Leica M 10

rijve044

The offset strap loops may help to reduce any accidental tuning of the ISO wheel. I doubt very much it will be a problem.

Also, is that an additional button on the left of the base plate close to where a left thumb might rest, or just a new means of attachment? Intriguing...

Are there any live coverage from the event anywhere?

If you have M240 then you can watch live coverage on its LCD. Just press LV three times, menu ones, set four times and then LV again. It is just a secret functionality built into fabulous M240.

Seriously, I am going back to sleep.

edit: corrected the process.

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 1

As an SL and M240 user, I don't expect to upgrade. I would like the SL's IQ on the M, and I'm sure the new OVF will be stunning, but neither are enough to make a difference. A fully electronic (i.e. silent) shutter might: no news about that or long exposures and LENR.

I don't use the EVF on the M enough to see that as a reason to upgrade (lumpy add-ons are a pain) even if it is as fast as the SL's.

I don't use video, but it's presence on the M240 is harmless; Leica must be banking on more purists buying the M10 than practical photographers avoiding it for that reason.

I'll be keeping an eye half open for a possible QL later in the year (as far as I can tell this has been suggested only by one person here with an unproven record as a source, though I fully expect the rumour to multiply across forums in coming days).

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

IF:

IQ is better than M240

&

LOW / HIGH ISO is improved

&

Visoflex 020 functionality is acceptable (including movable focus / spot meter point) so that R lenses and longer / wider M lenses are easier to use

Overall functionality is improved

THEN

I'm in...

I'll have had great use from my two M240s over the last 4 years and will recover a reasonable amount back from their sale, so I see it as an investment in another 4 or 5 years of new film stock!  I really think we all need to remember that in the age of digital the only improvements we can get in IQ are from firmware updates during a camera's life, from lens design, and finally, by trading in old body / sensor designs for enhanced ones.  Of course I'd love it if we could have swappable sensors, but that's not how things work...

Personally I'm looking forward to the next step... :)

• Like 3

EVF will be improved from the VISO020. Reported earlier and a welcome upgrade.

The viewfinder improvements and new EVF are enough for me to justify the upgrade to M10. I think the importance of these two items (how we view our subjects) is way understated since the specifications have been released.

I think once the reviews start popping up everywhere many folks will change their minds because being able to "see" our subjects and focus accurately is the most important aspect in my opinion.

Thus, the upgrade is much more significant than many people are letting on.

• Like 4

The viewfinder improvements and new EVF are enough for me to justify the upgrade to M10. I think the importance of these two items (how we view our subjects) is way understated since the specifications have been released.

I think once the reviews start popping up everywhere many folks will change their minds because being able to "see" our subjects and focus accurately is the most important aspect in my opinion.

Totally agree.

I also think Leica's timing, improvements, and naming looks very well targeted at the M9 owners, and Leica only knows how many of those were sold. Add to that the usual poaching from dSLR users tired of carrying photo rucksacks laden with multiple heavy zoom lenses, plus dedicated M customers who find each upgrade impossible to resist, and I expect Leica are going to sell truck loads of the M10.

Well done I say.

• Like 8

EVF will be improved from the VISO020. Reported earlier and a welcome upgrade.

It could be if the improvements are as great as you suggest. 

Let's hope they are. I'm still equally interested in the sensor. For me, it's the combination of, and balance between viewing, handling and output that make a compelling camera. Or otherwise.

• Like 2

HUGE correction to make....the evf will be the visoflex 020. My apologies.

There may be a new one coming that will work with the M10 but I am not sure if this information is 100% correct.

Blahhh. Hopefully the new viewfinder makes up for it. I might be able to send more details this afternoon, keeping my fingers crossed...

• Like 3

HUGE correction to make....the evf will be the visoflex 020. My apologies [...]

Yes that's what some of us did expect  for a long time. Could be one of the main concerns for M240 users so no pre-order from me for now.

Edited by lct

I'm certainly curious, but in no hurry.  I just sold one M240 for a reasonable price, and got a second, reconditioned SL, also for a reasonable (in Leicaworld) price.  Now I can keep the R adapter on one SL and the M adapter on the other... And the APO 50 on the remaining 240.

scott

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

I should add that I'm not at all trashing the M10 which looks fabulous. I'd upgrade from an M9 as I'm not into the CCD CMOS debate, I just don't think the upgrade from the M240 or it's iterations is justified unless the sensor is significantly better.

I wonder if we are still on 'PUSH' 100 ISO? I mean 'PULL'!

Edited by bybrett