's screen ripped out !

The MM1 is actually the camera where the LCD screen is more useful than in others. I like shooting black and white in sometimes difficult and contrasty situations and the actual RAW histogram is absolutely invaluable in certain situations. When you blow the highlights with the MM, you don't just blow one color channel.

• Like 4

if there is no video, so   CCD technology with improved features and low light capability could be implemented to address all these need form CCD lovers (including me).
I don't need video and even doesn't know how to switch it on on my M240. what i really need is low light capability - Q can do it better than M, so if they put Q sensor in to the new M10 I'm in.

Edited by EdwardM
  • Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The position of the tripod mount seems odd to me.

Nothing odd there, it's positioned offcentre for reasons probably associated with arrangement of camera intervals.

I made some measurements (could be some inaccuracy due to perspective distortion) and assuming it is same tripod socket as on M240 than body width Of new M10 is same or very similar to M240.

I made second measurement looking only on of 1/4 inch screw on screen and when compared to actual M240 thickness of M10 and M240 appear to be again the same.

Sorry about being Christmas Scrooge and bursting thinner body wishes.

Nothing odd there, it's positioned offcentre for reasons probably associated with arrangement of camera intervals.

I made some measurements (could be some inaccuracy due to perspective distortion) and assuming it is same tripod socket as on M240 than body width Of new M10 is same or very similar to M240.

I made second measurement looking only on of 1/4 inch screw on screen and when compared to actual M240 thickness of M10 and M240 appear to be again the same.

what do you mean by "arrangement of camera intervals" ?
  • Like 1

The possibility of two M-lines makes some sense, one line for the purists (in this case M10; with weight, size, optical viewfinder and simplicity in focus) and one technically more advanced line (presently the M240-line; offering video and various add-ons). The M10-line would differ from the SL-line in several important ways; and likely enough to keep both lines alive and healthy. Fine for Leica and fine with us. It is, however, somewhat harder to see how a technically more advanced M240-line will distinctly differ from the SL beyond the optical viewfinder.

Or put differently: If the two M-lines become a reality - I guess I could end up with M10 and SL, with the M240-line being neither fish nor fowl. Distinctively different sensors could make both of the M-lines interesting, but this is likely to expect too much.

Edited by helged

You mean the width and length of the bottomplate I presume? Has never changed except M5

You mean the width and length of the bottomplate I presume? Has never changed except M5

Don't know about M5 but bottom plates are significantly different between film and digital M cameras. Just now checked MP [film] and M240, difference in width is about 4.5mm or 0.17 inches.

• Like 1

if there is no video, so   CCD technology with improved features and low light capability could be implemented to address all these need form CCD lovers (including me).

I don't need video and even doesn't know how to switch it on on my M240. what i really need is low light capability - Q can do it better than M, so if they put Q sensor in to the new M10 I'm in.

I want video in a camera this expensive even if I will only use it a few times a year. I am hoping that Leica implemented video through the menu. There is no reason they couldn't designate one of the existing buttons through a custom menu setting.

You can pretty much forget CCD.

• Like 1

If it's an M10, I'm in. Probably. I have M2, M4, M6, M8 so I "need" an M10. Kidding, but was disappointed when the M240 was not an M10. So whatever the M10 is, it will be a bit of an upgrade from my M8.2. My only concern with what was shown is the exterior ASA dial. It looks a bit small and diddly, if you know what I mean. I hope it has a lock of some kind so it cannot be accidentally reset. I don't give a hoot if it has live-view/video capabilities. I have been thinking of the M-P typ 240, but will wait and see how the M10 works out.

Oh, I hate this kind of information so don't yell at me for mentioning it. I got a Tweet that said their Leica dealer told them that dealers still have (or had) a big stock of M240's and that's the reason for the delay in announcing this camera. There was also discussion of a February, 2017 introduction. Again, this is at least 2nd hand info so who knows?

• Like 1